Has anyone purchased the Magic Mesh?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by TNSabrina • Aug 31, 2012.

1. TNSabrina

TNSabrinaMember

Threads:
    My backdoor does not have a screen door and I would like to leave it open during the spring and fall just for fresh air. I saw the Magic Mesh advertised on T.V., and I thought it may work perfect for what I need. I was wondering if anyone has purchased it and if it effectively works. Does it stay up strong and easy to put up? It claims to be easy to use, but I would rather get the opinions of others before investing money into one.

2. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I have not purchased it myself. But I was also interested in this. Then I read a review on it in a magazine (sorry, can't remember the name of the magazine) that stated it was not a good product and cheaply made. Sure did look great in the infomercial, didn't it? Of course, they all do.

3. freemind_76

freemind_76Member

Threads:
    I saw a comment on another thread that tried this Magic Mesh. That person strongly discouraged the purchase of the said product. He said it only gave him problems. Looked good on TV but in reality, it was a big disappointment. A total waste of money.

4. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Have read mixed reviews about it in the UK. Many claim that aligning those magnets is quite a job and it's mostly a hit and miss. Considering the price for a door-length mesh is about £30, I think I would not bother giving it a try.

5. MeliciousMona

MeliciousMonaNew Member

Threads:
    When my Hubby and I got our new apartment the balcony door didn't have a screen, which meant that we couldn't leave the door open to get some fresh air. Hubby being the HUGE As seen on TV supporter he is came home one day with Magic Mesh. Now the ads say that it works anywhere. And the magic magnets are super strong. They are half right. The magic mesh needs to be screwed into the wall- not an option for us with an aluminum door frame, so we used the alternate method- the super strong magnets. They were strong enough to hold the mesh up but too strong to walk through, which resulted in the magic mesh falling down every exit or entrance.

So I would say, it would work- if you have a wooden door frame that you can screw it to. And the magnets really do seal behind you. It just wasn't right for us.

6. chasek8

chasek8New Member

Threads:
    We have the magic mesh on our front door and I find it works well. It was easy to install and didn't require much prep. I would recommend it. Be careful though there are other 'wannabee' products out there that claim they are the same but are not even close, a friend of mine ended up with a product that ripped two days after she got it. Also if you have a pet that is known to chew, this may not be a great idea.

7. BigBigFan

BigBigFanMember

Threads:
    It's a great idea, and simple, but it does have one nagging problem you may want to be aware of. If you don't fold it properly when storing it, or if you leave it in place for extended periods of time(months), it stiffens a little and distorts. When that happens the magnets don't just fall next to each other as easily and the door doesn't snap shut anymore. This is easily fixed with a little tlc, stretching etc but it's not as maintenance free as you'd think in the commercials. Great product though, very useful!

8. HughIvar

HughIvarBanned

Threads:
    not a good product and cheaply made. Sure did look great in the infomercial, didn't it? Of course, they all do.

9. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    At my old customer service job, I had a lot of these returned. People said they were cheap, they couldn't get them to stay where they were supposed to be, and they ripped easily. But a few of these reviews do sound promising, I think it just depends on how you use it. I've yet to, but I haven't had a need to look for something like this either.

10. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    When I first seen the Magic Mesh, I feel in love. I live in a house that my husband and I designed for them to build, but we didn't want to pay for screen doors. We never thought about the fact that if we wanted more Sunlight we needed a screen door. So I seen this infomercial on TV and I was like I want that I really want that. I guess you can say I didn't want it that bad because in most of the retail stores I shopped at, I would see it and walk past it. Now, I am glad that I read the information that you guys are sharing. I have a wooden frame, however, it seems like the setup that they spoke about is a little deceiving. There was another product I seen similar to a real screen door, that you could open like a door, but I never could find it again online, so they may have taken it off the market.

11. Kathy1112

Kathy1112New Member

Threads:
    Yes TNSabrina. I purchased a Magic Mesh for the same reason. I wanted to let fresh air in without a bunch of bugs coming in too. It was easy to install. I did put extra staples in mine because I wanted to make sure there were no cracks. We have really enjoyed ours.

12. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    My friend bought this recently and regrets it. The product is cheaply made and doesn't get the job done. She told me that it took a couple of hours to even install it. There were flies and mosquitoes flying in with ease is what she told me.

13. avasmom

avasmomMember

Threads:
    I purchased one last summer and we immediately placed it in a sliding glass door on the east side of the house. The magnets aren't very strong, and there is a constant breeze on that side so the screen kept opening on its own. We moved it to the other side of the house and it worked perfectly! You have to take the time to hang it perfectly straight, and if you do that, it will indeed work as advertised.