Hairy Upper Lip: Do You Need Them Removed

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by leovew • Jun 13, 2015.

1. leovew

leovewNew Member

Threads:
    Since I was a kid, I had a hairy upper lip. I was constantly teased about it and was even called the mustache-girl at school. I wasn't really bothered much by this because they had other, meaner things to say. It is just recently that I have given attention to my problem being at work and having to face potential and current clients.

I have to ask your opinion if I have to have them removed - by waxing or threading - or don't bother at all? I have survived 24 years having them, another 24 years wouldn't hurt, would it? I am quite hesitant to do it since it might grow thicker and more in number, thus making things worse. Your opinion is highly appreciated!

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ok, these hairs will not become thicker or indeed multiply if you remove them. It's true that hairs can seem thicker after shaving but this is simply due to the blunt edge that shaving gives the hair.

Waxing, plucking and epilating will actually make the hair grow thinner and finer in time. The act of yanking the individual hairs out damages the follicle. Over time, the hairs grow back slower and finer.

3. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    I too suffer the same fate as you. I've been teased a lot before because of it but my mom told me to just not mind them and not mind the girl-stache that I'm sporting. It doesn't even bother me now, to be honest but I have thought of waxing or threading it. I wasn't so sure about it before but now I think I just forgot about it. I would if I had the time but I don't really NEED to do it. So it's all up to you! I don't think it'll grow thicker though. Maybe if you decide to do it, ask the waxing/threading place about it. Good luck!

4. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    Electrolysis may be an option for you for permanent hair removal on your upper lip. It's one of the most widely employed cosmetic procedure to help people get rid of unwanted hair. There are no permanent, long-lasting side effects and a little skin reddening will go away after a few days.

Follow the link below to know more about it.

5. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I have a mustache too and have been asking myself the same question. I have heard also that the hair will not grow faster and thicker if you pluck, wax or thread. I think it is worth a try, it can only get better. I will let you know how it goes for me when I do it.

6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I don't really have a very hairy upper lip, but I still do shave it. I want my face smoother so I could easily put on my concealer and make-up.

7. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I had a somewhat hairy upper lip when I was younger, and people would tease me about it. So I started using depilatory creams, which did seem to thin things out a bit overall. But oh man, that smell. Nasty. I had to stop. I actually trim mine very carefully with a tiny pair of nail scissors, or pluck out the thicker hairs, and it keeps things pretty well under control. I’m considering an epilator, though.

8. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    I have always waxed mine since I was a teenager and now there is very little hair that grows back. It is at the point now where I can just pluck the few thin hairs the keep growing. It depends on the person and how you feel about it. With me i didn't like my hairy upper lip and I was extremely self conscious about it so I did what I had to in order to minimize it. If you are comfortable with it then there is no reason you should remove it.

9. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    First of all, EVERYONE (basically) has hair on their upper lip. I think many women believe it to be a personal problem, but when you get to talking (or reading magazines) you'll find that it is a universal issue. Most of us are removing the hair and not talking about it. Hah.

In high school and college I bleached my upper lip and the soft blonde hair didn't bother me. But then I discovered facial wax strips, and have never gone back. Like many posters above have mentioned, once I started waxing, the hair started growing back thinner and thinner. Now it is something I probably maintain about 4X a year, and that is plenty. It isn't even painful anymore. I do it at home (rather than pay a salon) and I find it to be nothing to my time or budget.

I also started waxing my armpits, because of constant razor burn. That hair also grows in more thinly, and slowly now... much easier in the long run than shaving.

10. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    You can also bleach them if you are afraid of pain. There are kits that allow you to diy bleach your upper lip hair at home. I think Sally Hansen has one like this.

11. RaineyDay477

RaineyDay477New Member

Threads:
    I recently started using the Tinkle, available from Amazon, to shave my whole face. My hair wasn't dark, but a friend started doing it and loved how smooth her face became, so I thought I would give it a try. It does make your face really smooth, and when it starts to grow in, I haven't noticed any difference in the thickness or color of the hair.