Handbag Addiction!

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by zoeysmama2011 • Feb 17, 2013.

1. zoeysmama2011

zoeysmama2011Active Member

Threads:
    Hi, my name is Katarin, and I have a handbag addiction. Lol. Is there anyone else with me on this? I constantly look at new bags on the internet, in stores, anywhere really! The bad part is, I already have several new bags, that I decided I couldn't live without, that I haven't even used yet. I'm determined to find a better way to support my addiction, because I really can't keep spending this kind of money. Any one with the same "problem"? how do you find alternatives? Or better yet, where can I find great bags at better prices???

2. thelovelyone0

thelovelyone0Banned

Threads:
    LoL! Aww, you sound just like my mother. I don't have this addiction but my mother does; my addiction is with high heels so I can kind of relate to you. I don't think you should find an alternative; if collecting handbags is something that satisfy you then you should definitely continue it. I would never want to substitute collecting high heels for something else--I would go crazy. Finding cheap bags is kind of difficult because the best handbags are the most expensive ones. I think maybe you should consider getting an online job that is reserved for your purchases of handbags only. That way you wouldn't have to worry about the price because you work an extra job just for that. How many handbags do you own? I own a lot of high heels, and I have no idea how many pairs I have--it's getting out of control. Just make sure you have room for everything. Right now, some of my heels are at my mother and boyfriends house--that's how bad it's gotten. :(

3. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I too am a handbag lover. I have special shelves in my closet dedicated to them, as well as the matching wallets. Thats right it doesn't make sense to buy the bag if you dont get a wallet to match.

4. zoeysmama2011

Threads:
    I was absolutely just like you with heels before I had my daughter. I had over 25, mostly that I had only worn once or twice. After I got pregnant, I passed all my heels down to my best friend. Right now, I have about 6 or 7 handbags. The problem is that, the bags I like, are expensive. Like you said, the best bags are often the most expensive ones. I tend to purchase, leather/Italian leather handbags. The bag itself can run me around $300, with the matching wallet at $150. Occasionally I can find a really great designer bag at a thrift store, but there is nothing like a brand new leather bag with a matching wallet ( oh, did I forget to mention, I'm addicted to wristlets, wallets,and coin purses as well?!) Right now. I have a full cabinet dedicated to handbag and wallet purchases. Right now, I am completely obsessed with Dooney and Bourke and Kate Spade handbags. I've had to hold off lately because I just don't have the funds for my addiction lately. Sigh. Lol.

5. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    Haha. I completely see where you are coming from because I have a moderate"addiction " as well. I usually look at bags online all the time and I really can't help myself because browsing is just too addicting. I constantly look at companies that I always adore and I put the bags on my wishlist. I usually splurge on 2 good bags every now and then where one is a big tote for the winter months and the other would be a smaller crossbody type for the warmer months.

6. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I am also obsessed with the Kate Spade line and I own one dooney and burke bag. As for kate spade I always try to look at online stores such as zappos as well as overstock because they have wonderful sales once a new collection for kate spade comes out. Their stuff is so colorful and fun and it is just one of my biggest weaknesses as well (haha). I hope I will have the funds for these purchases in the future such as yourself.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    That is definitely not me. I can have the same handbag or purse for years and until it falls apart, I'm not going to try replacing it usually unless I have to.

I can see how it can get addicting, though. Have you tried selling off any of the bags you're not using? You may just get most of the thrill from buying something you want, and it's not about the bag itself.

8. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    I've either overcome or outgrew my handbag addiction because I'm not as bad as I used to be. I used to be obsessed. If I was bored with money to burn I was online plotting on my next handbag. T.J Maxx and Marshalls used to be my favorite places to shop for quality bags at bargain prices. I still have a great appreciation for them but instead of shopping for a new one every season I just rotate within my collection. I think it's been almost two years since I've purchased a new one.

There is a large outdoor flea market about half an hour away from me that has tons of vendors selling knockoff bags at $10 each. You would lose your mind in that place if you don't mind buying knockoffs. Some of them are so cute and well made you won't even care. You can get higher quality genuine leather knockoffs for between $30 and $50 at some of the vendors. I know several ladies who can afford the real thing but are still addicted to going to this flea market almost every other weekend and buying their purses. I recall going there a few years ago and purchasing about 5 or 6 of them and gave a few away to my mom, sisters and nieces.

9. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:

Yes!! This was it for me. I was addicted to the thrill of obtaining a new bag. I'm glad I grew out of it because now I can't see myself spending my money on the bags I used to drool over. I have sold or given away any bags I've purchased covered with the monogram of the designer. I went through a Louie Vuitton and Christian Dior phase. Then I became obsessed with Dooney & Bourke, after that Michael Kors. I don't care to be a walking billboard for any designer anymore. Nowadays I'm all about practicality. If the size carries everything I need and the structure makes it easy for me carry, to organize and get in it and find everything I need I'm happy. Like I said, I still have an appreciation for stylish bags but it's not as serious as it used to be for me.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also have a handbag addiction. Unfortunately, my budget doesn't allow me to indulge my addiction. But I still go window shopping for purses. I'm not really a fan of black or brown purses. I love handbags in various colors and styles to go with different outfits.

11. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I have never been addicted to buying stuff.. I used to love to collect shoes.. but I decided one day to give them all away.. keeping just a few I really needed. Since then I have stopped buying stuff I don't really need , have stopped window shopping or looking for shoes online.. I really haven't had the urge to buy after the initial few months. I am really glad I got out of this habit as it could have got my fiances in a mess at that point in time.

12. melovesengland

melovesenglandMember

Threads:
    I am collecting bag as well but I only buy when they are on offer. Also, I limit myself to one bag per month so it gives me time to save up a bit. I always try to set up a goal and fo from there. I visit charity shops, pruchase some on ebay and sometimes pay the whole price if I wanted i so badly. Its wrong but its a self treat for me once a month.

13. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I'm with you Jessi. I'll probably attract an inbox of hate mail and incredulous looks, but for me, a handbag is a functional item, not an accessory. I find a nice looking one that I like, and that will hold all the necessary bits and pieces, and then I keep it until it disintegrates on me. Then I buy another one, and the cycle repeats itself.

For the handbag addicts out there, if you're not into designer bags, you should consider a move to Spain. You can buy good quality leather bags on the street markets for 5 - 25 Euro ($6.40 - $33), so it's cheaper to feed the addiction.

14. zoeysmama2011

Threads:
    I only wish I had your discipline. I'm positive that is the right way to go, and I often tell myself, you don't need these bags and wallets. You would have so much money saved if you just stopped buying bags, but that hardly ever stops me. I commend your efforts and success at getting your finances in order.

15. zoeysmama2011

Threads:
    Hallelujah! That sounds delightful. I'm extremely addicted to designer bags but I have a genuine appreciation for leather bags. They hold up nicely. I understand where you are coming from with using a bag until it falls apart. That's the most realistic way to go through bags. I try to carry a bag for a week or 2 but after that, I'm no good at all. I love my bag to match my mood or outfit. Like Parker, I'm a fan of colorful bags. I have one tan bag and one black bag. The rest are bright,vibrant colors.

16. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

No i'm more addicted to shoes bags just aren't my thing i only carry one cause i have to lol other than that i wouldn't have one i can enjoy a cute bag but they aren't a must for me. Now shoes thats a different story lol.

17. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I don't have any addiction to buying anything. I have never developed that habit yet and thank God I haven't. When it comes to spending my own money on things, I say forget it unless I need it. I believe you can break that habit if you realize how hard you worked for that money that you are giving away.