Gourmet cupcakes, are they worth the price?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Pocs • Aug 27, 2012.

1. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    Gourmet cupcakes shops have sprung up everywhere over the past few years. Some towns have just as many cupcake shops as donuts shops. The price for a single cupcake can typically cost about 4-6 dollars, for a single cupcake cake and I don't even like to think about the price of a dozen, even if they do throw in a free cup of coffee and a additional cupcake. The prices are ridiculous, for a small piece of cake, at least that is what I consider them to be. I would much rather stop at the local bakery and purchase a cake, pie or pastry for just a few dollars more. This way more than one person can enjoy a tasty treat. Your thought?

2. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's a fashion. For this reason prices are so high. In my country the pastry is well developed and the cupcakes have been a great success. Unlike other products, the price is exorbitant and is clearly distinguishable from the rest of the market. There are specialty stores that sell different varieties, many of them exotic, at very high prices. Anyway, I think there's a market for it and people will consume. I find nothing special about this little cakes, but I like to eat, but I would not pay a price that seems fair me. I prefer homemade cupcakes, have more flavor and know where the ingredients come from.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yes and no.

Generally the cupcakes aren't THAT much better than a different cake elsewhere. What you're paying for is whatever makes that particular cupcake special, though. Maybe it's the bright pink icing with extra sprinkles. Maybe it's getting a big one to share with a friend. Maybe it's from a food cart that everyone raves about. It's about the experience and that's where part of the price tag comes from.

4. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    I think that if the cupcakes taste good, and you won't be hurt by the cost, go for it. I think it's the same as something like Starbuck's coffee. Does it really taste that much better than other coffees? That's up to the individual. Do a lot of people buy it, OOOH YEAH! I do. I say try one and see. If you fall in love with them, then they will be worth the price to you!

5. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    There's no way I would pay 4-6 dollars for something I can scarf down within a minute or two. That's just throwing money down the toilet literally. People pay these prices to feel like they can afford the best of the best. I think it's just a marketing scam to get more people to see what all the hype is about. Don't get me wrong I enjoy eating sweets, but there's no way I'll go broke to keep up the habit.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, it's an annoying over-priced fad fueled by Food Network. It's like the food truck fad - I love food trucks but hipsters have taken over and now you can expect to be charged a hefty price for a side of tater tots sprinked with rosemary to go along with your over priced sandwich cooked on a george foreman grill.

7. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Gourmet cupcakes are definitely worth the price. They are beautiful to look at and even better to eat. I love cupcakes and it is something that I love to splurge on. That is why I need to teach English in Bangkok asap so that I can buy as many cupcakes as I like. Cutting back does not suit me, I have discovered. So, splurge on cupcakes...

8. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Why yes they are - it is the taste that makes it worthwhile not just the fashion. I have a place I go to where I get three cupcakes for something like four dollars and each cupcake is the size of my palm. It's a little ma and pop shop and it's been doing business for about a decade now. My favorites are cognac and dark chocolate with a frosting incoporating Barley's Cream. If every I can turn Frank straight I will be marrying him. They are so worth it! So worth it!

9. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I think gourmet cupcakes shop are great for people who are welling to splurge on cupcakes at these shops. I prefer to buy cupcakes/cakes from my local bakery or supermarket because I could feed more people with one treat. Also, our local gourmet cupcake shop closed three months ago.

10. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I'd say no, not really. Granted, the few times I've splurged on them, the cupcakes were really good, as was the ambience of the bakery, and I can't say I didn't fully enjoy that moment, but I can definitely think of better uses for five dollars.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love gourmet cupcakes and they are definitely worth it. They are delicious and are only one serving. I might be tempted to eat the entire cake (over time) if I bought a cake. So, my hips love gourmet cupcakes too.

12. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    My family actually owns a bakery and depending on what you order some cupcakes are quite expensive. We're not using betty crocker box mix. Everything is made from scratch and you have the finest gourmet ingredients. For example, we use imported chocolate for all of our cupcakes that require chocolate. Also the shop cupcakes are usually a lot bigger than standard cupcakes (or atleast they should be if they are more expensive).

13. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    It depends. I think the cheaper cupcakes aren't worth indulging in. Therefore, if I'm going to eat something decadent I do want to it be really good. I rather buy one gourmet cupcake than a pack of 6 grocery store cupcakes. But this isn't a purchase I often make. My food budget is too low to include cupcakes altogether anyway.

14. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think they are "worth it" if you just have a craving. You can buy a box of cake mix for .99 and frosting for $1.50 and bake up a whole bunch of them, but you do have to put your time into it. The only time I think it's worth it is if I am trying an exotic flavor or something that I know I can not make myself.

15. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    Trust me. Having a craving for lobster won't be satisfied with a plate of sardines. If you have a craving for a gourmet cupcake, the box mix just won't do. However, even though my family owns a bakery, I'll still use Duncan Hines at times when I want to eat something sweet that is quick and tasty.

16. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I make my own gourmet cupcakes. that way I know whats in them. i make a really good chocolate cupcake with a cream cheese filling and a fantastic chocolate hazelnut coffee frosting. I like to toast and candy pecans to sprinkle on top. I may need to make some. If ya'll want some then I can sell you some for 4-6 dollars each. lol. My lemon chiffon dream cakes are also off the chain.

17. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    I have a weakness for cupcakes. But I'm also watching my money. So this question is one I ponder often.

I like to make my own gourmet cupcakes too. It makes them less expensive and it's a bit of an art project and I get to share them with friends.

But I am willing to buy a gourmet cupcake maybe once every 3-4 months. Then it's a treat. It's mess free, I don't have to clean the kitchen, I can only eat one (instead of a half-dozen of my homemade ones). So on occasion it's worth the money. Especially once you get to know your local bakeries. So that's part of the determination: if the bakery really worth it!

18. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    Gourmet cupcakes should be priced more than the regular cupcakes, I think. I tried baking them gourmet style, and they do require skills to prepare. The most I could consume them would be once a week anyways, so if I were to get any I should pick the real delicious, special ones. They light up the dining room and may cause happiness. That is added value for a tiny cake. A different consideration is as gifts, gourmet cupcakes are relatively cheaper than baking cupcakes on my own. :)