Half.com

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by xcmiller93x • May 5, 2012.

1. xcmiller93x

xcmiller93xActive Member

Threads:
    Has anyone had experience selling books on Half.com? I decided to list my textbooks on there.

2. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    I realize that Half.com isn't providing a free service, I think that taking out 15% of the price of the book as a fee is absolutely insane. You won't always be charged 15%, but Half.com definitely has higher fees than Ebay.A lot of sellers complain about Ebay's fees, but I don't think their fees are all that bad.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Their fees aren't higher than listing on Ebay. :S Not only do they not have a listing fee and you can put up books indefinitely (instead of having to re-list every 7 days until they sell), but you also get to keep any extra shipping money that you don't use. So they give you a flat shipping fee per book and if it costs less, that is extra cash over and above.

4. Snrm

SnrmActive Member

Threads:
    I was just browsing it for a little bit and saw their instant sale button. I was extremely excited to put all the books I don't need up for instant-cash but all of my books were not accepted by their service even though some of them are only a year old.

5. xcmiller93x

xcmiller93xActive Member

Threads:
    I made $43 on a book, but with all the fees, I only will get $37 for it. I think it's a bit ridiculous.

6. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Wow! I think you did not made much from your books. $6 less from what suppose to be your income is ridiculous. I have visited the site already and I have seen that it has good traffic. Their commissions are way to high in my opinion and I wonder why people chooses their services.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Had you taken the same book to your local shop to sell it, though, they probably would've given you 20-30 bucks instead, though. I still see that as coming out ahead and sold most of my books, even minus the fees, for more than I could've locally or even on Ebay.

8. deecee

deeceeActive Member

Threads:
    You can only list books on Half that are in their catalog. There is no listing fee like on ebay, but the sales commission is higher, at 15%. There is also a flat reimbursement for shipping media mail. If a book is really heavy, the fee may not cover the whole cost of mailing.

I list on both Half and ebay. Both have advantages and disadvantages. You can also try Amazon and Alibris, but they also charge various fees.

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't realize that half.com was still around. I thought they were going to be incorporated into ebay. $6 in fees is pretty crazy. Does that include any Paypal fees? I wonder if it is better to sell your books on Amazon.