Haggling In The Market

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Theo • Jan 17, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll admit I'm not good at haggling, but I watched my friend at Camden Market in London haggle so well, I was so convinced I offered to lend her money when she said, " I've only got X amount and I really love this..." Naturally she threw me a look and I slowly learned to haggle, but I'll never be as good as her.

Are you a natural, do what you can, try and fail or don't try? Even if I get a small amount off I am happy, but I have had times where the seller won't budge. It's worked when buying bags (vintage) if I buy more than one and I try not to spend too long haggling and ask for the best price sometimes and the seller will give me an immediate reduction.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't call myself an expert at haggling either. But knowing the price range of products can be helpful when you are haggling. If say you've heard from someone that they paid a certain amount of money for something, you can use that as your "base" when you start haggling. When you hit closer to the "mark" the seller will be more willing to lower the price just a little bit.

3. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't say that I'm a haggler as well. For the most part, I try to talk people down when I go to open markets during the warmer months and possibly in a thrift store if I can find a defect on a piece of clothing that I really want.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm useless at haggling, it makes me feel very uncomfortable to be honest. Yet I hear time and time again that you should always haggle, no matter what you buy or where you buy it from. I've seen people do it successfully, but I don't have the knack for it. I think it comes very naturally to people with money, but for us poor folk it can come off as if you're begging for charity LOL

5. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I love markets and the haggling that comes with them. I am not the best haggler, but I have been known to get some deals. I make an effort not to show my excitement for something I like, because the vendor will use this. Also, I learned on TV to ask, "What can you give me on this?" , or "what can you do for me on this?". So far, it is working. I believe it takes a balance o strength and cheer.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In Thailand or Hong Kong I was told it was normal and expected to haggle which is when you see 'Fixed Price' signs, but you still haggle in a fair way. Usually I now say, "How much is it if I buy two?" or you ask the price and say you will look around and come back. The end of the day is best to haggle when they are closing up and want to get rid of stock too.

7. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, definitely Theo, walk away and see what response you get. It is the true tale tale. The end of the day is good too, but sometimes the pickings are not so great. One thing is for sure, it is best not to beg or whine. It is important to keep your composure.

8. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the item that I'm buying. If an item is obviously overprices, such as those that you would find in flea markets at touristy spots, I would definitely haggle for half price. Normally that really works. However, if I see that the item is already reasonably-priced, I don't see why I should give the business man a hard time by me haggling and haggling. I just pay right away.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't usually haggle, and come to think of it, I don't think I have done that yet. Maybe because I already find the price in thrift stores cheap enough for my taste, so I don't haggle. A friend haggled for me once when we were together, but it was for a cellphone repair service.