Has a movie or a game ever made you buy/read a certain book(that maybe inspired it)?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by illusen • Apr 1, 2013.

1. illusen

illusenNew Member

Threads:
    Watching a good movie and then deciding to see if the book is better, if the director missed any important details is something quite common for me. After all, a movie is only an interpretation of the content of the book, seen through their eyes.

Game of Thrones made me purchase RR Martin's books, Lord of the Rings made me get Tolkien's, the Dragon Age: Origins game pushed me to read D. Gaider's The Stolen Throne. Those are just a few that come to mind right now.

Have you ever decided to buy/read a book after watching a movie inspired by it?

2. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. It's Hunger Games for me. But what happened to me was not actually see the movie yet. I've seen the trailers and clips of the movie first (the movie was way over the screening date already so I've just seen it through youtube) and then decided to read the book first before watching the entire movie. After I finished reading the book, then I watched the movie online. :D And the book is better than the movie. :p

3. skyby7

skyby7New Member

Threads:
    Watching The Lord of the Rings made me read alot of Tolkien's books.

I really enjoyed his work. Amazing writer.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I would love to read the book "Let Me In" by John Ajvide Lindqvist, because I have seen the US version of the film, and I loved it. I also heard that the book was even better than the film. I just haven't bought the book yet though, but I'm planning to.

5. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Harry Potter series. When I first watched Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's stone, I was instantly hooked. I loved the characters and the story and boy was I glad to find out that it was actually based on a book written by J.K. Rowling. I didn't know her back then but I desperately wanted to read the other books in the series. To my delight, the books were even better than the movie tie ins.

6. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I only bought one of the Harry Potter books when I was a kid (the Prisoner of Azkaban one), and even though I read it all, I didn't like it better than the movie. I think they actually did such an amazing job with the film that it couldn't even top J.K. Rowling's writing.

7. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    After i watched the movie Twilight, i started to read Stephenie Meyer's novel. Books are often better than movies. Books bring you a rich room of imagination.

8. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    For me it would have to be the lovely bones. I thought this movie was very well made and the plot was just very powerful to me. I rarely enjoy low budget films like this so I bought the book and finished it within two days. It was even better the the film which was brilliant to begin with!

9. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    As a child, my first long book was "The Wind in the Willows". I love that adventure and revisit it from time to time. There was a cartoon version made that I didn't like. It was jolting to see someone else's depiction of what I had vividly imagined while reading. I then stumbled upon a stop-animation version (British-made I believe) that I didn't like too much at first, but I gave it a chance and I now love it as much as the reading the book. They really captured the essence of what's in the book.

10. Anna_Bella07

Anna_Bella07Member

Threads:
    Twilight was the first movie which made me read Stephenie Meyer's books. Harry potter I have read only the first two parts only after the movie I read the rest. :)

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I read Harry Porter before I saw the movies. I had no interest in seeing the movie until I read the book. There were parts of the book I wanted to see how it would be translated to the movie screen. I have also read Percy Jackson before it became a movie.

12. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Just because of the game series STALKER i started reading the novel it was inspired like Roadside Picnic and the 1979 movie. Got to say it was one the best decisions i ever made.

13. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    There are two movies that made me want to read the book, which are the adaptations from the books. First one is called "A Walk to Remember", which is a poignant Young Adult novel written by Nicholas Sparks. Another book would be "Bridge to Terabithia", which is a Children's book in which the ending is very sad.

14. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I mostly read the books first, and then I watch the movie. However, there are two I do remember this happening with. I watched the movie called Flowers in the Attic. When I found out it was a book, I read it. It is by V.C. Andrews. The other one was The Secret Garden. I loved the movie so I had to read the book.

15. jbepp

jbeppMember

Threads:
    Yes. I saw The Battle Royale Movie a few years ago and a brother told me that the book was infinitely better so I decided to read it.
    It's a great book and the movie definitely isn't the same so I'm thankful to my brother for that.

16. nhsososo4

nhsososo4Member

Threads:
    for me its the other way around. Well I once read a book that came out in 2009 he is not into you, and it was later made into a movie. I must say it was really an eye opener and made me realise a lot of things about relationships. The main thing I learnt was that if a guy really loves you, it will show and when he is playing you his actions will tell.

It is one of those books a person should always read, especially females before they enter into a relationship.

17. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

After watching the twilight movies I been wanting to read the books because I have heard the books are even better I also want to get the hunger game books as well.

18. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    IMO, movies are [or at least in the past] they were the highest form of art. I find it impossible therefore to read a book or story from which the idea that was used to create the film script was obtained. Rather, I'd read a book then watch a movie to see how well the adaptation was done. It has never worked for me the other way round.

19. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    I read Rainmaker not long ago and it is a great book. I haven't seen the movie for a while, but I think that the books are almost always better than the movies. I had also read the entire "Lord of the Rings" series and "The Hobbit" long before the movies came out and I have to say that I think they did an awesome job of capturing these movies on film. They also have the technology to do that now, but I thought that the movies were as good as the books in this case!