Grocery Store Online Shopping

Discussion in Online Shopping started by tasha • Jun 10, 2015.

1. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    there are a few places that have online grocery shopping and it is such a good idea if you have no time to get to the store. Unfortunately the few times that I have tried it I have not received everything that was on my list and they then send me the alternative which is more expensive then the one that I chose. I like to go to the store if you are on a budget as you can then calculate and find your own alternatives.

2. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah I have recently started looking into services like this as well. From the research I have done, there is always something you are going to miss out on no matter which service you use. Whether it be price or item variety, none of the grocery delivery services have it all unfortunately.

3. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    That is true. I prefer going to the shops to buy so that it feels like I have had an outing, lol! But it is also nice to have them delivered when you just don't have the time to get out and shop.

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Usually the large grocery store chains may do an efficient job when it comes to shopping because while you can place your order online, they will later call you up to confirm delivery.

At this point of the order, they may tell you there are some items out of stock and suggest similar products, letting you know the price so you can accept or get the missing items removed from your list.

However this is not a common practice for all grocery stores online.

5. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    The local shopping market here does online groceries, which would be handy at times, but they have a rediculous minimum purchase of €80 and on top of that have a €10 fee for delivery. This would be fine, but I never spend more than €40 every two weeks for groceries. Its the only shop (other than overpriced night shops) that actually delivers to my area.

6. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I have always thought I would like to do online grocery shopping, but then I realized when I'm actually doing my shopping I am very careful about the products I chose, so I'm not sure it would be for me. Plus, I think it might be a lot more expensive than just going to the store myself.

7. katherine25

katherine25Member

Threads:
    I love the idea of this if I didn't have time to get to the store but I'm always on a budget so I prefer to go myself. Another thing is I like to use coupons and find the cheapest price which I wouldn't be able to do online.

8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    One good method to save money is jotting down your shopping list ahead on time, do an online price comparison for your local stores and then divide the list into several smaller, one for the different cheap stores.

This way rather than going to do shopping once a week to a single store, you can go to 2 or 3 the same day or different days and this way you will be saving money because what is costly in store "a" might be cheaper or have a discount price at store "c"

At least this method works for me and, besides online price comparison, I also check the printed flyers reaching my home, or deals published on newspapers.

9. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    Huh! I never would of thought of that! I think you might of saved me a significant amount on groceries! Thank you!

10. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    There are so many of the site that compare prices from store to store and you can also go to the store and let them know that you have seen the items cheaper somewhere else, where they then match it or give it to you cheaper.

11. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    Do you know any sites like this, off the top of your head? This sounds like it could be a really good way of getting prices lowered for for regular things you might need.
    I think more shops should do this though. It would really bring back the idea of having competition, and making certain products actually affordable for people. I feel like some shops up the price of items simply because they can, and they know people will still buy from them.

12. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    I only know of a few in South Africa; pricecheck.co.za, compare.co.za, pricegrabber.com could be an international one. I usually search through these before I purchase when I have time and it works well especially when the stores match or go cheaper

13. LokiLoki

LokiLokiNew Member

Threads:
    I think this is a great idea in theory, especially for people like me who don’t drive. A few weeks ago I biked home with a watermelon in my backpack amongst my groceries and trust me it was a terrible idea! The troubling thing is trying to find places in my area that offer it.

I like the idea a lot for the staple things. Dog food, Cat food, canned goods… and there are, I think, two places in my area that offer produce. I’m thinking about giving them a go because, why not?

So far the closest I get to the convenience of online shopping for groceries is the Flipp App. It lets you compare the cost of grocery stores in your area. Which would help… if I ever made it to the grocery store. I have a terrible habit of making lists and then not actually going out to do the shopping.

14. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Not sure where you are shopping but at both my local grocery stores that offer online shopping, if they are out of an item I've chosen they substitute the most reasonable item at the same price if the price is higher. Most often I get a larger size of the same brand I've chosen, but get it at the price of the size I chose. It is one of the biggest benefits to paying for the service.

I only online shop during weeks where coupons are very good and couponers are at the store in DROVES, clearing shelves of the good deals. If I online shop, I get everything I want and get the deals I want without having to worry about things being out of stock. AND, no fighting with the coupon queens. Double bonus.

15. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would never shop online for groceries, I just know it would be all wrong. I did try an organic place once and the selection was all very small.. not at all worth it. If I shopped from an actual grocery store online, I would expect worse. I'm far too picky about quality and ripeness to ever allow anyone to do my shopping for me lol. Maybe if I ate a lot of packaged foods where it's all pretty consistent.

16. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have bought groceries online before. I've found that it's best for staples, such as pet food, cat litter, canned food, soap, detergent, etc. I tried to order olive oil, but wasn't able, because of some sort of restriction. I still don't know what that was about, because it made no sense to me. I've tried ordering lighter products, but the packers for some reason put those on the bottom, underneath the heavier items (repeatedly), so I stopped ordering groceries online entirely. I liked the fact that I didn't have to handle the heavy items, other than carrying the boxes into the house and unpacking them, but with the packing issues and ruined (crushed) food, it ultimately just wasn't worth it.

17. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    I wish we had that here but we don't even have coupon specials and I think that the online shopping experience is not as advanced yet.

I found the packing also an issue when I received my stuff as they eggs were broken before I even got one out of the box. I also had squashed bread which is such a hassle to go and take back

#17Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
  18. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the links! I'll see if i can find something similar for my area :)

19. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not all that fond of the idea of having someone else pick out and package up which foods I am going to have delivered to my home. When I am in an actual supermarket, I like to be able to select which packet of the variety of crisps that I like. I like to be able to select which tin out of the tinned foods that I want. Other people aren't going to do that like I am.

20. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, I wasn't able to have actual non-perishables delivered, but I definitely wouldn't do that with the company I was using. The potato chips, oatmeal and crackers I ordered came at the bottom of the boxes, squashed under 35 lb containers of cat litter, large multi-packs of canned cat food, and 30 lb bags of kibble. Who does that? I'm glad you at least had the option to take the food back to the store. That also wasn't an option with Walmart, because they insisted that returns be processed in the same method as the original order, in other words, I had to ship the items back to them, then wait for reshipment. It was ludicrous.

I would love to have the option of having bread, eggs and other perishables delivered, since it's a hassle to run out to get them. I tend to do most of my shopping in one monthly trip, then fill in as I need items throughout the month, but I try to limit the trips as much as possible.