Growing Vegetables In Shade

Discussion in Home & Garden started by cocolgooh • Mar 15, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Are there any vegetables that thrive when grown in the shade? I have a section of my garden that I'd like to use to make my vegetable garden larger but I don't now what to put in it. It's in the shade because of a tree on someone else's property so I can't really do anything about making it less shaded, but I'd like to use the space for something if possible.

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Well here's some good news - providing the section of your garden you wish to plant in isn't shaded by anything other than the tree - there are - as the shade from a tree canopy is generally partial shade or filtered sunlight rather than dense shade - depending on climate - quite a large number of edibles that will grow and thrive in dappled shade.

However as I'm not sure what type of climate you have - you generally can't go too far wrong choosing any of the following - particularly as the majority of the edibles listed here do well in shade - in most climates.

Part shade vegetables - meaning they require - 2 to 4 hours filtered sunlight

swiss chard
    kale
    spinach
    salad greens - including lettuce - arugula, endive, rocket, chinese cabbage and cress

Part sun vegetables - at least 4 hours of filtered sunlight

beans
    beet
    broccoli
    cabbage
    cauliflower
    leek
    and possibly even carrots and onions - particularly as too much sun can cause them to grow more top than root

Herbs - most of the following are suited to partial shade

parsley
    mint
    chives - including garlic chives
    cilantro
    wild garlic

and possibly even - although they may not grow quite as large as they normally would as they generally require full sun

basil
    bay
    sage
    thyme
    and oregano - all of which are certainly worth a try - if you get a fair amount of filtered sunlight

Fruits however are a little more limiting - as the only fruits that immediately spring to mind that will tolerate dappled shade are

currants - both red and black
    gooseberry
    blueberries
    alpine strawberries
    and rhubarb

3. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Plants with a large surface area are suited for growth in shady conditions. Plants like kales, broccolis and other leafy vegetables excel in such conditions with some adjustments. For example, do not plant closely so that the little sunlight available will be able to penetrate through. It is not good to overwater since water is not a problem in such conditions. Keep watch over fungal diseases. They tend to thrive in shaded and wet conditions.

4. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you both for your answers. It looks like there are plenty of options I can try in that area then! I'll definitely have to get the area dug over and see what I can get put there. It isn't a huge area but by the sounds of it there's quite a few herbs that can grow there so I might even turn it into a large herb garden area.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, cool weather crops like leaf lettuce and potatoes are good cool weather or shady conditions type vegetables. I get a lot of sun around here, so I always opt for tomatoes, but cool weather crops are good to plant too, in the Fall, or early Spring. I don't know if I will plant too many things this year though. I have other things going on. They can be a way to save money though.

6. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    You're more than welcome cocolgooh and think that a herb garden sounds like a great idea.

I would however just say - although you possibly already know this - if planning to plant anything from the mint family - as they're extremely invasive and can take over a whole garden in next to time - all varieties of mint are generally best grown in pots.

Oh and speaking of mint - if you haven't yet tried growing “ chocolate mint “ - its one that I would highly recommend giving a go - especially if you like chocolate - as not only is the attractively colored foliage with its exquisite aroma a wonderful addition to any herb garden - but more importantly - it adds an irresistibly delicious minty chocolate flavor to food and drinks - of all kinds.

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love mint, and we have it growing in the yard, and in the shade as well; but I have not heard of chocolate mint, and that does sound like something that I would love, too !
    I also like that mint is good for discouraging mosquitoes, and we seem to get thos little pests during the summer months.
    We have trouble getting grass to grow under the shaded areas below the trees, and I have been planting flowers like iris, and lilies that grow okay almost anywhere. You might like to try mixing soime flowers in with the greens and other veggies that you are planting in the shade.
    I just ordered something called dinosaur kale, which grows several feet tall, and should make a great edible ornamental, and I am planting some of that in the partially shaded area in the front yard.
    image.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You could also try growing spring onions in the shade. They often do quite well when they don't get too much sunshine. You have to expect them to grow slower though so you should try to plant them early because should you get too close to summer it might be too late. Good thing though is there's the shade — the heat won't kill them.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is definitely good information to have. I tend to plant my container crops on my balcony, which receives full sun part of the day, but I have considered planting some on the lower back porch, which is covered by the balcony, so is shaded most of the time.

As far as trees hanging over the yard from elsewhere, I sometimes borrow a friend's tree lopper (long stick with blade and rope attached), and trim the most offensive branches, usually the ones that overhang the balcony and drop nuts/leaves, or the weaker branches that could fall and make a mess if they're not removed.