Gym prices - how much is too much?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by isabbbela • Mar 31, 2014.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hi guys
    I have been going to a gym for 6 months now, and my 6 month contract is about to expire. I don't intent to continue going there because it's quite far from my house, the classes I like are too late at night and I wanted to go to a better gym.

However, the better gyms are all SO expensive! The prices are pretty outrageous, to the point I might stop going to the gym altogether. Back when I lived in the US I went to Bally Fitness, which was dirty cheap and pretty decent. The price I paid there for one whole year is equivalent to the price I pay for 2 months here in Brazil... that's crazy!

A really good gym here can be from 140-250 bucks a month.... and that if you do a 6 month or 1 year contract. I can't afford to pay that. One of those more popular, cheaper gyms can be found for less than 90 bucks a month, but to be honest I don't like that kind of gym. I like going to gyms where there is a lot of people, a lot of equipment and several awesome classes to choose from! I love taking classes. On the cheaper gyms, they usually don't have a lot of classes and the ones they have are more basic, like Step, Jump and stuff like that. I like dance classes (like Body Jam, Sh'Bam and Zumba) and also classes like Boxe and Muay Thai. You have to pay for the good gyms if you want classes like that.

I know everyone makes different amounts of money every month and each person has their own budget, but how much do you pay for your gym (if you go to one)? How much would you be willing to pay?

2. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree and you would think with all the encouragement in this day and age to keep fit and healthy. Gym membership wouldn't be so much. I am not in a position to afford membership at the moment and workout at home and just try to keep active. Shop around sometimes gyms have special introductory offers so your best bet is to catch one of those. Especially new gyms which are trying to drum up custom.

3. canoe

canoeMember

Threads:
    This depends entirely on your income and how much you're utilizing the gym. I've been to some of the best fitness clubs in the country that had over $100/month membership fees which felt almost CHEAP due to how good the facilities were. I've also gone to some LA fitness gyms that were $50/month that felt like a waste of money. If you're going to the gym a lot and making a lot of use from it, I don't see how even $100/month can be too bad if you're earning a decent wage.

4. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    I am a member of 24 Hour Fitness and I only pay 25 dollars per month. Personally I can't see see myself paying anymore than that. I see people paying over $100/month for a gym membership and in my opinion that is just way too much, but I guess if they can afford it why not right?