Grocery Store Cashiers Always Mess Up

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Ohyesuare • Jun 4, 2013.

1. Ohyesuare

OhyesuareNew Member

Threads:
    Whenever I go grocery shopping these days I always have to take time and scan my receipt after, because 90% of the time I see that either I was double charged for something or not discounted if applicable. They are in such a hurry even if nobody is behind you in line they just throw the things through the scanner as quick as possible and you can't even follow along on their screen if you wanted to. Anyone else notice this? I now just go to the self scan checkout at the places that have it but not all of them do yet.

2. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    This used to happen to me some years ago. Doesn't happen anymore though. But I have more problems with the so called sales at stores. They'll have two of something for $5, but then say you can only get that if you make a $20 purchase first. Well what if I don't wanna lug home $20 worth of extra groceries?

3. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    This usually doesn't happen to me, but that's why you have to be aware when they do that. People who do that usually are bad cashiers, or just don't care. I've never encountered this other than once or twice.

4. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    It used to happen quite a lot but not so much so in the last few years. A lot of stores started giving you the item free if it did not scan at the self price and I think that is when it started getting better. It is pretty rare now that it happens but I still try to watch the prices as the items are being scanned. I have noticed that some stores almost seem to try and hide this now so it is much harder to do. I think it is better to catch it right then and there rather than after I have left the store.

5. littledipster

littledipsterNew Member

Threads:
    Having worked in a grocery store as a cashier, yes it is possible for us to overcharge, but I've also seen cashiers forget to scan things and the customers getting it for free! One thing you should also look for while checking out is to make sure the cashier types in the correct codes for the produce, often times they may type in random numbers they know instead of taking time to look up the correct code for the specific item!

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have also found that cashiers make mistakes, and often, items are marked wrong before they even get to the checkout , so it is not always the fault of the cashier.
    I used to shop at Kroger, and they have a scan rite guarantee, so if they charge the wrong price, you get the item free. I always checked my sales slip to make sure it had charged the right price, and then went to customer service when I found mistakes, and many times, I came home with free items, due to checkout mistakes in price. Usually, it was something that was supposed to be on sale, but was charged full price, so those are items I watch especially close.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Walmart has price scanners in the aisles, so I scan the prices of things before I go to check out.
    Sometimes the price on the item doesn't match the price it scans at. By scanning everything first, I make sure not to buy those mislabeled items. Cashiers do make mistakes, so I check my receipt afterwards, but catching items that are marked wrong first, prevents extra errors.

8. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I had a massive row in my local shop today because they had a new man behind the counter who charged me over £7 for something that was meant to be £3.55. Because I made the mistake of walking away from the counter before checking my change (but not leaving the shop) the cashier and the manager refused to give me my money back.

9. Ohyesuare

OhyesuareNew Member

Threads:
    That is ridiculous! Don't they have a customer service counter or something? I would never shop there again if I was you. At the places I shop you usually have a few weeks at least to return something. Did you try returning it for a refund?

10. asteriks

asteriksMember

Threads:
    Thank god this hasn't happened to me yet. I usually do calculate how much the items are going to be before I go checkout and give or take a few dollar for taxes, I know it's right. I do check my receipts to be certain though.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only time that I have been mistakenly charged was when the cashier mistakenly thought that a certain item was mine and she included it in my list of purchases. I never noticed it until I got home and looked at the items and receipt. Good thing the item was cheap.

12. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes this happens when there is a huge line and the cashier is just trying very quickly to finish to go on their lunch break. They end up rushing and they miscount everything.
    I once had this happen to me and the cashier ended up doing something in my favor which was giving me a bigger amount of cash back as change.

13. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, perhaps you go when there is a rush or something. I would probably want to change grocery store locations if this happened too often. Mistakes are inevitable, but when they happen often it is a bit of a drag.

14. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    This has only happened to me once, and the cashier was embarrassed by the oversight. If this is happening to you often, there's probably a specific cashier who is really bad at his or her job, and you should probably avoid him or her.

15. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that some cashiers do act like this I have had this happen a few times usually by a young teen who really doesn't care lol. But I don't think all places or all cashiers are like this just depends I guess. But still I do check my receipt every time just in case I get doubled charged or something doesn't ring up right. But it rarely happens I think it might happen like once or twice

16. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    This happens to me from time to time at a particular store, it's important to always do a quick scan of your receipt. I can teel when I calculate the total in my head and then the cashier gives the total and it's a bit higher than I had added up. That can be really annoying. Another thing too is when you have coupons that are suppose to double according to the manager and you get there and they don't double.

17. Jacotah

JacotahNew Member

Threads:
    Hahaha! This actually happened to me a lot before. Then I stopped going to that store. I have learned that it's absolutely worth it to travel a few miles away to go to a store you like. The store I went to cashiers were very rude and kind of dirty. No problem traveling to a store in the suburbs ! And this is coming from someone who is considered a minority in my early 20s.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently went to Walmart on a weekend night, which I normally don't do because it's so crowded. Of course there were 3 items on my receipt that I was double charged for, so off to Customer Service I went.
    This is why I prefer to shop at 6AM when Walmart opens. Nobody is there, so the cashier has time to scan things correctly.

19. dreyz

dreyzMember

Threads:
    Which is why I made it a habit to thoroughly check my receipt after payment. Sometimes you just can't put your faith in them. What's worse? To correct any mistakes, we have to head over to the customer service centre to get a refund for over-charged items. What a bummer. I guess it's the same for other places. (like Walmart as above)

20. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

Same here. But I have many options in my area so I can be choosy. Example? I have a supermarket 5 minutes from my house. I will buy meat, milk, and juice or soda there. And other stuff. Except, Ice Cream, Cookies, Chips, snacks, or frozen goods because they keep them stocked beyond date and I don't trust them. At the giant supermarket at the mall, I will buy just about everything there. This time, it'll be cookies on occasion, but never ice cream because I don't trust their expiration date analysis. But I will buy frozen pizza there.

That supermarket is like 15 minutes from my house. Now when I ride down to Pathmark which is about 4 train stops from my house, I'll get anything and everything there because their stuff is always up to date. Mostly because it's a big store and gets heavy traffic from people crossing the bridge, coming from the subway, coming from the bus, and who live and work in the area. It's a hub for travelers all over really. My only issue with them is the long ass lines. And the credit card checkout machine that most of the times isn't working.