Grocery Store Meat vs Butcher

Discussion in Food & Drink started by SEA81 • May 21, 2012.

1. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I was reading about someone who gets their meat at a butcher vs. a grocery store, and this is something I've never done. I'm wondering if anyone else does this, and what the difference is. They said the butcher meat is generally a better quality, but it is a lot more expensive?

2. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it is a better quality. But not necessarily more expensive. Just like grocery stores you have to see what they have on sale. They also have monthly "packages" if you are on a fixed income. Kind of helps you not have to figure out how much meat you need for the month. The meat is much better quality and fresher.

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. I almost never buy meat from the grocery store anymore. I don't know if the meat is actually better at the meat market, but it looks better, and seems to be fresher. Also, I find that the meat at the meat market is lower priced than the meat at the grocery.

4. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I've tried both and I prefer buying meat from the butcher. The grocery store just has meat sitting there and it's not fresh when you take it home. The butcher always has fresh cuts of meat and they package it nicely for you. Grocery store meat is cheaper, but that's the only thing it has over the butcher. If you want quality, you have to be willing to pay extra.

5. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I like to get it from the butcher because the prices are a whole lot cheaper. There are some meats that are just cheaper and I can't pass up my local butcher shop. I also like that the butcher knows my name. I love that and you don't get that at the deli counter in the market.

6. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    In my own experience it was a lot more expensive. It was great meat, though. Also packed in the freezer paper so much easier to open.

7. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I usually buy my meat in bulk and process it myself. I have a bunch of kids and thats cheaper for us.

8. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I buy from the local butcher and the meat is far better. He gets his meats from local farms that are certified organic and hormone/antibiotic free farms. If I buy over the counter it can be more expensive but if I buy one of his package deals, it is actually less than a grocery store. I compared the prices of the items in his package to the sale prices at a national grocery store and he was about $15 less.

9. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    For general cuts we just buy from the grocery store. When we need something more specific we go to the butcher. Honestly the meat from the butcher is much better quality but we save up the cash for those meats for special occasions.

10. deecee

deeceeActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of the meat being sold in megastores is now being grown in Asia and butchered on board ships as it crosses the ocean. Commercially processed meat in the U.S.is processed in very dangerous and unsanitary conditions. An average of 300 carcasses an hour are processed. If you have a local butcher, it is safer to use them.

11. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer the butcher because the meat is always fresher than the ones I find in the supermarkets. In addition, he is cheaper and I can place my order via telephone and pick it up later in the morning.

12. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I do not like meat and cannot handle the meat section of any store. But my family loves their meat. So, I had to find the best option that does not make my stomach turn. I find that at the butcher. If they are transparent, you know where the meat comes from and if it is clean. We found one, and sticking with it until I can convince them to quit meat. Never gonna happen probably,

13. GGGuardian

GGGuardianMember

Threads:
    I think butcher meat is more expensive but the quality is way more higher than a average grocery store meat.

14. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    Butcher.

The grocery store does not provide the same quality. I do not mind forking over a bit more and getting higher quality meat. My family tends to eat a lot of meat, so making that investment in meat is worthwhile.

15. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I always go for the butcher's option. Most butchers are very knowledgeable about their product, and will offer hints about storage and cooking. Also, they tend to have good offers on basic buys. They also make their own pies and sausages, which are far superior to the mass produces stuff you get in the supermarkets.

16. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    As someone else noted, it is better quality, but it isn't cheaper. Here is a bit of info: all grocery stores go to the same place to get their meat. Whoever gets their first pays double and the rest just get whatever is left. All of these grocery stores charging you more for the exact same kind of meat that its competitor charges down the street.

With this whole pink slime business, you could definitely get pertinent information from a butcher about the different meats, cuts and even recipes!

17. hellocitty

hellocittyNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer going to the butcher. The local butcher is actually on a farm, so the meat is super fresh and local. He even accepts foodstamps which is very nice! If I buy grocery store meat, I make sure it is local and grass fed. Too many times have I seen what corporate farms look like.