Has anyone actually breastfed their child for FREE?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by amyfromky • Aug 27, 2012.

1. amyfromky

amyfromkyNew Member

Threads:
    I was thinking about this today while I was nursing my daughter. First and foremost, I decided to breastfeed because I personally feel like it is the best nutrition I can give my baby. I also like the fact that breast milk is free. Then, I thought a little more about it. In the first week after my baby was born, I had to rent a pump for $55/month because she ended up in the NICU. Once we brought her home, she wouldn't latch because she was used to a bottle, so I had to buy a double electric pump for $220 + an extra set of parts since I was pumping 12 times a day (and that was even a fairly *cheap* pump). I finally was able to get her to nurse, but then I had to buy a special lanolin because I was so sore. That lanolin was prescription and cost me $50. I have also had to buy milk storage bags to keep the milk I pump and breast pads so I don't end up with milk all over my shirt. (I've spent roughly $100 thus far).

So here I am, breastfeeding because it was the "free" option, and I've spent about $425 to do it. :confused: I am not sure about how much formula costs, but I'm sure it is more expensive than what I've spent. I just get a kick out of how much I've spent on something that should be free.

So, have you BF for free?

2. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I actually did breastfeed my children for free. They weren't in the NICU though. At that point everything gets pricier for sure.

3. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I never thought of it, but you're right. I also spent $200 plus on a pump. I also had sore nipples and not only bought cream but special ice packs. I work part time so I spent money on special storage bags to freeze excess milk. At least when I had my second, I was mostly set. Although I did step on the pump in the middle of the night and had to buy a replacement part for it. My sister in law actually did it for free. She never even bought a bottle. He went right from breast to a sippy cup. I never added up the cost of formula for a year. I would assume even with a pump we're still getting a better deal.

4. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    Thankfully, I received a double electric breast pump and several bottles as baby shower gifts.
    I did have to purchase one large tube of Lansinoh and a head of cabbage for the early days. I also bought approximately 3 boxes of milk storage bags whenever I went back to work. Additionally, my hunger was through the roof during the first year of my daughter's life. I did not keep track of our grocery budget at the time, but I am certain that our bill increased by about $100 a month. I am not sure of what the total was, but I'm sure it was less than formula would have cost me. Hopefully, I can breastfeed our second baby for free.
    Also, kudos to you for your persistence and determination to nurse your daughter!

5. eLiz21730

eLiz21730New Member

Threads:
    A very close friend lent me her pump and I bought new tubing, etc. (I know a lot of people frown on that, but she is very close and I personally did not have a problem with it.) So, aside from the $35 on replacement tubes and milk storage containers and maybe, $25 on milk storage bags, I did not spend anything else on breastfeeding. My little one hated milk from a bottle, so I stopped buying bags to freeze and he actually began self-weaning at about 8 months. I can understand why you are questioning breastfeeding being a "cheaper" route - pumps are SO expensive! However, if you have more children, the cost of your pump will even out because you'll continue to use it.

6. englerja

englerjaMember

Threads:
    I have breastfed 3 children for free except for the price of 1 dose of antibiotics for mastitis and a nipple shield with my oldest so maybe $15 total. I am fortunate though that I can stay home with my children and we never experienced any NICU stays so pumping has never been necessary for us. Formula is very expensive though, even at the $450 you figured you have still saved a ton of money and remember if you have more children then you will already have the pump available.

7. anniep1978

anniep1978New Member

Threads:
    I`m sure I have not breastfed for free because I`ve purchased nursing bras, nursing pads and lansinoh. But I`m sure compared to the price of formula what I`ve spent is very minimal.;)

8. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    Good for you that you chose to breastfeed, it is the best for your baby! I was lucky I guess I didn't spend anything on breastfeeding my kids, and I must say it was the best choice I ever made because I wanted my kids to get the best. I breastfeed all 11 of my kids and they are all grown and married with kids of their own now except for my two youngest which are still home with me. I also used cloth diapers except for when we would go somewhere, then I would use desposables. There are so many benefits from breastfeeding, and even if would of had to spend any money in order to be breastfeeding my kids, it would of still been worth it because breastfeeding is more beneficial to your kids!!

9. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I know it may seem like a lot in costs to breastfeed since you had to go through all of that, but think of all the health benefits that will help your daughter.
    I tried to breastfeed, but wasn't able to. I think it is very hard to breastfeed for absolutely nothing. Unless the mom stays home to breastfeed all the time, and never is away from her child, you have to pay money for a lot of other things. The cost of a pump, bottles, breast milk storage bags, lanolin, etc. gets really expensive.

10. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I think I breastfed my second and third child for free as I have become a stay at home mom and I didn't use any pump or bottles, but I just direct breastfed them. I didn't really buy any extra products for breastfeeding too. I did purchase quite a lot of products when I breastfed my first child, as I was still working in the office, hence I had to invest in pumps and bottles. But after I weaned off my first child and started to buy formula milk, only I found out the formula milk was really expensive. It was so much cheaper even if I invested in the breast pump and bottles.

So I think if one can just direct breastfeed the baby all the time, then it should really be free.

11. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I didn't spend too much because my son would only take the breast and hated the taste of rubber so never took a bottle which meant I never had to express it. I did buy nursing bras and pads but that's about all so it was much cheaper than having to buy formula, feeding bottles, teets and sterilising stuff etc.

12. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I naturally breast fed my baby until she turned six months old and had to stop because I would work and she got used to the bottle and wouldn't take my breast milk anymore so I kept her in a formula and bottle until now. Since she was okay with the formula and growing well I didn't find the need ot pump my breast milk as she was very happy with the formula.