Hair braids

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by maddie • Mar 3, 2013.

1. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks, Maddie!

I have my hair braided now. It's what I do sometimes to manage my hair after I wash it. I don't use a relaxer and my hair has a lot of volume so I section it and put it in plaits to dry. I usually part it down the middle, and if I'm not going to blow dry it or flat iron it later, I take those two sections and divide them into two or three more which I twist and hold in place with butterfly clips so they don't dry out. I add a moisture lotion to each section and reclip, then I start putting in plaits.

Sometimes I wear it this way and sometimes I pull the plaits into a ponytail or other style. It amazes me when people compliment my hair like that, lol. To me it is almost like going outside with hair curlers, but so many people from different cultures have complimented it that I leave it that way for days. Sometimes I use it to transition to skinny braids and vice versa.

2. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I love braids. I love the picture of the braided bun. I think that is really sophisticated! I have been wanting some box braids, but just been to cheap to pay someone and my step mom use to do them, but she takes to long and complains the whole time even though she doesn't charge. I think I rather pay someone than listen to her complaining. She took over six hours doing me some braids when she could have been finished in three. I know I will break down and get some for the summer time, especially since I have been not putting relaxers in my hair.

3. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I think braids are definitely coming back. I have always thought they look good as a hairstyle but it's just too bad that I can't do them myself. There are videos on YouTube though but I still can't seem to get my hands on it. It has to be intricate and clean.

4. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    That does sound like a lot of work. You may need a lot of patience for that I guess.. I just braid my hair and put it up in a bun when it get hot as it has now. I just want my hair off my nape. Last year I cut my hair really short, but I don't think I want to do it this summer.. Braids should help me tide over this summer. I need to find some simple and fast styles that I can master. :)

@schomeearning six hours? my Gosh.. I can spend about five minutes each day on my hair.. that is all the patience I have. LOL :)

#24Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  5. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever considered braiding your hair yourself? It's really not that difficult, and the more you do it, the easier it will become. You can just set aside some time on the weekend to get it done.

Wow, Maddie, how short did you cut it? I have been thinking about doing that, but I like being able to put my hair up and I don't really want to lose the length. It's about time to re-touch the braids though, and it would be so easy just to lop them off and start over. The time we spend thinking about hair... LOL!

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    That was exactly the thing I liked about wearing my hair in braids; I could use the set it and forget it attitude, haha! Though that's pretty much what I do now. My hair is too short to braid, so I just let it do what it does... which is mostly nothing.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently discovered a lot of braiding tutorials on YouTube. I love YouTube. I couldn't do it on the weekend, but I could take a couple of days during the week to give it a try.

I used to think it had mostly silly stuff, but there's a lot of great stuff there too.

8. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I cut my hair just above my chin.. that was a good ten inches shorter.. now it is a couple of inches below my shoulder.. after 10 months.. My hair grows pretty fast and that is why I do what ever I want with it.. it grows out faster than people have had a chance to comment :) This is also the problem why I cannot maintain a particular style. Nope I don't really spend too much time styling my hair as I said earlier. I do use a home made shampoo and conditioner to keep it healthy and looking good :)
    Yeah, I have watched a few.. they seem too simple on the video but when you try out those styles they really aren't that easy. But I think it is worth the try if you like the style and it suits your face and looks. Here is one i like ..

[video=youtube_share;7-f7ofC80B8]http://youtu.be/7-f7ofC80B8[/video]

#28Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  9. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I think braiding your hair is fun and you can make all sorts of styles when you do and it is also cool in the summer months. But don't keep it braided all the time because you might get some damaged hair. Treat your hair like a precious gem and it won't break out. I don't wear braids myself but if I knew how to do them myself I would, but I can't stand for anyone to do my hair and I can't sit that long of a period of time. I would have to get up and leave and come back the next day.

10. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I was watching one of those video on braiding, to find a style to wear my hair in one evening and I heard an hair stylist say that a lose French braid is a way of letting your hair rest from shampooing, drying, stretching and other things we do in the name of styling. She also recommended french braiding your hair for letting it rest and grow longer. I really don't know if that is true, because i do not let a braid stay for more than a day/evening, but for people who can let it be it might work .. I think.

11. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    It is definitely true, Maddie. I do that all the time, though not necessarily with french braids. I love it because I put my hair up and go on about my business, especially if I am not going out any place that needs "fancy" hair. I will french braid and leave it for days at a time.

12. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Wow.. That is conformation. I have never left a braid on for more than a day..except when I wanted it to be wavy I let it stay over night ( this was a long time ago) I love braids which allow a section of the hair to flow freely. These combination styles suit me better.
    braidsLauren-Conrad-sea-life-styleblog.

Pretty-Hairstyles-French-Fringe-Braid.

#32May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
  13. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I think there are some beautiful styles that you can do with braiding your hair. You can make all kind of sexy styles and not worry about it. For one thing you can go on your way quickly because you don't have to worry about how you will fix your hair for the day or evening.

14. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I love braids. My mom used to always make we wear a French braid. It looked nice on me, just too bad I don't know how to do it myself. However, I can do the normal braids and I often wear my hair with a braid. It makes things easier. I do nto have to worry about too much hair in my face. My 14 year old daughter loves braids as much as I do and when I asked her about being in fashion she agreed that it is.

15. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    That is really nice and must of the great things. My sisters too like braids and buns. My little niece loves braids and always asks me to make a braid on her.

with amazing deals.