Greek Yogurt

Discussion in Food & Drink started by alc89 • Nov 3, 2012.

1. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    How many of you like Greek yogurt? I am a big fan of yogurt, but as soon as Greek yogurt (or strained yogurt) got big in the market, that's all I can eat! It is so thick and creamy, and I just think it's way better than regular yogurt. Plus, you can use it to substitute fatty and "unhealthy" ingredients. I realized that Greek yogurt, whatever the size, is nearly double (if not more) the cost of regular yogurt. So, I did some research and realized that Greek yogurt is just extra strained yogurt. So, I bought a huge container of store-brand vanilla yogurt that was less than $3.00 and gave this a try. All I did was take a mesh colander over a bowl, put a coffee filter in it, dumped some yogurt over it - and covered it in plastic. I left it overnight, and all the whey strained out. And I got normal, Greek style yogurt! Have you all tried this?

2. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I think Greek yogurt is awesome. I love how it is rich and thick, and still less calories than regular boring yogurt. Although I prefer just buying it already made. Danon is my favorite.

3. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I've wanted to try Greek Yogurt, but I had someone tell me they didn't like it, so I've been a little hesitant about buying it. Is there a brand that you would recommend? After I try the store bought, maybe I will try your experiment with the vanilla yogurt. I would need some more details about what you did.

4. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I had a coupon that made it nearly free, and I'm so glad I tried it. I don't have a particular favorite. Although I'm hooked on the yoplait brand at the moment. There's always good sales and coupons for it. I haven't tried making it myself, but it sounds easy enough. Maybe when I run out of coupons for it.

5. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    The whey that you strain out of the yogurt is very healthy too. You can use it in any recipe that calls for milk. I like to use it in pancakes or put it in smoothies.

6. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I am not really particular with yogurts but then I have tasted some fruit yogurts before and I think they are too sweet for my linking. However if this greek yogurts is really good then maybe I would try to look for one and try it out.

7. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    If you are curious about it, let me know and I can do step-by-step directions. It really is simple and such a money saver if you love Greek yogurt the way I do. Just let me know and I would be glad to share what I do!

I personally like plain or vanilla yogurt. Then, I use a little bit of honey to sweeten it up. If I want fruit, I use fresh fruit (and nix the honey - otherwise, it is way too sweet). The nice thing about using your own fresh fruit is that you don't have to question what's in it or question why it's super sweet. If I'm feeling adventurous, I'll make a compote so it looks more like the fruit you'd find in yogurt (with fruit-on-the-bottom to mix).

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really wanted to like Greek Yogurt. It's high in protein. But it's just to chalky for me. I can barely tolerate it. I tried adding stuff to it to make it more palatable. No such luck.

9. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    I am Greek, and I love Greek yogurt! It is rich and creamy and very good for you! I buy it plain and I add a bit of honey and almonds or walnuts to it. It is not as runny as regular yogurt and it is very filling. It is almost as yummy as having bowl of ice cream :)

10. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    Yum! Almonds and walnuts would taste great. Do you use plain yogurt and eat the yogurt as a savory dish? For instance, my best friend is Bulgarian and she grew up eating very savory yogurt. No honey, no sweet... but olive oil, salt, and vegetables. Is this similar to how Greek people may use strained yogurt? I cannot imagine yogurt that wasn't meant to be sweetened or with fruit as a snack or a dessert.

11. Kam147

Kam147Member

Threads:
    That is a really cool idea for making your own Greek yogurt. I'll definitely try that the next time I make gyros and tzatziki sauce. I am a huge fan of Greek yogurt. My favorite is The Greek Gods brand honey yogurt. I make healthy weight-gain smoothies with it. I've always been a fan of yogurt, and I still eat the regular stuff more often than not, but I was a happy camper when I first discovered Greek yogurt at the supermarket!

12. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    When I was on my smoothie kick, I would put yogurt in every smoothie. It really made a difference. I haven't really made smoothies in a while - I literally went from loving them and making them every day for a month to never touching my blender ever again! What a shame. Thanks for your post, since I've been reminded to get back to drinking delicious and healthy smoothies. Greek yogurt will definitely be a great ingredient to add to thicken it up.

13. Susie

SusieNew Member

Threads:
    I like using plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Plain fat-free Greek yogurt tastes better to me than fat-free sour cream. I use it on fajitas, chalupas, tacos, etc. It seems to taste the same as regular sour cream, but without the fat. Try it sometime. I think you'll like it.

14. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    Hi, Susie, thanks for the tip. I make chili and have "taco nights" since it's super easy and really inexpensive - and there are a ton of leftovers from it. I'm not the biggest fan of how sour cream tastes, but sometimes, that sort of texture is totally necessary in chili or tacos - even quesadillas. Thanks so much for this tip because I love the way plain Greek yogurt tastes and the texture is probably the same as sour cream.