Guilt From Purchasing Gifts From Outlets

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Miaka_M • Jun 12, 2015.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    When I was younger I would feel very guilty when purchasing gifts from outlets. I would feel like I were cheating my friends when their gifts cost under $10 even though they were worth a whole lot more in the stores. Now, I don't feel guilty at all, its just a very good deal! Have you ever felt this way when purchasing gifts from an outlet? It's the thought that counts, right?

2. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I never feel guilty about making a wise spending choice, regardless of who the purchase is for. The only time I've felt guilty is when I've tried to save money and ended up buying a cheap, knock-off, poorly constructed instead of the real thing.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I've never felt guilty at all. Outlet stores have really saved the day for us in the past. I strongly believe that it's all about having the eye for quality and aesthetics. I have never just gone for something because it's say £10, I look at the overall package. If it's something I would happily use myself, then I know it's a good gift.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have felt guilty when I purchased an item for a gift from a second hand store. I item still had the tag on it, was in like new condition. Of course I did not tell the person it came from the second hand store when I gave it to them. They seemed to be very pleased at the time they received the gift.

5. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    My mom just brought me a whole bunch of handbags she was getting rid of. Three of them were Coach bags from the outlet. I've never carried a Coach bag before, even though they seem to be all the rage in my small suburban town.

It is funny how many times I've been complimented on my purse since carrying one or another... I want to say, "You know this is from the outlet?" I guess people don't know. Or they don't care.

6. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    You said you felt guilty about it when you were younger. I guess you're ok with it now. At least I hope you are because there is really no need to feel guilty about saving money on a good gift. And by shopping the outlets it just might be that you are able to get better gifts than if you shopped somewhere else simply because the prices for something decent at the somewhere else are out of your range.

7. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I don’t have any outlet stores near me, but I wouldn’t feel guilty for purchasing a gift from one. Actually I’m quite fortunate, my friends and I like to brag to each other when we find awesome things for super cheap. So I think they’d congratulate me if I found them something they’d love for $10 or less.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's the thought that counts and not the price as you get older. You should never feel guilty as gifts should come from the heart and it's not how much they cost. Everyone goes outlet shopping and why not? It;s only if people want to return it, then that's more of an issue, but a decent person would not return a gift anyhow.

I had an ex who would buy me expensive things to make up for being late and a whole host of things and it meant little as it was money to him. There was some thought, but not that much.

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Never! I set a budget for gift buying so if I've only got, say, £10 to spend, I'd be delighted to get something of great quality and higher value from an outlet. I'd feel like I had got the most for my money, as long as it was something I was certain that the recipient would like.

10. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    Absolutely not! I've been buying gifts from outlet stores or just gifts that are super cheap in general ever since! I find that there are more cool and amusing things in outlet stores and they're half the price of those branded items. When I give the gifts and they say they like it, I would always ask "Guess how much that cost me?" and when I give them the estimate, they'd be super shocked and would immediately ask me where I shopped. So I've been spreading the outlet store loving ever since.

11. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I think that if you can get a good deal then it's totally okay! I just bought my boyfriend a pair of Ray Ban's that I got on sale for a good price. That way I didn't have to spend almost $200 on a birthday gift form him. I'm always looking for sales so chances are that what I'm buying someone I got a good sale on. I mean it's so much better than spending a ton of money somewhere else.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It all comes down to having a good eye for quality. As far as I've seen in the past, price is not always synonymous with quality. You have to have a good understanding of the person likes and dislikes, too. Quite often you can get high end brands from outlet stores at ridiculous prices that you wouldn't otherwise be able to afford. So rather than pour your money into any old gift, I think it's a wise move to spend less on better brands at outlet stores. Of course you also remove the price tag before giving the person their gift.

13. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    You should never feel guilty for the amount of money that you pay for a gift - because it really is the thought that counts, and you will probably never find anybody who truly believes otherwise. I would prefer to buy something cheap that means a great deal to somebody, than buying something expensive and flashy that just isn't personal to them in the slightest. When I get a gift, it doesn't come with a price tag, so you never know just how much somebody has spent on it, however it DOES come with a story, and that is what is important.

14. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I do not feel guilty and you should not either. Just giving a gift is an enough thing to be thankful for. Some friends even just want a letter from me. So giving a present is a big privilege that they have!