Haircuts

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by alc89 • Nov 1, 2012.

1. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    What do you all do about haircuts? Everyone knows that a haircut can really make or break your appearance! How many "bad haircuts" have you had where you know that the one thing you really hate is your hair style? Most hair salons are very expensive, filled with very experienced stylists. I used to save up my money and go there, or get a bad haircut for a lower price. But, here's a tip... see if your salon or any beauty schools do free haircuts. The catch is that the stylists are still learning and/or not as experienced as the ones that you'd find elsewhere. But, it's free because they test on you. It takes a long time, since they treat you as a client and go through step-by-step, usually with an instructor, about what you want, how they can give it to you, etc. While they cut your hair, they get approval from the instructor - and if things really go bad, the experienced instructor will save the day. Do you know of anything like this in your area? I live in Washington DC and can let you know where I go for this. The one I go to is at a salon - they have all of their stylists, no matter what their experience level is, to do this so they can get re-trained and make sure they're on top of their game in terms of style, technique, and trend. I've gotten VERY experienced and normally very expensive haircuts for free - just takes a little more time in the seat. They have appointments every Sunday - they fill up fast, though!

2. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    I am an entertainer, but I wear a hat and I work outdoors in a hot climate, so long hair would make my head hot under my hat.

That is why I just get my hair chopped short whenever it starts to get uncomfortable. When it is short, I do not have to worry about how it looks outside of work.

3. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I hardly ever get my haircut. My hair is about halfway down my back right now. I usually get my hair cut once every two years or so, but it is only a trim. I have never had a really bad haircut, but I have a few friends that have had terrible hair cuts. I know salons are expensive, but usually a local chain like Sports Clips, Great Clips or Cost Cutters can give you a good deal! I just have a friend trim my hair and it is free. Trimming a girl's hair is pretty easy and almost anyone can do it.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get my ends trimmed about every six weeks. I get it trimmed while getting other services and it's usually included. I believe that it keeps my hair healthy and growing.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually have my hair trimmed twice or thrice per year, and fortunately, I never had a terrible haircut. I used to go to expensive salons, but since the prices of salon made haircuts increase more and more as time goes by, I decided to just avail of the cheaper haircuts here in the salons my village. It does the job just the same.

6. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I've only had one really bad haircut. There was a complete miscommunication between myself and the stylist. It was at a Best Cuts, and I've not been back. I prefer to go to a salon and see the same person. I try to stretch my visits, but I have short fine hair. It really needs a trim at least every 2 months.

7. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't had any horrible haircuts. I have had ones I like more than others. Color is a different story however. I had a nightmare one when I was new in town and had to go and get it stripped. But I have been to beauty schools in my area and they have done just fine. There are students you may like more than others and can ask for them the next time as well. They charge in my area, but it's only like $10 no matter how much you get cut or what style you want. They usually are not my favorite haircuts, but they do a good job.

8. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I usually get a haircut once every month and a half because my hair takes forever to grow. I am able to keep haircut costs to a minimum because my friend referred me to a stylist who will cut your hair at a lower price if you go to her house on her days off from the salon where she works. My friends and I also invite the stylist to haircut afternoons at one of our friend's house where several of us will get our haircut or have our hair colored. This way the stylist only needs to go to one address and can earn more via several clients. I am also more comfortable asking about her opinion on new styles I want to try in this setting so ultimately I am more satisfied with how I look.

9. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    My friend is a beautician and hair stylist, she often calls me when she needs to check out a new employee's skills. If it goes bad she does the whole works for me. I often get a free pedicure or manicure for the inconvenience she causes me. LOL :) She also has these trainees and does not put them on to her rich clients until they have learned their manners. So i get free everything all the time. My hairs grows real fast and this really helps me keep my expenses in check. The best part is I always get the best. :) and that too free of cost most of the time. :)

10. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I think I only had one bad haircut and I swore I never will do that again. I tried a mohawk hairstyle about three years ago and I looked really bad on it. I wanted it to be a statement that I am a tough guy but it never turned out that way. All my friends would laugh at my look and even I laughed at myself when looking in the mirror.

11. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard of getting good prices on haircuts by going to a salon school but have not tried doing it. I usually get an expensive salon cut about once every 5 years and then go to SuperCuts or Fantastic Sams to keep it trimmed. I can't see going to the expensive salon for just a quick trim!

12. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I usually get my hair cut by the same stylist once in the summer and once in the winter. She is affordable and knows just what I like. I did visit a more high end salon when my regular stylist was all booked up. The outcome wasn't horrible, but it was not as nice as I would have liked.
    We used to have a local beauty school that offered discounted hair cuts, but it went out of business recently. I would not be against having a student cut my hair if my regular stylist was booked.

13. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    What a treat! I would love to have a friend or family member in the business so they can "test" on me. Plus, you get so many other perks for allowing them to use your hair. The great thing about your situation is that your hair grows quickly, so if you do end up having a really awful haircut that can't be fixed, at least you know that you'll soon have another hair cut and hair style. My hair grows rather quickly, too - but sometimes, even if my hair cuts are free, I still need to make an appointment and go out of my way. Laziness gets the best of me, I suppose.

14. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly having a friend like that is a blessing. I cannot afford so many haircut, I need one every month and they are darned expensive. She also taught me an easy way to cut my hair by putting it in front over my face... but when I get free expert haircuts why should I even try it myself. LOL :)

15. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    I would love to have a friend who is a hairdresser and a stylist. When I was younger I had short hair so I had to visit a hairdresser quite often. Very rarely I was satisfied with the outcome so I decided to let my hair grow a bit. Now I have long hair and I feel a lot better with them. That's how I found the perfect hairstyle for me :)

16. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I very rarely look good after a haircut. It's not because of the hairdresser I do to, though, it's because of the shape of my head or my not-so-good-looking face :p Seriously though, I hate it when you say you want a certain thing and they end up doing whatever they want. I don't mind when they go a little too far with shortness, but I do mind when they don't do a good job with consistence, and leave one part of your head with long hair, and another one with short hair. Ugh.

17. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I get my hair cut once a year. I don't do anything special with the style (just some layering) so I don't think I've ever had a "bad" haircut. But I think this might be changing in the near future. My younger brother is currently attending a beauty school and I've been his guinea pig for one of his assessments. He actually did a very good job and he's offered to cut my hair for free so I'm definitely going to take advantage of this.