Grilling Food: What Kind Of Charcoal Do You Buy?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Apr 21, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are you particular about the charcoal you use (if you have a charcoal grill), or do you just buy whatever is on sale? My husband always chose Kingsford, but we have since found a store brand that works well for less.

It is middle of the road, price wise. The cheapest stuff tends to crumble and doesn't always light well. The expensive stuff, we just go through it too fast for the price (unless we catch a good summer sale). Mid-range usually seems to be a good option for a lot of things.

Do you have a preference?

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just started grilling again last year. I bought middle of the road, store brand, but since I hadn't grilled in years, I don't know if I made the best decision. I asked a friend after I'd bought it, and Kingsford MatchLight is what he recommended. I still have over a bag of this to use, since it was a 2-fer. It does the job, but when I run out, I might try the Kingsford MatchLight, or another, just to see what I think. I hope others respond, so I can use their feedback in making my decision.

3. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    The truth is I really can't tell much of a difference in taste between the cheap ridiculously difficult to light charcoals & the higher end mixed with wood chips aged in bourbon or whatever charcoal. Maybe it's just me.

4. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Back when I was grilling, there was a charcoal type I saw one summer only. Target used to carry their own brand of charcoal that was not in briquet (square) shape. These pieces were lighter in weight and easier to burn. There was also less waste when it came time to dump the ashes. I've used all kinds of wood chips also and can't tell much difference. The only one that stands out in general is mesquite and that is not a favorite.

5. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Every Memorial Day and Fourth of July Home Depot puts twin 20 pound packs of Kingsford charcoal on sale for around ten dollars--9.88 comes to mind. My husband and I make a point of stocking up. We camp quite a bit and also have the mother of all smokers on our back porch for smoking meats at home, so we like to make sure we buy enough charcoal between those two choice times to take us through the year.