Growing Your Own Food

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Vinaya • Aug 21, 2016.

1. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Do you grown your own food? Have you consider growing food?
    I grow my own food. I have a farm in Nepal. I growrice, corn, lentils, mustard, wheat and vegetables. The primary purpose of farming is growing our own food,however, whenever we produce surplus, we sell out grains and produce to the consumers and trader and make money. We use this money to buy fertilizer and seeds next season.

2. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    We actually just made an offer on a farm that has a well established vegetable garden and are going to start growing some of our own food. We live in the Northwest of the USA and have great weather for growing a lot of different fruits and vegetables. The farm we are moving to has mature apple trees and blackberry bushes already and I am going to add some blueberry bushes in as well. We are going to try to be as self sustaining as possible.

3. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I realized the most profitable online opportunities for creative people into writing, graphic design, photography etc. is to start a blog or youtube account and gather revenue from advertisement. "Content mills" and data entry jobs are a unreliable source of money, and are just out there to make quick cash instead of a living from them, those kind of businesses are not really making a lot of money from their clients to actually pay decent wages. Content mills could be useful to put an unexperienced writer's skills into tests, but expect to not be well compensated for your efforts.

Also, if the website use a referral system, be prepared to earn by your own far less than 5$/hour -slicethepie, inboxdollar, swagbucks etc.-. My advice is, if you want to really start a successful career online, don't spend too much time in beermoney sites and focus your time and energy in becoming good enough to be a competitive freelancer or to be actually hired as a content writer. There is plenty of job out there online, but you actually need a skillset, and you are against the world instead of your local peers at your physical place.

4. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    Oh how much I would love to do this, unfortunately I don't have the funds to take advantage. I really want to grow potatoes, and corn. I love collecting lots of food because I prep, but not as much as some.

I also want to setup my own aqua-ponics system, but it takes time and money as well.

5. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    I would if I could. Many years ago, when I was living in the rural area, I used to grow many of the things I eat. I also reared ducks and chickens. Plus a couple of goats. It was a good life.

However, circumstances took me to the city. In the city, everything has to be bought. There is absolutely no space to grow anything. I live on the fourteenth floor. I have thought of hydroponics but after looking carefully at the drying area, which is the only area with a little bit of sunlight, I know it's mission impossible.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Eventually! I hope. Very jealous of those who can. I'm in a great place for it now. But until (or rather, if we decide to) buy land, we're pretty limited. I do want to start a container garden though and do what I can for now.

7. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    This has always been something that I would want to do. The joy of reaping the produce when it matures would be motivation for me to be engaged in this activity. Unfortunately, where I am living there is no land space to do any planting, therefore, have to only think about it. I am hoping that maybe I could be able to get access to some land space elsewhere where I could plant some small crops.

8. Aree Wongwanlee

Threads:
    Have you considered the possibility of hydroponics as a way to grow plants in a limited space? All you need is some space with some sunlight. You don't need any land. Just grow the plants in containers. You don't even need earth. Just water and the necessary nutrients for the plants. I believe there are kits being sold for this way of growing plants. Ah, if only I have a little space with sunlight.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes! I have :) my new home is all windows and light, but nothing direct, sadly; we're in the trees. I was going to look into it more to see what I could still do.. maybe this is enough? It's been forgotten on the back burner, so thanks for the reminder :)

10. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    When I was younger, my mom turned our whole back yard into a food garden. We lived off it for the whole summer and had enough to can for the winter. It helped us get through some hard financial time by cutting our groceries down and improved our health. I think if you have the room, everyone should try growing their own food, even if it's just herbs.

11. clair02

clair02Member

Threads:
    That is amazing. Unfortunately I stay in a place where even a little garden would be impossible to maintain and the most I can do is grow a few herbs on my windowsill. I so envy anyone who is able to grow their own food. Aside from the obvious health benefits, you must be saving a lot of money.

12. Aree Wongwanlee

Threads:
    Maybe you should try to find out what kind of plants would grow well in the shade. I remember that chillies would normally require a lot of direct sunlight. Then I found a species which came from the highlands and it grew well in the shade. I am sure there are other vegetables which can grow well without direct sunlight. Of course, you don't need direct sunlight to grow mushrooms.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I can think of a few things now and mushrooms alone would make it all worth it, lol. I have some time today to dig a little deeper :)

14. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    We have grown some beautiful vegetable gardens over the years. We eat what we can and share with neighbors and family and we usually still have some left to take to the local food pantry. I always put a lot up in the freezer and some in jars too. We don't do it every year though. The problem here is we don't have well water. We do have drip irrigation though which reduces the water cost. Weather can also be a factor. There has been more than one occasion that the spring rains washed up all of our newly planted seeds.

15. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    We have some fruit trees but they are still pretty young. We were able to have some peaches this year and they were so sweet! We also did some tomatoes on last year and got a nice amount. What are you using to keep the bugs away? Oh and we do have chickens! At one point we had so many eggs until a wild animal killed many of them.

16. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    Me never but my grand mother did so. She grew most of food in back yard of our home. That was her hobby she love the gardning and spend her whole day there as my grand father was died before my birth but i saw my gani spending her time in our garden and dreaming about her plants growth. It's also time taking and in our hectic lives seems difficult a bit.

17. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have an extended garden where we plant some crops like corn and cassava for personal consumption. But when there is a good harvest, we give away some to the neighbors. You may call it leisure farming but our objective is to have fresh produce as ingredients for the kitchen. Take for example cassava, we bake cassava cake whenever we have a harvest and we only harvest it right before processing for baking so our cassava cake is made from real freshly harvested cassava. In our backyard, we also have ginger, pepper, tomato, lemon and some other small plants for kitchen materials.

18. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Its makes economic sense to grow your own food. The cost of production is much lower compared to the cost of the produce at the market. We grow bananas in our garden which supplements our food budget saving on money, time and effort as bananas require little in terms of cultivation and maintenance as well as being drought resistant.