Growing broccoli

Discussion in Food & Drink started by maddie • Mar 8, 2013.

1. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Have you grown broccoli ever? I just ordered some seeds today and I am excited.. This is one of the expensive vegetables here and I would like to grow it myself.. do you have any tips for me if you have grown this in containers?

2. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have grown broccoli in the past, it's one of my favourite vegetables to eat. Broccoli needs plenty of sun and fertile soil, quality soil is the key to growing broccoli because they are very hungry for nutrients.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The post above is correct, broccoli needs a very rich soil to grow in. As the most popular member of the cabbage family, broccoli is always in high demand at the table. This cool-weather crop is best grown in spring or fall, and tastes sweetest when it matures in autumn, when nights turn chilly. Broccoli seeds sprout best when soil temperatures range between 60 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

Read more:

4. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    This sounds very interesting. I have never though to even grow my own brocoli because in my mind it seems like it would be too time consuming.
    I would try it out if I definitely knew how the brocoli would turn out. It doesn't sound like something I would definitely be willing to try out during my summer vacation (haha).
    Let us know your process with your brocoli!

5. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    @Bolt thanks for the information. I think I will be able to provide the soil it needs.
    @ Pat, thanks for that link.. I will check it out right away.
    @ Anna Usorova, I will let you know how it goes. I am excited.

6. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Maddie I am excited for you! I love broccoli and I would love to grow it if I had more time and space for gardening. I would need a lot of area to have several plants and I would stagger the growing so that I didn't start all the seeds at the same time. That way I would not harvest all the plants at once and be able to have lots of fresh broccoli. It gets so hot here though I would probably need shade cloth by lunch time.

7. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I have not yet planted the seeds.. but will after Easter when I have more time for my plants.. I am wondering if they can withstand the heat now.. The temperatures are soaring now and I may have to do a lot to keep my plant alive. I think I will pant just a few at a time as you say.

8. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Maddie, you'll have to find a shady spot or a spot where you can create shade as needed. Your broccoli will need light, but I think it's a cool weather crop so maybe you can move it during the hottest part of the day. Maybe if you have a spot that gets morning sun, shade, and then evening sun.

9. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I was reading somewhere that broccoli sprouts are so nutritious that one sprouted seed has 30x the nutrients of an entire head of broccoli! Is this true? I've been getting into growing my bean sprouts because supposedly the nutritional value of the plants peak at the sprouting stage. You can grow your own greens garden (as sprouts) indoors year-round. You just need a grow light for some things.

I guess you could always transplant the broccoli sprouts to a garden, but growing a garden outdoors is beyond me at this point (maybe a small box garden).

10. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    That would suit me fine.. I have more shade than sun.. because I grow most of my stuff indoors. I still haven't gotten around to planting my broccoli.. the heat is making what I have wilt and dry out.. all my spinach has dried even though they are not in the direct sun and are being watered often. I will have to do more work before I plant the seeds. Thanks Chanell for the information.

I eat a lot of sprouts.. mostly all the beans I eat is sprouted. I haven't hear of broccoli sprouts being 30 x more nutritious than the head itself. I need to check that out .. thanks for sharing the information.

#10Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  11. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    How do you grow broccoli? I have never even thought about it! I am growing my own veggies this year, and growing them from seeds.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never thought of it either. Have you planted them yet? I would love to know how they get on for you.. I was hoping to start my own garden this year but I just never get around to starting.

13. Lilley1

Lilley1Member

Threads:
    Hi Maddie,
    Have you planted your broccoli yet? If so, any tips you can share from your experience so far?

I just started my first garden and have become addicted! :D I have considered growing broccoli from seeds as well. I think I will give it a try and see how it grows but stagger the seeds like you and Chanell mentioned. Great idea!

14. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Lilley, we seem to have skipped spring and gone directly into summer.. I didn't get to plant the seeds.. now it is too hot and the local planting season is almost over.. I may have to wait until early autumn to plant them now as where I live is pretty hot and humid.

15. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never knew that you could grow broccoli yourself that's pretty cool I don't eat it nor like it so I don't care for it much

16. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Bummer! I don't know what the heck the weather is doing here. One day it's winter, the next day it's summer; then spring comes back, then summer, then winter, then summer... it's been crazy. I am just going to plant and adjust as needed. I want to start some lettuce and spinach; if I need to I will move the plants into the shade. I may even try a bit of each in a pot on the windowsill. Still not ready to take on broccoli though, lol.

17. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Bummer it is! It is really hard trying to understand what the weather is doing. We are in mid summer now and even the plants in the shade have been scorched. There has been no rain at all. Usually we would have had a few thunder storms and some good showers which brings down the temperature. Looks like there is no respite from this heat though it promises to rain every day.. empty promises.