Great Deal At Yard Sale

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Zyni • Aug 8, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So, this weekend, a nearby day care decided to throw together a last minute yard sale. My oldest daughter stopped for a peak. She picked up a couple toys and a storage rack for less than a dollar.

I asked if they had an kids chairs, and they did. She went back and grabbed two of them for me for just a dollar each. They are super sturdy, hard plastic chairs with metal bases/legs, like the ones used in schools. I have been wanting a couple chairs for the grandkids and would have ended up paying a lot more or getting some chairs that weren't as good and solid.

I thought this was quite a bargain and a good value. Yay for yard sales.

2. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well, I cannot say that I have ever seen a business or a day care hold a yard sale, but I have to say that it sounds intriguing, and probably somewhere where you can get some good stuff, that you might not find at your traditional yard sales either. A storage rack and some toys for under a dollar is certainly a great deal too, so congrats to your daughter. I think I need to keep my eyes open for more things like this. Thanks for sharing.

3. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    Oh man!! Good for you!! I have snagged some tremendous deals over the years at yard sales and garage sales. We once got 2 upholstered wing back chairs in perfect condition and very nice looking for $5 each. That's probably the best deal we have ever come across. But really, lots and lots of good stuff. I love garage sales and I used to overlook the clothes. But there are some great deals on clothes if you have the patience to go through them. My husband refuses to buy clothes in a store and only buys from garage sales and the like. He finds nice clothes easily.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also like the online yard sales that are posted on Facebook. Sometimes the items are a bit more expensive, and I can't afford them, but they do have some bargains posted. I have gotten some good deals at yardsales over the year though. There is a church here that runs a yardsale/thriftshop type thing. It is only open once per week..but I have gotten some fantastic buys there like jeans for a 1.00 or two...and shoes for 2 bucks. It is for a good cause and the prices are super to boot!

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The one here has a sale every so often. They always have great deals. They just did some renovations, so this was a bigger sale than usual. :)

Wow, nice. That was a real bargain on your chairs. I have found some good deals on clothes at times. I got a brand name hoodie that looked new for a couple bucks and when I looked it up, it would have been like $30-40. My kiddo loved it. I think she's going to keep wearing it until she wears it out. It is really cute.

Yes, @Ke Gordon@Ke Gordon, my husband likes those Facebook yard sale groups. I think my oldest daughter joined a couple as well. Stuff goes really quickly here though, in fact, almost as soon as it gets posted.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well some stuff goes quickly. I have posted a few things, that were totally snapped up, d other things just languish without as much as a response. However, in general ,I like the groups for both buying and selling. It is a lot easier to try to make arrangements with somebody in your local community than shipping items across the country or even bringing them to second had stores.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm glad that you found some good deals on those yard sales. They aren't that common over here, 2nd hand stores are much more common, and most people just sell their stuff to the owner of 2nd hand stores rather than trying to sell the item themselves.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like second hand stores too. I've managed to get a lot of good deals over the years via thrift stores and other bargain shopping. I like finding unique items as well.

Do you have consignment shops where you live? I keep thinking I'm going to go unload some stuff at the ones in my area. I'd probably spend whatever money I made from selling my old stuff on buying something else they had for sale though, ha ha. That might not be all bad either though... at least I'd get rid of some stuff and it wouldn't really cost me anything.. they should cancel each other out, right?

9. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I would only go to a yard sale to purchase old antique items and reselling them since people usually don't know the price of their own belongings. I don't really like buying used but if there are items that aren't being sold at stores anymore, then I do go ahead and purchase that item.

10. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Yard sales have great deals but so do consignment shops. Actually, I wonder if such shops make it tough for yard sales. Note, consignment shops are basically yard sales that are open 9 to 5 and six days of the week.

Oh, by the way, for anyone wanting to get into the yard sale or consignment shop business, it's good to know that you don't need old stuff from your home, but rather you can resell things bought on Amazon or eBay.

11. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    These places sometimes have some real treasures -and if you like to look for valuable antiques and collectibles,then places like estate sales and garage sales are both great. As far as antiques go though, you must know what you are searching for-like original paintings instead of prints ,but maybe you just have a hunch -you never know,you might just find a real bargain after all.

12. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really love going to yard sales, and we have found some really good deals that way. It just depends on what kind of prices the person is asking for their items. Last summer I got a weedeater and leaf blower set that are battery operated and usually the set sells for close to $200 and I bought it for $15.
    I really like the battery operated yard tools because they are easier for me to start than gas powered ones are, and they don't need a cord like electric ones do.

13. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I love yard sales. You can really find some good bargains. I have not been able to go much this year but maybe that is a good thing since I tend to spend too much money buying things that I do not necessarily need. Then again I could just turn around and sell them again to try to make some money.