Growing From Seeds

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Diane Lane • Jun 14, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you find it easy to grow from seeds? I've grown a few things from seeds, mainly vegetables, but usually have more success when I buy starter plants. If you've had success growing from seeds, do you have any tips for those of us who are looking to do so?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's always better to plant the seeds in a nursery before transferring them to the garden. This makes your work a lot easier because should the seeds not sprout you can easily find out why they didn't. For example if bugs eat the seeds, you'll find that out easily enough.

Starters plants tend to be somewhat expensive so I never buy them.

3. Diane Lane

Threads:
    When you say nursery, do you mean in the cardboard (the ones that breakdown in the soil eventually) containers in the house, or somewhere outdoors? I have limitations in the house, because I have very curious kitties who enjoy eating plants. I no longer have indoor plants because of them, and even a stray flower or two is often attacked. I might be able to find a place to secure a few small containers of dirt and seeds, though, if indoors is the best way to go. I agree about the cost of starter plants, that's why I am reconsidering starting from seeds.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you have the "space," outdoors would be a better option.

You won't need cardboard boxes either though if you can get lots of toilet paper [cardboard] cores, those would be much better. You can cut each core in three, fill the pieces with soil and place them somewhere damp where they'll get a little sunlight but not too much of it. Plant the seeds and cover each core with a little dry grass/mulch. Wait a few days and take a peek. If the seeds have germinated, remove the mulch but don't take the plants out of the shade yet. You can water them if you feel they need the water and once they're big enough to be moved to the garden . . .

Even without cardboard boxes and toilet paper cores, you can plant the seeds directly in your backyard nursery. But you'll need a lot of mulch to cover up the nursery once you've planted the seeds or find a better way to screen them from direct sunlight.

5. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Oh, I always have extra toilet paper and paper towels cores hanging around, since I often use them as cat toys. I never would have thought of using them to grow seeds in, though, what a novel use of something many people simply discard. I would put them on the balcony, under a table for shade, so that shouldn't be a problem, and I can borrow some mulch from the neighbors. Your way sounds very easy, and I never knew about using mulch to protect them, thanks!

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My dad uses polystyrene boxes (like the ones they have fish in) for his planting of seeds. He sometimes uses vegetables that are sprouting and put them back in to grow. I have read some do grow faster by seeds, but it also depends on when you plant them and the weather where you are.

Birds and wildlife will pick at them though so you do need to cover them and keep an eye on them.

7. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Does he leave them in those containers when he puts them in the ground, or remove them and plant them directly in the soil? I wondered about the birds, and I have one really nosy squirrel, as well, so I for sure will cover them up with the mulch, and probably hide them somewhat, also, just for extra security. The balcony gets quite a bit of sun, so I could just put them out in that for a couple of hours, probably, and secure them the rest of the time.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes he leaves the containers as they are easy to move around and allow water through . He uses some green netting to cover them and tucks them underneath the boxes so it stops the birds at least. He has a whole row of them and each one has a different vegetable in it, so cabbage, lettuce, and spinach mainly. Having it in a box is less work for digging too!

9. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Oh, ok, so he never actually plants them in the ground, but leaves them in the containers on the porch or other site even when they become full sized? I have some fairly large pots/containers on the balcony, which is where I grow most of my plants, even though I do have back and front yards. It's easier for me to manage when it's all in one place, and there are less animals that get into them up on the balcony. I've got at least one armadillo that digs ruts in the yard, so I'd rather not plant seeds/plants there.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    He does both and has a greenhouse for when there are too many insects and puts them in there depending on the weather. In the ground are runner beans and potatoes, those need more space to grow. For plants he does too and we have a lemon tree that attracts lots of insects.

The good thing about the containers is that you can move them around if the weather turns and you can always move them out later once they have been established.

11. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I have grown a lot from seeds in the past, but I also have a lot of disappointment when, for whatever reason, some of the seeds just don't take. But all that you can do is try your best and hope that you get some lovely flowers to show for your efforts at the end of the attempt! As long as you follow the instructions on the packets, you should be fine. And then once you've started to grow your own, you can harvest the seeds yourself for next year, meaning that you could save a lot of money!

12. Diane Lane

Threads:
    That's a good point about harvesting the seeds. I have a friend who does that, but she's not near here, so I can't watch her to learn how to do it. I suppose there are videos on YouTube of that, since there are of most other things, so I'll have to do some research, since I've never attempted it.

My favorite plants are perennials, because I don't have the money or patience to replace plants year after year, and it's comforting to know that my favorites will be back again and again. We have a long growing season here, and rarely have hard frosts, so I'm able to leave my plants out year-round, and only have to cover them up for short periods during the Winters.

@Theo@Theo, most of mine are in containers for convenience, as well. It's nice to be able to move one if it seems to be getting too much or not enough sun, or to move it to a covered place if the rain is doing it in.

13. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I do yes and as I never buy starter plants - would just say - that as growing from seed is both a very satisfying and extremely rewarding way of growing plants - please don't be put off by past experience - as it really is possible to grow a wide variety of plants from seed - providing they are sown in the correct way and at the right time of year.

The latter of which is one of the main keys to success - particularly as not all seed species germinate in the same way - which roughly speaking means - that although the majority of vegetables and flowering annuals generally germinate very successfully - when sown in spring to early summer - there are many other plant varieties and especially perennial plant seeds that are doomed to failure if sown at that time.

For the simple reason that - although there are a few half hardy perennials that may germinate if sown outside in Spring just before the last frost - as the majority of perennial seeds are what are known as “ cold germinators “ - meaning the seeds need to go through cold temperatures in order to break their dormancy and germinate - the best results are generally obtained if sown outdoors - either in the ground where you want them to grow or in pots - somewhere between October and March.

So as I noticed that you mentioned perennials are your favorite plants and am thinking those are what you are wishing to grow - my best tip would be - to sow them outdoors at the optimal time - especially as doing that combined with sowing at the right depth, keeping them slightly moist and out of direct sunlight - will without a doubt - give you the very welcome surprise of a healthy lush looking plant in the early spring.

14. watsadamen

watsadamenMember

Threads:
    I don't have a green thumb but I have always wanted to try planting from seeds. Right now, I am in the process of growing chili peppers. I tried it before but when the plant grew a foot long, I transferred it in the garden and horrible insects ate my plant :(.

Anyway for my 2nd attempt, I planted my seeds using toilet paper rolls at first but the rolls became soft and mushy after a few weeks of watering. When the seeds grew, I transferred the seedlings to ice cream paper tubs. I just poke the bottom of the tub with a nail for drainage. Hopefully this time, my experiment will be a success. Fingers crossed.