Handmade Toys And Dolls

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by thisnthat • Oct 20, 2016.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I think some of the hand-crafted toys and dolls are the best. I've seen some high quality options available, and sometimes, they cost even less than mass-produced items made from who knows what (lots of plastic, usually).

Where do you shop for handmade items? Does Etsy have any good deals? I've seen some other craft sites online, but I also like to look at craft fairs and flea markets sometimes.

I should probably be shopping at craft supply shops and hobby stores to buy the materials to make my own dolls and other toys. A hand crafted toy could be passed down when the kids are grown.

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I usually find hand made toys almost everywhere here especially un flea markets. I actually bought my daughter a hand made Minnie which quality is quite good. Although she plays with it rough the stuffed Minnie manages to keep it's shape and it costs 75% less than a Minnie I could find at the store.

It would be so fun to have the creativity to make my own toys for my daughter and even sell some.

3. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard of handmade dolls and I think they are adorable! It is actually a good idea to make it as gifts for this coming Christmas. I was just wondering where to buy it since I haven't seen any in our area. Well I've seen one before but that was a long time ago and I don't think that they still sell something like that in our place. May I ask where have you seen these handmade dolls and where to buy them? Thanks a lot! :)

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Well, like I said, you can find some on Etsy. There are other crafter sites as well, and some people also sell their crafts on sites like eBay. If you can't find any in your local markets, you should be able to find handmade toys on line. Handmade stuff has become a lot more popular once again.

Good idea. I should be doing the same thing. I should make some for the grandkids to keep and give their own kids eventually, but I should also make some to sell. Guess I need to hit the craft stores to see what goodies I can find. I love shopping in those places, but I could stay there all day!

5. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I would visit a Swap Meet or something similar to purchase those items. Some sell hand-crafted toys for very cheap and they're usually made with great quality because they're mostly people who were taught to create these things since they were children. You can sometimes get a new doll for a few cents around here and even in the United States. Swap Meets are the best way to go if you're trying to find hand-crafted items.

6. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Home-made toys looks well done compared to a machine made. However, they are too costly. So what we did to get some of the handcrafted toys for our grandchildren is from the used stores of in our local dialect we call it "ukay-ukay" which means assorted things. They are usually sold during our market day here in our place. There are a lot of them to select. They are all affordable.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have in Hawaii lots of craft fairs especially come the holidays. Annually all over the island we have craft fairs carrying lots of handmade products. From bags to toys these craft fairs got them all. At these craft fairs there are food booths with food truck type of delicious homemade like food that you can munch on while you shop. Craft fairs locally has all sorts of price tags that make shopping so much more fun. Good prices, some craft fairs has entertainment, good food and you get one of a kind handmade products for your gifting makes

a nice place to get your shopping done.
    upload_2016-12-10_21-11-24.
    (image from

)

8. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a fan of hand made toys however, I believe soft toys are one of the safest for young kids.

They also happen to become their favourite toys. A lot of them are available with the road side vendors and also in the shop.

9. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe, yes that's a good idea. We do have craft fairs here as well, and this time of year brings out quite a few of them. Flea markets seem to have more craft booths as well around the holidays.

I like craft fairs anyway, but it's a really great option when you're looking for handcrafted gifts. I can make some items myself, but some I'd rather buy from an experienced craftsman (or craftsperson ha ha). I think Etsy is basically like an online craft fair and so much more. I do like being able to look over the items and even touch them at an in person craft show though.

That sounds like some fun shopping, @Nakitakona@Nakitakona.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :)It's nice to see craft fairs all year through too. I'm so glad we got choices online or on ground. Merry Holidays!

11. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    By hand crafted toys or dolls, I'm thinking about wooden dolls that are hand crafted. They really are adorable and would stand the test of time, but for me, I would love to have them as collections rather than seeing them being played with.

12. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I really wish that I was a little more creative and handy, because this is certainly a good way to save some money. I remember when everyone was younger and seemed to have kids the same age, the amounts being spent were really high so this would have been nice to have.