Hanging Baskets

Discussion in Home & Garden started by purplepen88 • May 30, 2016.

1. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    My husband just bought me a few stands for hanging baskets. I want to fill them with beautiful cascading arrangements. Any suggestions what plants I should use? Also would it be cheaper to buy an already made basket and put it in my baskets or buy all the plants myself and make up my own.

2. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    Any type ivy geranium is beautiful in a hanging basket. You can actually buy the ivy in its own hanging basket for around $5 to $20 depending on the type and size of the plant. They're also very easy to care for!

3. LordAndSaver

LordAndSaverMember

Threads:
    Assuming these plants are outdoors, I think one hanging pot full of herbs would look nice and it would be very practical. You could have unlimited access to fresh mint, parsley, or any other culinary herb you desire. Most of these herbs also give off a pleasant aroma, and it would certainly add utility along with the added aesthetics.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As what you can be grown in hanging baskets is in reality limited only by your own imagination and whether you are wanting ornamentals that look good all year or purely seasonal ones - to brighten up dark winter days, give a vibrant blast of spring or summer color or edibles - such as - previously mentioned - herbs, fruits or vegetables - plant options are virtually endless - for example

trailing lantana – low maintenance long flowering plant
    lobelia
    pelargoniums and geraniums
    portulaca
    begonias
    coleus
    impatiens
    black eyed susan vine
    fuchsia
    calibrachoa
    petunias
    pansies
    verbena
    holiday cactus - along with a huge variety of other succulents
    ivies, grasses - plus many herbs, vegetables and fruits - especially strawberries

are just but a few of the most commonly used basket plants that you generally can't go too far wrong with.

I would also just add - that although it is without doubt very much cheaper to make your own - if its something that you haven't done before - bearing in mind that with mixed variety baskets - its very important to ensure - that all the plant varieties you group together share the same sun, water and soil preferences - first time round - its generally considered best to stick with single variety baskets - as not only are they easier but more likely to give a guaranteed - problem free stunning display.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never thought of putting herbs in an hanging basket but it sounds like a good idea. I have one in the back, that needs something put in it, and that might be something to fill it with. I have a hanging basket with flowers in the front..I was thinking of putting flowers in the one in back,,,but does anyone know where you can buy them empty? I would just want a cheap hanging basket..I think garden centers they would sell them for more..What about Walmart?

6. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    My buddy's mom used to start off her fruit plants in hanging baskets. She has a pretty nice little farmstead going now and that all started maybe 10 years ago. She still starts em off in the same hanging arrangements she used to, so maybe try there?