Has anyone purchased a iRobot Roomba?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by JoanMcWench • Mar 7, 2014.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I was considering picking one up until I realized people either hate this thing or love it. From what I hear it's low impact vacuuming so one should not expect it to replace a traditional vacuum. I've also heard you should not leave it unattended. That one really stings because that would be the reason I would purchase it.

So, does anyone have any experience with this little bugger?

2. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I would love one of these but they are a little pricey. A aunt of mine has one and she uses it on a daily basis practically but in her home it's just two adults and three cats. She still uses her regular vacuum once a week though. She also has one in her cabin where it's all hard wood floors and she told me it works a lot better on the hard wood floors than on the carpet.

3. alahnna

alahnnaMember

Threads:
    I have seen the commercials for this item and I haven't bothered with it because I don't think it would be enough for my house. I can fill my large canister vacuum every day pretty much. With 6 daycare children here, 2 cats, a dog, a wood stove, etc, there is a ton of dirt that gets tracked in every day. That little tiny machine would never be able to keep up with it.

I think that it makes a good point about keeping an eye on it when the Roomba is going though. I remember watching a video on facebook that someone posted. The person set the Roomba to going then left the house to go shopping. The dog was also left and had free reign of the house. He pooped on the floor and the Roomba drove right through it, leaving poop smears all over the hardwood, the rugs, etc. I laughed but I wouldn't be laughing if I came home to a mess like that!

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's pretty funny but I would definitely be upset if I came home and saw that a Roomba had tracked a nasty mess all over my apartment. I've never wanted a Roomba because vacuuming a one bedroom apartment is not that hard, so it's not worth buying a specialized device for.

5. 57spotty

57spottyNew Member

Threads:
    i want one of these sooooooooooooo bad, i wish knew the really bad stuff about it so i wouldn't want it anymore, not like i would ever be able to afford one anyway, lol, but still... it seems like it would be sooooo nice and i hate vacuuming. i hate doing the dishes even more, can we get a robot for that? lol!

6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    So, it seems like we're all in the same boat? That's crazy. I thought someone would have purchased one by now. How long has it been out? For at least five years, I thought.

7. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure if it's the same model, but my mom has one of those robot vacuums and the first time she ran it in her new house her dog had a fit! She caught the whole thing on video and it was hilarious! I think not long after that it stopped working though.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really wanted want of these, but being so expensive I'm hesitant to get one. If I was completely sure it was super effective and replaced my own efforts to clean my carpet I would for sure invest. However, hearing people say it's not as potent as a regular vacuum cleaner and it doesn't work as well on carpets... why even bother paying that much if I will still need to clean the carpet, which is the hard part to clean!

9. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    i have had a Roomba for several years now, and it is wonderful for me; but maybe not for everyone. It does a good job of picking up the normal dirt and hair on a carpet, and it will get into places that you can't usually get to with a regular upright vacuum.
    It would not be good for a floor that needed a deep vacuuming, or probably not for one with a lot of pets.
    Roomba will get stuck, so you don't want to leave her alone to clean when no one is watching. If Roomba goes under the bed or couch, and gets tangled up on an electrical cord that is left under there; then you have to get under the bed to untangle her and get her out from under the bed or couch.
    If the house is already pretty clean, and no objects laying around for Roomba to get tangled up with, or try to crawl over, or stuck under; then you can just turn it on and let Roomba do her job. There is also a little gadget that makes a kind of electric fence and will keep Roomba from going through the door into another room where you don't want her to go, or getting out of the room where you do want her to clean.
    So, it is definitely something that can be a great help, or not worth buying; depending on your circumstances and need from a vacuum cleaner.