Harry potter vs Lord of the rings ?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Adryan • Mar 26, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never seen Harry Potter and probably never will so I can't compare, but the Lord of the Rings stands alone for many reasons and the films have opened up the characters and tales to a new audience, ones that don't read the books. It would be different if Tolkein was alive to see how the films were made and if he approved to compare them as I am sure Rowling had a big say in matters.

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am more of Harry Potter. Lord of the Rings is far more serious and has a larger world. There are so many stories you could get from it, so many worlds. Harry Potter seems to have just one world, and it's easier to feel that world. I think I am more home at watching Harry Potter than watching Lord of the Rings. But I must admit that Lord of the Rings is far away better in cinematography and the story is impeccable too. Both made me cry, but if I had to choose which I would watch again, I would definitely choose Harry Potter.

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Which one is more interesting? Both movies are interesting by their own rights and saying that Harry Potter is more interesting than LOTR is a bit off since both movies aren't similar in terms of the actual scenarios and stories that occur in the movie itself. But I think the Harry Potter films are more interesting since the story and characters are more grounded to reality and we can all probably relate to.

4. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I enjoyed the Harry Potter books and films, but they never were able to captivate me like the Lord of the Rings series, (both books and films). The lore of the LOTR was enthralling and complex. I can re-read and re-watch the books and films, and still learn more about the world and characters. It will be something I always go back to every few years.

5. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    Harry Potter, but only because I was never introduced to Lord of the Rings as a child.

Lately I have got my hands on The Hobbit, and it's certainly an interesting book. It got my attention and I plan to read the books of the Lord of the Rings trilogy but I doubt I'll like them more than Harry Potter. Nostalgia can be a powerful thing, after all.

6. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I like both and it is hard to choose which among the two is the best. I am an avid fan of Harry Potter books and movies. I didn't miss any of the movie in theaters. I also love Lord of the Rings trilogy. I like the story evolution in Harry Potter movies from the young who lived to the young ma who defeated Lord Voldemort and I also am quite interested if the movie involves magic. About Lord of the Ring I am greatly amaze with the settings, the landscape and the special effects. The storyline is also great and I am a great of Gandalf the Grey.

7. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjayMember

Threads:
    I'm not really a big fan of either of these franchises. But I will give Harry Potter a little bit of credit for one reason. The Harry Potter series truly evolved unlike most movie franchises. We saw how almost childish the first movie was. Over the course of the six movies, the atmosphere and world literally grew up into something more adult. That's the aspect I give it credit for because that's VERY hard to pull off.