Great Value Store Brand Chicken Nuggets

Discussion in Product Reviews started by writer811 • Jul 3, 2012.

1. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    My family and I got a bag of chicken nuggets from a store brand called Great Value. Right away we could tell the difference in color as the store brand nuggets are bright orange. We made one batch and they tasted absolutely revolting. We eat a lot of processed food and this was the worst. I ate only half a nugget myself. Does anyone else have similar experiences with it?

2. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    I have to admit I had the same experience with there nuggets before. They were terrible and the taste quality was so terrible I could not finish them.

3. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I like store brand from Stop and Shop the best. I rarely buy chicken nuggets, I just mean in general with any food. I have tried Great Value a couple times before in the past, but I don't remember what I bought now. It was ok but not my favorite tho.

4. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Chicken nuggets are not something that you can just randomly pick a brand and eat. Even the ones at McDonald's can be touch and go sometimes. You should've known that those would be nasty.

5. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    That sounds absolutely revolting! Isn't Great Value the Target generic brand? Or was it Wal-Mart? Either way, that sounds like a horrible experience to have a bright orange color. The most offending chicken nuggets I've ever gotten were a crispy tanish color, and they were some dinosaur shaped ones from Costco! Admittedly they were pretty tasty so I can't complain. I do feel bad about how you wasted your money on the generic brand. Chicken nuggets are a hit or miss item to buy frozen. How about making your own next time?

6. Sandy

SandyNew Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the posts here, now I'm certain to steer clear of chicken nuggets if only the kids stop clamoring for them. Did you ever go back and report those nuggets?

7. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    Pretty much all freezer processed foods are nasty. They are already made cheap, so you know the store brand ones have to be made even cheaper and are probably 99.9% filler. I understand being on a budget, but even so you should not feed yourself or your kids this kind of stuff. I only by store brands on things like sauces, pasta, cereal, medicines etc. Things that you really can't mess up or where the brand really doesn't matter.

8. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I won't say that all processed food are nasty. Not exactly healthy, but a lot of it is good. However, chicken, whether it be just chicken, nuggets, wings, etc. are things that you have to buy a small portion of to see if you will like how the manufacturer prepared it. The same animal, but somehow it can vary greatly in how it tastes.

9. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I was once pleasantly surprised to find out that Aldi, has great chicken nuggets. I think all of their products are considered generic. ( well as far as chicken nuggets go.) I have had some bad ones before as well, and no dipping sauce could of saved them.

10. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried the Great Value brand of nuggets and certainly won't now! The best nuggets we have had are actually vegetarian ones. They are made by Morning Star. They can be a bit more expense but they are so good. Give them a try sometime if you can, I think you will be very surprised.

11. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I've purchased a few things of Great Value brand when I've been on a tight budget. The only thing I was actually pleased with was their milk and their frozen veggies - everything else is just horrible. I don't think the nuggets are made of real chicken :( its almost like mystery meat and the school cafeteria lol

12. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    When I get chicken nuggets I have to get the Tyson. They are the only ones my kids will eat. I have tried to get the other brands, but my kids would not touch them at all because of the taste and them looking like cooked cardboard.

13. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    I got Great Value from Walmart but Target may have them too. I wasn't expecting it because I usually don't mind Great Value products and once I even preferred their food over the regular brand. But never again with the chicken nuggets! I didn't report them, Sandy. How would I go about that?

14. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    I really try to stay away from the "chicken nuggets" because they seem to be so overprocessed. I do have kids though, so breaded chicken strips do happen in my house. I try to stick with the chicken breast strips that have been breaded and fried. I don't have to have a name brand...I really don't think this makes a difference. But I do try to stay away from nuggets

15. racechick79

racechick79Active Member

Threads:
    OMG! Can't believe I came across this thread! We bought some because my son wanted them and I just opened them yesterday and I was so scared at the color! I was afraid to give them to my children. They didn't seem to mind, but I tasted one and didn't care for it. I won't be buying them ever again. I felt like I feeding them oompa loompa chicken nuggets!

16. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    When it comes to most foods, the store generic brands are almost always bad. I give yo points just for being brave enough to even try them in the first place

17. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    The only store brand I've really had decent luck with is the Laura Lynn brand from Ingle's. Everything else is, I agree, just downright scary!

18. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Ew, bright orange? I've eaten several brands of chicken nuggets, and I can say that some are obviously better than others and some not so great even. I've never had such an experience that I couldn't even eat them, though. That's awful. :(

19. vagabondmom

vagabondmomNew Member

Threads:
    Store brands are almost always bad? Funny, some money saving advice I've always heard is generics often come from the same place as name brands. It's often the same product, or at least made with many of the same ingredients, with a different label. Though for a brand as big as Great Value I wouldn't be surprised if they do have their own manufacturing facilities.

I happen to agree that the Great Value chicken nuggets taste wrong - we got a bag last week and I can't even get the kids to eat them - but Target brand nuggets and Aldi's are great. And even Wal-Mart's Great Value brand has some good products. Their natural peanut butter is good enough for us, for example.

I think this is something to take on a case-by-case basis. It could be that smaller chains (which Target and Aldi's are) actually have better generics in this case.

20. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yeah, that definitely happens a lot. And comparing them side-by-side, you can sometimes see that the generic brand has some of the misshapen or "less than perfect" product whereas the name brand is all perfectly shaped, sized, etc. They're made of the exact same stuff, though. That's obviously not the case with these nuggets, although maybe it's a matter of the chicken they couldn't use for the name brand nuggets....and then coated in something even stronger to cover it. Ew.