Guess Who

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by LadyMiles • Oct 26, 2014.

1. LadyMiles

LadyMilesMember

Threads:
    I am a huge store that has a little bit of everything you need. I'll price match for your convenience. I I have like 30 available checkout lanes BUT will only have 3 open. Who am I?

2. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm there are a few that come to mind but my initial thought is that you are probably Walmart...maybe? Lol. Am I close at least? Unfortunately this is the case with a lot of larger stores :(.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm assuming you are referring to Wal-Mart, but the same could be said for Target, which does that on purpose to lure people into buying more stuff while they stand in line. I forget where I read about that, but they are basically assuming that once you are in line you are more or less a captive audience for all the impulse buy items in the checkout lanes.

The other thing that really drives me up a wall, is one of those lanes will be the "express" lane, but they *always* put the slowest most incompetent cashier on that checkout.

I've literally walked out of stores, and left my entire buggy of items there, when the lines were taking too long. In particular, I've done this several times at Topp's grocery stores when they were still around. They were notorious for making people wait like 30 minutes to check out, because the cashiers would putz around and chit chat with the customer they were ringing up, then they couldn't remember any of the produce codes and had to look everything up one at a time, or stop everything and have to call someone over for a price check. Half the time there was nobody at the registers at all, and you could see the cashiers just standing over by the managers office just chatting with each other, oblivious.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Probably Walmart. I don't shop there because I have had so many annoying and bad shopping experiences at Walmarts when I lived in another city. Thanks to that and some of the things they have done that make me so mad I boycott them.

5. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    LadyMiles, stores are not an I because they are you [plural], and are not a living thing that can do things. A person can be a store, business, or corporation, but a man or woman cannot be a person aka stage mask.

So to answer you question,"You're writing jibberish."

6. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    You are almost correct, valientx. However, corporations recently gained "personhood" in the U.S.:

So, I think the mega-conglomerate giant businesses that are swallowing us all would actually use the word "I."

Why does Wal-Mart have so many checkouts? They use the same registers at opposite ends of the store every day anyway.

7. spacetimecontinuum

spacetimecontinuumMember

Threads:
    Ha! fun game, this feels like Target, but there's also a store called Jack's in New York, which fits just this description. Tis probably safe to say that there are far too many stores who your post describes.

There's nothing about the shopping experience which drives me absolutely livid, more than there being huge lines of people waiting to pay and inadequate amount of tills/cashiers open. I just want to scream at management and "say are you blind? Can you not see the mayhem out here, get some people on the tills or I'm outta here!"

Thank God for online shopping, that's all I can say.

8. preacherbob50

preacherbob50Member

Threads:
    Probably Walmart but try going to CVS. There are almost always 2 or 3 checkout lanes but only one person working in the entire store. You are guaranteed a wait so you can catch up on some reading or something while in line. And may God grant you extra patience if one of the customers needs something from out of a locked glass display case. cheers.

9. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Corporations are persons, which is simply a "mask," because the word comes from the Greek word "persona" which meant stage mask. A person or mask, can be anything, however, a man or woman cannot be a person - that's the difference. Think of the word person as being synonymous with the word "avatar."

The capital letter I [the symbol looks like a decapitated body without a head], has to do with Capitis Diminutio Maxima, and all it meant was a total diminishing of one's status in a society, thus corporations are the lowest member of a society while the public or people are the highest; a lower-case "i," means one has not been diminished in status at all, and the symbol looks like a man with its head still attached.

Wal-Mart has a lot of checkouts, as a precautionary measure and convenience for customers, but they're losing money by having a person attend a cash register that isn't being used or only used so often - it's about money and risk management. There's no point in having all checkout lanes, when a few can do the job. You need to think beyond your own wants and needs, if your ever going to understand these dynamics of store management.

People who complain and whine about long shopping lines at Wal-Mart, are over-privileged and have a delusional prestigious attitude, it's that simple. Be happy people even line up in in Wal-Mart stores, because a lot of people from other countries do practice queuing or lining up at all.

#9Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  10. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    It's probably Wal-Mart. They are the only store I can think of with around 30 lanes for checking out. I think the beating up on Wal-Mart is getting a bit too easy though. The fact is that they just don't have a good pool of applicants to work with. If they did they might have a better reputation for customer service.

11. LadyMiles

LadyMilesMember

Threads:
    I was just in there the other day and asked an employee for some assistance and he literally walked right by me while saying, "sorry, I'm off the clock". No offer of finding someone that could help me or anything. I can't fathom ever treating someone like that. Even if I don't work at a store and someone needs help, I offer. I know this can happen anywhere but lately it seems as though Walmart has been topping the list of horrible customer service.

12. Athena02

Athena02Member

Threads:
    Definitely has to be Walmart in this case. I've seen tons of complaints of people saying that Walmart only has 2-3 lanes open when they have 30+ available. I've always wondered why they do that. And I assume that they have more lanes open on busy days right?

As for the "sorry, I'm off the clock" line, its pretty common in large service related companies, although there are a few out there that make it a point to put the comfort of the customer above everything else.

13. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I don't disagree with you at all. I've rarely had good interactions with the workers there. They don't seem like they care at all what kind of image they project and the service is less than adequate. Unfortunately I don't see this changing unless Wal-Mart were to start losing business because of it. I don't see that happening though. Because of the low prices there people will put up with a lot that they otherwise wouldn't.

14. LadyMiles

LadyMilesMember

Threads:
    I remember when I was assistant manager of a local family dollar store and no matter if I was working, in shopping on a day off, or just checking on the store I was always open to help a shopper with any and all concerns. I believe if more workers would take that approach, just maybe shopping at some stores wouldn't seem like such a task. A local Smith's store is phenomenal when it comes to taking care of their customers. There has never been a time that I have shopped there that I have not been asked by an employee how my day was going, was I finding everything OK, etc. It is employees such as those who make shopping a positive experience.

15. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    By far the store with the worst customer service around here is the Dollar General. Every time I go in there they treat me like I'm a criminal or something. They rarely say anything to me and give me strange looks. Not sure what's going on there. I checked out last night and the cashier didn't say a single word to me. It's beyond bizarre. The level of customer service there is even worst than it is at Wal-Mart and that's saying something.

16. preacherbob50

preacherbob50Member

Threads:
    I was going for a reply to Valiantx but on this pad I would have to quote the entire 4 paragraphs. I just wanted to run a quote on one particular paragraph which alluded to an idea that as a customer of an establishment I shouldn't worry about my time being wasted but think of the big picture which is the corporate structure I am endeavoring to trade with.

When I go into a place of trade it is because I am invited. The door has an open sign on it and there are generally some "for sale" signs posted. I really do not care what the definition of their proprietorship is but simply, "what do you want to trade today?" If no one wants to put forward an effort to trade with me, I leave. I do not care what their structure is, how many employees they can afford, or what their problem is. You want to sell me something so show me how badly you want to sell it. I am a retired restaurant owner so service and product guarantees are 1st nature to me. I have always wanted my guests/customers to feel like there is something wonderful I have to offer and it is well worth their time to peruse through what I have to trade.

If I had anything to do with public relations for Walmat and read the above posts there would be a bunch of people looking for work.

17. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    In the UK we have several stores that match the description. Tesco, Morrisons, Asda, Sainsburys - all compete and claim will match prices. Yes checkouts can be closed but also offer self service ones. They all have their strengths and weaknesses and I find that as long as you feel that you have had a fair deal where prices are concerned you don't worry so much about closed checkouts.