Harry potter vs Lord of the rings ?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Adryan • Mar 26, 2014.

1. Adryan

AdryanMember

Threads:
    which one do you think is more interesting harry potter or lord of the rings. I am more of a harry potter fan. What about you?? :)

2. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I think they both have their own virtues, and have such a different tone that I'd say you can't compare them.
    Lord of the Rings is a much more classical epic tale, while Harry Potter has lots of twists and turns in the story.

3. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    Hardest question in the world. I love both series' from the bottom of my heart. They're both very clever, intense, and quite amazing. Both trilogies have very interesting characters and awesome plots. They're both very awesome and have stories that could have only been formed by someone with an incredible imagination.

This is a really hard question, but I'm made my decision! If I were to choose, I'd probably go for Lord of the Rings because it's a classic and it never gets old. Harry Potter is just as awesome, but Lord of the Rings is more of my type.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Harry Potter heads down! I have been a fan of Harry Potter for over 13 years now, and I feel like it's the book I grew up with! It's my baby and I could never like another book as much as this! I have read the first 3 over 5 times, and the rest at least twice each. Lord of The Rings is a great story, but not as close to my heart as Harry Potter. To me LOTR is just another really good book series.

5. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    That is like picking between $75 and $100. They are both really good, well written, and fun. However, I'd say Harry Potter was the $75. I feel it is a little lesser, there are some aspects I don't like about it, but others I love. Lord of The Rings is a phenomenal story in book and movie, though differing considerably. There is one aspect I hate about it, but I'm willing to overlook it for the rest because to me it is that amazing.

6. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    For me the Lord of the Rings trilogy is the best movie trilogy produced to this day. It's just such a great universe and you are connected with all of the characters from the get-go. I don't really like the hobbit movies though, maybe it's because I was amazed by the book and the movies were a little let-down so far but I'm not too sure. I also grew up with Harry Potter and I really enjoyed all of the movies and I also read some of the books, but it didn't create an illusion like LotR did for me. It's still a great series and I understand why a lot of people love it, but I'm more of a LotR guy. I also prefer the film music of LotR over Harry Potter even though they both have great music in my opinion.

7. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never been into those kinds of movies but there's just something about Harry Potter. In my opinion Harry Potter is a fantasy movie that everyone can enjoy while Lord of the Rings is more for tomboys/guys. I never read the books though because they were just too long. The first Harry Potter movie was boring when it premiered. As it progressed though, it just got more and more interesting. I guess what made the movie so great was choosing Daniel Radcliffe. He really gave the movie heart. Sometimes it is hard to follow but it kept me captivated and it had some humor (which is important to me in a movie).

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I watched only two Harry Potter movies and never did try to watch any more because I didn't find it that interesting. The Lord of The Rings though was a little bit more entertaining. The reason for that is probably because I'd previously read TLTR books and liked the story. There's a possibility I'm biased towards Harry Potter because of that.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm equally disinterested with them both, but if I had to pick one, I'd choose Harry Potter, mostly because its themes is a lot more interesting to me than Lord of the Rings. I've only seen one movie from each franchise, and from what I gather, Harry Potter at least has lots of different events in it whereas LOTR seems like there's way too much walking and talking going on. I even fell asleep during the third movie and the only part I kind of liked were the battles. The movie is just too long for me and I personally don't know what others see in it, but to each their own.

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I love both franchises, I think they are very different.
    LotR is a classic fantasy tale, heck it is THE classic fantasy tale, while Harry Potter is much more modern in it's storytelling style, more fast paced and unpredictable.
    If I had to pick one I might probably pick Lord of the RIngs but just because I have a stronger connection to it, not because it's simply "better" than Harry Potter.

11. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I think Lord of the Rings is more geared towards adults, while Harry Potter more towards younger people. Not that they can't be equally enjoyed by both generations, they must certainly can. But LOTR has a deeper, more evolved story. Didn't take Tolkien 12 years or so to write it? But Harry Potter did make a huge accomplishment - getting all those kids to read it. My son was hooked on the Harry Potter series. I remember fondly going to the bookstore in the middle of the night so he could get his copy.

#11Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I first saw Lord of the Rings I did not understand that it was an extension of "The Hobbit". I love "The Hobbit" and really need to take another look at the "Lord of the Rings" now that I understand it is part of "The Hobbit" story line. "Harry Potter" is a great story, right now I must say HP is coming out on top for me.

13. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    I love Lord of the Rings. They are my husband's favorite movies so I have seen them a lot. I really enjoy it though so it's not an issue to watch it multiple times. My favorite character was always Gollum/Smeagol. I'm sure that's a weird response but I always thought he was a really endearing character and felt bad for what all had happened to him. Frodo was always a bit irritating to me because he's supposed to be the hero but would have never made it without the help of the fellowship.

14. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    I'd like to suggest to everyone, if you haven't, read the books in these series, they are elaborately set up worlds.

Lord of the Rings is a more intricately set up world, that has every aspect thought out in advance. It creates a more realistic, human experience, even though it is fantasy. I think that Harry Potter was more seat of your pants writing...not bad, I love the books, but not as intricately woven (I think she is making it more intricate now). Tolkien studied and wrote languages, thousands of years of history and interconnected difficult parts of humanity into his plots...which is exactly why Frodo is such a realistic individual...a hero with many flaws, just like any human.

15. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    That's a fair point, even though like you said, both series can be enjoyed by both generations, Harry Potter is a fantastic introduction to the fantasy genre to kids while Lord of the Rings can be a bit hard for a younger person to get into.
    They are difinitely a good transition, even though there are others that can also be a good introduction, like the Eragon series (the books, burn the movie)

16. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe that's why I don't find it interesting by what I've seen. I don't consider myself an adult in any sense of the word, even though chronologically I am. It's too much depth. Harry Potter has the right blend of depth and humor. I really only like depth in music and even then I don't want it all the time. Movies are only there to entertain me not make me think.

17. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I am quite surprised this question did not cause a civil war. I guess there are not alot of die-hard, sci-fi buffs on here then. I don't think you can compare the two. They are in different worlds. One is magic, and one is fantasy. Most avid sci-fi readers would say this would be like comparing oranges to apples. My son, 14 years old and a major sci-fi geek, just looked at me and walked away when I asked him this question. He said that he would never compare the two!

18. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Harry Potter all the way! I've read all the books and seen all the movies and i love everything about this series, not to mention my huge crush for Harry Potter. LoTR movies are great however I'm not so invested in the story and i didn't bother reading the books. :(

19. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    For me I would have to say The Lord of the Rings. I always found myself fascinated by this story, even when it was done in animation. The movies were well done and certainly tried to remain true to the source material. I didn't find any part of this trilogy boring and have watched it more then once. I have seen some of the Harry Potter films and for they were all right but not really my cup of tea so to speak.

But I guess this is like comparing an apple to an orange. Harry Potter has its followers obviously there are some here voting for it, and the LOTR also has those who loved it.

20. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know why people would bother to compare Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings when there's no clear basis for comparison. I love Harry Potter and I love LOTR. I enjoyed reading Harry Potter while growing up and had never missed a single LOTR movie. I even developed the habit of watching all LOTR installments every summer break. My imagination took great leaps because of my exposure to both works.