Hard Disk Replacement

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by luri • May 17, 2017.

1. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    When your hard disk crashes, one way to continue using your computer is by replacing the crashed hard disk. Once the hard disk crashes, can we continue to use it provided it is not a hardware problem. Likewise, when you replace the hard disk, will your computer work like it used to work before disk failure?

2. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Hard disc failure is a major issue. If there is no back-up, you're going to lose all your stored data.

Once, I had to face this problem with my laptop. I got the hard disc changed, but it was not cost effective. But, as I was not keen to upgrade my then existing laptop, so I thought to change the hard disc. Though, all the previous data could not be restored, but I eventually got a better speed.

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Before replacing your harddisk, check it first what caused its crash. Is it a virtual fault, that means it is caused by virus. Thus your hard disk won't work or function properly. In that case, it could be cleaned by a good virus remover.

But when you HD crashed because for physical reason. The desktop or laptop had accidentally dropped or get wet due to carelessness or whatever. Its circuit inside had been already been damaged. There's a need to get a new hard disk.

4. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think you will get any problem after hard disk replacement. It should work like before normally. But yes better you check out why your old hard disk got crashed. Few common reasons for hard disk crashing are:

Irregular electricity : Electricity is too low or too high for device
    Corrupted data: It can get crash because of corrupted data too
    Heating in laptop: Make sure your laptop is not getting too much heat, use cool pad.

Just keep checking all above things for your new hard disk, and I am sure it will work normally.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hmm, this looks like a tricky question. When the hard disk stops working, it means either a software problem or a hardware problem. What I mean by software is the disk may need formating because the contents may have been corrupted by a virus or anything. But with a hardware problem, it is physically broken so you have to buy a replacement. And for saying that your computer will be running the same, my answer is a flat no.

6. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    If it's not a hardware problem, then you can try to format the hard disk to start fresh. You will have to reinstall the OS and other programs that you want to use. You will also lose all data after the format. If you replace the hard disk with a new one that's compatible with your motherboard, your computer should still be good after reinstalling an OS and other programs. You will lose all settings you have prior to the disk failure and if you're using a customized application, then that will change the way you work with your PC.

7. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Hard disk failure happens randomly, it is like a price in a bad luck lottery. I don't save files on my pc, I save them all at google drive and I just download them when I need them. If your pc won't turn on no matter what you or the repair guy does, replacing it is the only way. MY pc runs actually faster because my files are either in google drive or in an eternal hard drive.

8. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I had that happen to me twice already, and the cause is because of bad sectors. Bad sectors can be identified by those clicking sounds aside from a software that can detect it. You can still recover the data on drive D even if your PC gets corrupted since drive C is the only one that will be formatted. Once your HD has some bad sectors, crashing will occur again so while it's still working you better back up all your data before they get lost. And as long as the HD is compatible with your motheroard then the replacement will work.

9. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I know that there are some of the brands such as seagate who give 5 year of replacement warranty. So there is a lot of market for those disks. And if in such case those are going to be on failure. I think you can easily replace them these days. I just think that hard disk need to be properly handled against electrical surges etc. But not a lot can be managed in such case.