Has Anyone Ever Used Western Union Or Money Gram?

Discussion in Payment Methods started by Colebra • Nov 3, 2015.

1. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I'm looking a few products I wanted to buy.
    I get a great price, but this particular website only takes these two payment methods.
    I've looked around the Internet, and the reviews are not very encouraging...

Naturally, my seller is from parts of the world where nuclear bombs get made, and children are put to work by the time they're three years old...

Does anyone have any experience with Western Union or Money Gram?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The two offer similar services. Both are very expensive.

But when comparing the two, insofar as what they charge for their services is concerned, Western Union is more expensive. Since you have no choice but to pay using either of the two, I recommend using Money Gram because you'll at least save a little money.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These services are used in emergencies or as you said in places where PayPal consider them too high risk. Are the items you want to buy worth the hassle and the risk? It negates the savings, plus I am assuming that contact to return items if there were issues would be difficult.

Weigh it up and is it worth the planning and waiting around for the item to be delivered? Most sites can still take credit cards, and I personally wouldn't take the risk.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've used Western Union a couple of times before. Although it was very fast and effective, I wasn't happy with the fees they charge, as I believe they're extortionate. I hate sites that don't use Paypal or at the very least credit/debit cards, and tend to avoid them because I find anything else too much like hard work LOL I also like the security of Paypal and credit cards.

5. nailah783

nailah783Member

Threads:
    I would never buy something that required me to send my payments western union or money gram. It seems a little sketch to me. Like who doesn't accept credit cards or paypal or some other payment exchange site these days.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't used Western Union or Moneygram yet, but I would advise you to not take the risk because you might end up being scammed, it happened to me when I sent money and then the seller changed her number, so I was left with nothing but wasted money. Just look for another online store that accepts Paypal, since using money transfer companies are quite risky.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have been using Western Union. Twice when relatives in the US sent money to us here in the Philippines. And several times when we sent money to our relatives in the province. It is easy to send because all you need is the name of the recipient. On their part, the recipient just needs to show her ID card plus the tracking number which the sender would provide. The Western Union here have a membership so the next remittance is discounted.

8. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    No, I have never used western money or Moneygram. Paypal and Alert pay are the only digital wallet that I use. They are trustworthy and reliable. I have been getting the amount transferred to my account from Paypal and as of now I have not encountered any problem with it.

9. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    I've tried their services but just like what others have mentioned, they charge big. Have you any thoughts of using Bitcoin as a payment method?

10. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I've been using Western Union in receiving money from my mom who lives abroad. Well, Western Union has a great service and there are plenty of branches worldwide that you won't really have a hard time accessing to one. However, the only downside of it I think is it's way too expensive compared to others.

That's why if I don't need the money right away, I would have it deposited on my bank account instead and wait for a day before getting it, to avoid huge service fees.

11. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have used a money gram once a long time ago and the thing took forever. I am not sure if things have improved since then, but I really have no intention of finding out and have just found ways around ever having to need to use something like it anymore.

12. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    The future of money transfers doesn't seem to be the cash to cash way.

There are now mobile, bank-to-bank and blockchain ways.

13. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have an Adsense account with Google where my blogs earn me some money. The withdrawable amount is $100 and twice I had received payment from Google via Western Union. And uncle in the US also sent me money once thru Western Union and it's also prompt because the money can be withdrawn (from any Western Union branch) upon your receipt of the code (provided by the sender, i.e. Google and my uncle.

For sending, I had used Western Union twice to send money to a relative in the province. Just the same, there was no hassle in receiving the money.

14. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I have used Western Union services in the past. They deliver without fail however, the charges are just too high I feel. I have no experience with Moneygram.

Bank transfers are better than these two methods.

15. Forty Five

Forty FiveNew Member

Threads:
    I have personally used western union several times and I've had no problems with them at all. It may be a bit more expensive than some of the other payment methods but it is definitely trustworthy in my opinion. I don't know much about moneygram but I have heard some positive reviews about it too. However, I would not spend any money on a site that already has many negative reviews.

16. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    In our county, Western Union is very reliable as far as money transfer is concerned. When our daughter is working abroad, she always sends us money back home by availing the service of Western Union. She had already completed her 2-year working contract. Out of those years she had been transmitting money to us via WU. I didn't find any problem receiving the money from our daughter.

17. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I have used Western Union and Money Gram service to receive cash from other countries and I have used these money transfer service many time.The only problem I have with these money transfer service is I have to go to the agent to receive cash, there is not online deposit method available in my home country for Western Union and Money Gram.

18. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Been using Western Union in receiving money for years now. I can say that Western Union is the most trusted and reliable money transfer service out there, as from my experience. But if you're going to use it in buying an item online or sending money from someone you barely know, I think using Western Union or MoneyGram won't be a good idea. As I can remember, WU warns their customers to not send money to people you barely know, since they can't help you if ever it's a fraud. That's why people should be always careful.

If you like buying items online I suggest you use PayPal instead since PayPal has a payment protection for online shoppers if I wasn't mistaken. But since you've mentioned that there's only two payment methods (and PayPal isn't one of them), I think it's better to drop it and choose a different seller, just to be safe :)

19. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    Western Union and Money Gram are okay but they do charge quite big amount of cash if we are talking about international remittance. But there won't be any problem with these two. The only problem would be the person who is selling you the product. If the seller is legit, then you do not have to worry.

20. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I have used western union and money gram. And it seems to be usable for the simple stuff. But based on the current available options. You don't really need the western union and the money gram anymore. As they are not evolving anymore. So this surely sounds like a good waste of time from how I am seeing this.