Hair Dyes?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by JessiFox • Oct 20, 2014.

1. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    For those of you that color your own hair, what brands have you had the most success with? Any that you avoid altogether? I've heard a lot of complaints of some brands just bleeding excessively over *everything* in a 5 mile radius of where you're coloring, or some that don't last long at all...just wonder which ones are worth the money :).

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say don't touch the foams, they seem like a good idea until it rolls off the plastic gloves. I like Nice n' Easy as it works and the colors are good. I always use the permanent as I don't see the point of semi-permanent if you wash your hair frequently. It's also very quick and I always go back to using it even when I try other brands on offer.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually buy Bigen Speedy, Kolours or L'Oreal. All of those three brands work for me though I prefer L'Oreal more. In terms of price and accessibility, Bigen has an advantage. It's not as sweet-smelling as Kolours or L'Oreal products, though. Kolours and L'Oreal are a bit pricey but they have this shampoo-like smell. You don't get bad ideas using these products. All three are easy-to-use and don't drip like ink. Just make sure you let your hair dry up before you roam around.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I use Rainbow Research henna. It is a natural dye that does not damage and weaken the hair. It may actually strengthen the hair as it coats it with color instead of chemically altering it. Henna does not seem to bleed at all on towels once it has been rinsed out. I have not stained anything, ever, after two years of doing this. I would stay away from red chemical dyes as they are the ones I have seen bleed terribly all over towels, and it's a real pain to try to get the dye out of the towel.

5. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, nice variety of responses going on here...a few different approaches to look into :). Thanks everyone! I was already edging away from foaming ones, as I was afraid that might be the case, but nice to get some confirmation on it.

& I haven't really considered henna. How long does it typically last before you need to colour it again?

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only ever use natural hair dyes. One of my favorite ones comes from Germany, and it's called Logona Naturkosmetik. I have been using their products for many years now, and I am very happy with the quality. The dyes contain natural ingredients such as walnut shells, henna, beetroot extract, etc., and one treatment usually lasts for 2-3 months until the color starts fading. I stay away from chemical dyes, as they tend to burn my hair, which is very fine, and gives it the texture and appearance of straw.

7. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I use Surya henna cream hair dye. It works for me because I have gray streaks but don't like to dye all of my hair. I'm holding on to the ghosts of my natural blonde highlights as long as I can. It makes my hair healthier after dyeing than before.

8. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    When I used to buy boxed hair dye I used Revlon ColorSilk and Nice N' Easy. I've since switched to buying hair dye and developer at Sally Beauty Supply. I've found that the Clariol Professional is my favorite at the moment.

I prefer liquid hair dye. I've used creme a few times, and I used a foam dye once before as well. I feel that the creme doesn't spread/cover very well. My hair is long and thick, so I need to usually use a few boxes of color. I liked the idea of foam initially, but after I used it once it wasn't what I was expecting.

9. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting...guess everyone has their own preference. Well you guys have given me a lot of good options to look into, so thank you all =). I've never coloured my own hair before, only had it done professionally, so I was just curious.