Has anyone ever ordered beer online?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by limcid • Apr 3, 2013.

1. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    If so, what was your experience and was it worth it?

- shipping costs?
    - condition of the delivered package?
    - any broken bottles?

I'm interested in trying some beers that I can't get locally and things that aren't so common on grocery store shelves.

2. himali.jagma

himali.jagmaMember

Threads:
    i have not ordered

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you considered asking one of your local beer/liquor stores to start carrying it for you? They may be able to add on a small amount to their normal shipments from their distributor. Might save you on the shipping costs, and they probably have a process to get refunds and exchanges on broken bottles without you having to deal with the fuss.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't, but check out their policies and make sure it's worth it in cases of damaged bottles etc.

5. daniel.d

daniel.dBanned

Threads:
    Nopes.. not online I would like to purchase from the local store in my neighbor hood

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried ordering beer online since I don't drink, but as long as they accept Paypal then your money is safe, because if there's something wrong with the purchase then you can easily open a dispute.

7. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    No, I haven't. I don't care much for beer and you aren't even allowed to order it to PA :/.

8. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    No I haven't, and I probably will not in the future. The chances that the bottles will break while it is on the truck is very likely, and I feel it's just a waste of money and time. It would take less time if I just went to a store and bought it myself.

9. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Is that even possible?
    Well, i would think so for some famous and rare brand, maybe?
    But really, i don't like to order food online because you may never know how good it is.

10. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I have never ordered and I never plan to either.
    I can't even begin to imagine how scary the shipping rates are to even keep the package cool.
    It's so much easier to just buy it fresh and cold from the supermarket.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I haven't. My supermarket and the local gourmet market both have a lot of imported beers. There's never been a beer that I wanted to find badly enough to order it online.

12. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never ordered beer online, but we did try ordering one of the Mr. Beer kits from Amazon, and tried making our own beer. The plan did not work out well for us. Our first batch was way flat, so we added more sugar to the next batch, and it had so much carbonation, it just about all ran out of the bottles. So, we have not tried ordering any more beer kits, but it was kind of a fun experience.

13. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I have never tried to order beers online, I didn't even know you could order beer online. In any case I would be worried about the shipping cost being more then the beer itself.

14. emmashopping

emmashoppingMember

Threads:
    still i have not ordered.

15. jericjames10

jericjames10Member

Threads:
    I haven't try this too but I want to try.

16. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    This is actually a good idea. If you shop at a boutique wine store that also carries beer and liquor they can easily get something added to a regular delivery, and you can have your beer in as soon as a day or so. Some places are even willing to do beer tasting if there's enough interest. Another option would be to see if there's a beer-a-month type club
    accessible to you.

17. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, one of the benefits is that you're usually saving on the shipping costs. The already have shipments coming in regularly anyhow so generally it's not a big deal to add your stuff to their order as well. It might even help them out more to order stuff that they know their customers are interested in, instead of stocking items that don't sell.

18. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Sure, but I've generally done it through specific sites like FoodyDirect or such rather than directly. It's easier and safer in terms of how shipping works, refunds, and general customer service. That said I third the idea of asking a local shop if they can get it in for you. Having done that in the past I can honestly say that's its worked great and saves on a great deal of trouble.

19. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I wasn't even aware you could order alcohol. Usually if we wanted something special we went to an alcohol shop. If they didn't have something they'd special order it for us. Be careful because the bottles can break in the truck or the cans being crushed. Makes sure you find somewhere good with refunds and good customer service. That stuff is generally expensive. You don't want to be cheated.

20. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I personally don't see the point of doing so. Why would you prolong the wait for your beer when you can go right to the local liquor store and get it on the spot? The only way I would do that is if it was at least 50% off.