Hand made gifts

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by maddie • Oct 7, 2012.

1. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I spend a lot of time crafting gifts for my long list of friends. I have seen some of the things that I have given them treasured by my friends while some don't seem to care? Do you like to receive hand crafted gifts from friends and family?

2. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I think it depends. For me, a nice set of custom-sewn cloth napkins to match my dining room would be an awesome handmade gift. However, if it were something like coasters, I would not be particularly thrilled because I already have about 4 sets of them. I suppose people just have their preferences. I have family members that are total "techies" and would love nothing more than to get their hands on some new electronical device. To me, that does not interest me.

3. weddingbands12

weddingbands12Banned

Threads:
    Hi Friends,
    Show off your individuality with these hand crafted works of art. Available for both men and women in your choice of width in a variety of metals including 14K & 18K white, yellow, rose and two tone Gold, as well as Platinum and Palladium. Each of these

are hand fabricated by a master jewelry artisan to create your masterpiece of love and commitment.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mother was a beautiful seamtress, anything she made was as good or better than in the store. If she was still sewing and gave me something she made I would love it. She made all of my clothes when I was a kid. I can sew but I do not have the skill she had. She stopped sewing as she got older her eyes gave her more and more trouble. My gift is food. I bake cookies, muffins and cakes to give to people along with the other gifts I give them. No complaints yet.

5. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    True, I have noticed that a nicely presented batch of cookies or pastries always have happy takers. I usually do this at Christmas. I gift plants to those who love them. Candles are always welcome, so I make them too. I have found that most people do like hand crafted gifts. They add a personal flavor to them.
    I personally like hand crafted gifts... not the store bought ones.

6. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I went on Pinterest and found a lot of great instructions for hand made gifts. I am not a crafty girl at all so this site really helped me out when it came to coming up with ideas. I didn't want to slave over a hot stove and bake up a storm, but found some great gifts for under $10.

7. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I have been born as a very appreciative person and I appreciate every gift that was given to me no matter who gave it and what that gift is. I really like receiving gifts no matter how expensive or how cheap it is as long as it was given by a person who truly wants to give to others.I also won't say no to a handmade one because for me, handmade gifts are more sincere than those that have been bought.

8. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    What a gracious answer! Honestly I am like that too. A gift is a gift and I value it. But, handmade gifts aren't exactly cheap,, the amount of time and labor you spend on it should talk of your love. Sometimes some of the stuff I make and give as gifts could easily fetch me some good money.
    However it is awesome to hear people gushing with gratitude. My friend would often talk of a painting she had seen in some movie. I printed the still and painted it for her and she was delirious. It is really worth making these gifts - for most people at least.

9. almari_011

almari_011Member

Threads:
    Depends on what the handmade gift is. But I do give handmade gifts specially during Christmas. I make sure my gift is very creative and useful for that person so he/she won't complain. :)

10. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly, it really depends on the gift. If it's something that I will not end up using or something that I do not need, then, honestly, it would become a gift that sits around somewhere and I would never think about it. But, if a friend or family member crafted something that I really needed (and therefore, it was very personalized and sweet), then I would treasure it. It really depends on both the person and the gift that you give to them.

I will say that I have never, ever had any problems with baking sweets or making food. The way to a person's heart is through the stomach! Making food, no matter how easy, just takes time and thought - to get the ingredients, to make the food, to package it in a way that looked like a gift. It is one of the most thoughtful gifts - to feed someone or want to take care of them.

11. Grehamthorp

GrehamthorpBanned

Threads:
    Yes, i very much like to make handmade gift and also like to receive from friends and family. The main reason behind popularity of handmade gift is that handmade gift is always comes with full of love. Handmade gift is flexible and robust for you to send your friends and family.

12. melovesengland

melovesenglandMember

Threads:
    Ohh yes I love hand crafted presents specially card. Its more of a personal touch to me plus the effort and thought which is more important.

13. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    It's really the thought that counts on my end whenever I receive gifts. I even more appreciated hand crafted ones because effort was given there. I love receiving them than the traditional expensive items.

14. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I can't think of the last time I received a handcrafted gift from someone. I guess how I feel about them depends on what the gift is. There is the aspect of it being nice to receive a gift, but if it's something that isn't useful to you, or in the case of a decorative or apparel item, something that doesn't fit your own personal aesthetic, a handmade gift can be a little awkward.

15. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    My son's teachers personally request me to make some of my scented candles for them at Christmas. I usually do not make gifts if I don't know the person's tastes very well.. I just got a call from a friend of a friend asking me for some hand crafted clay pots that I design and make. It is fun to make these.. but I think they take too much of my energy and this year I just bought the gifts for those who didn't specifically ask for anything.

16. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Maddie, if I ever have the opportunity to go to India, I am going to give you fair warning, lol, and then I am going to pack up a bunch of my handmade items (and any plants or seeds they let me carry) and head straight for you! Be prepared for a crafty gal swap!

17. wilburheath01

wilburheath01Banned

Threads:
    Yes i would like to get handmade gift from friends and family. Because handmade gift is helpful to show your emotions.
    Your friend would love a homemade gift. Even with limited crafting skills, there are plenty of things you can make that your pal would love.

#17Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013