Has Anyone Installed The Device To Get A Discount On Car Insurance?

Discussion in Auto Insurance started by MrsJones • May 7, 2016.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    We recently changed our auto insurance and agreed to the installation of the device that monitors your driving habits to get the additional discount. It just arrived and I have yet to read the paperwork that accompanied the device. I have often wondered if this really pays off. I've never heard anyone comment about it.

Anyone?

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @MrsJones@MrsJones I haven't. I've seen the devices advertised, but first of all, I have a very old vehicle, and I don't know where the units plug in, so I'm not sure it would even be an option for me. None of my cigarette lighters/charger spots work anymore, and it seems that is where it would plug in, but I could be wrong. In addition to that, I don't like the idea of my driving (or anything I do, for that matter) being monitored. I already receive discounts for driving low miles, and haven't had an accident since 2009 (hit & run, me being the vehicle that was hit), so I think my rate's probably as low as it's going to get.

I am interested in the concept, though, so I hope others who do use them come along and post, or that you'll post more about your experience once you get it installed and use it for a while. Is it something you only use for a limited amount of time, such as a month or two, then they base your rate off the data collected during that time frame, or is it something you need to keep in the car forever? If it was limited time, it might be something I would consider, if it was available through my agency, and it would work with my vehicle.

3. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Any car purchased after 1996 probably has a diagnostic reader or technically called an OBD-II port (on board diagnostic reader). I just installed the device before my husband drives to Cincinnati. It was very easy to plug it in. I should get an email after he returns to see if it is working properly. If it isn't I will contact customer support.

An article stated that mechanics use something similar to run diagnostics on vehicles that's good to know.

I will try to update through the course of the 90 day period.

4. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Ah, that's the place the guy at AutoZone plugged the diagnostic machine in to figure out why the check engine light was on, I guess? It's good to know that it would be a possibility for me, although i really don't like being observed, whether it's me personally, or my habits, whether online or while driving in my vehicle. So, @MrsJones@MrsJones you drive with the device for 90 days, then they base your rate on what they observe during that time period?

5. bogo

bogoMember

Threads:
    I feel like that device is a slippery slop for privacy. From a money saving standpoint, what happens if you do something in panic that causes a crash? Will the insurance company not honor your claim because the device said you were reckless. I don't think you can put a price on privacy and I won't be putting one of these in my car.

6. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    @Diane Lane@Diane Lane. Only one time for 90 days. I could save up 30% on my premium and because I elected to do this I receive an automatic 5% decrease.

@bogo@bogo. These are valid questions that you ask, no doubt. I'm sure there are many who choose not to as well.

7. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have heard about that I think that it would be worth it if you truly only use your card a few times a month. I know that my grandma has one on her car because she only drives to the market and that's it. It does save her money on insurance.

8. bogo

bogoMember

Threads:
    How much does she usually save per year? Is it a monthly discount or is it a one time type of deal? Also, I assume they only check it in the event of an accident?

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That sounds interesting, but my driving is kind of in streaks, I don't drive everyday, but when I do, it is usually pretty far, because I live in the country and nothing is close by. I doubt it would really save me money, to use a device in fact it might cost me money. One thing I have heard advertised on the radio is "The Insurance Doctor, a company that claims" they will save you money on your insurance or dinner at the restaurant of your choice is on them." I would be shocked if my rate could get any lower really, and I have my homeowners insurance rolled in with my provider. However, I thought it might be fun to try the insurance doctor. Maybe they are nation wide I am not sure.

10. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I had a discussion with my insurance agent last week on this and a few other subjects. It seems State Farm had tried out the device that needs to be plugged in or installed in vehicles, although that didn't seem to work out, because apparently it can cause some issues. They opted instead to use a different system, and I'm waiting for mine to arrive. It is some sort of bluetooth device that pairs up with your smart phone and transmits the data to the insurance company in that manner. There's also an option to save the data and transmit it via wifi, so you don't have to use your allotted data.

11. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Well, here's the update after my 90 days of driving with the device. I will receive an additional 5% decrease on my auto insurance. So with the automatic 5% decrease for signing up that's a total of 10% off my premium.

@Diane Lane@Diane Lane, I had heard that there could be some issues as well. I think once my husband told me that the vehicle cut off when he was at stop light but I don't know if that could be because of the device. I will chock it up as so because we never had a problem like that before. Luckily it was only one week left before the 90 day period was up.

Is this something that I would recommend to save on auto insurance? Yes.

12. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who immediately thought of privacy concerns. I would also be worried about systems like this having bugs or glitches or giving false positives.

I see below that there have been some issues. I don't think I would want to rely on a system like this.

I suppose eventually this kind of thing will be standard in new vehicles, but as long as I don't have to have one, I probably won't. I mean, there really is no privacy any more if you are online, but I still don't like the idea of someone tracking my every movement.

I'd want a very clear description of exactly how any and all of this information is going to be used, at the very least.

13. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I have to say that this really feels a bit invasive for me. I am also not sure about the discounts that would come with it, so I would need to be 100 percent sure of what I was getting myself into before installing anything into my car. Installing on the computer is one thing, but in your vehicle is a whole other ballgame. I am curious to see the reviews of people who have used it, though.

14. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Privacy is always a top concern with me, as well as safety. I can't recall exactly what the issues were that the person I spoke to mentioned, but the vehicle cutting off does sound familiar, so perhaps that was one of them. I wouldn't install a device for that reason. I'm not really in a position to turn down discounts, however, and if they turn out to be 5% - 10% or more, I will probably keep the device, assuming it works with my vehicle and smartphone.

15. ashley0323

ashley0323Member

Threads:
    Not that I have anything to hide, but I dont like the idea of having a gps tracker in my car. I am sketchy about things like that, which is why I dont go through that specific plan that progressive has.

16. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    This would definitely be something that I would try out. For someone who doesn't break traffic laws, and they know they don't, then taking advantage of getting cheaper insurance by installing a device for the agency is something worth doing.

All they want to know is that I'm not being reckless and they will give me cheaper insurance. I also know that they are doing that to collect data on drivers for other reasons they won't tell you.

17. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I'd just like to share what information that was forwarded to me from the insurance agency I'm with. Each month I received a report that contained the dates and times the vehicle was driven, how long, miles driven, the increase and decrease in speed, and hard breaks. There were recommendations on how to possibly increase your discount for example 'decrease the hard breaking' which makes sense because that could be an indicator leading to an accident or another example 'decrease speed' of course we all know that also could be an accident indicator or even a speeding ticket.

If the device reported other information to the insurance agency it wasn't on the report that I received but as far as our driving habits and recommendations it was valuable information.