Has anyone rented clothing?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by sthrngypsy • Oct 5, 2014.

1. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I never have, but I keep seeing ads for one called Gwinnie Bee and I went and checked it out. The intro month looks ok for $10, but the subsequent months seem very expensive. $35 for one item, $59 for 2, $79 for 3. I guess if I were going on a cruise I could rent 3 items for $10 then cancel. They do have some brands I like, Igigi and Kiyonna. What do yall think?

2. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I've looked at renting clothing a few times but some of the sites seem really expensive after the initial trial period. Another site you could look at is Rent The Runway, for new customers it offers $25 off your first rental - though I'm not sure what their prices are, I declined to join. I've looked at Gywnnie Bee before and also declined to join and/or rent from them. I suppose if you are going on a cruise or need a special item it would be a good idea but other than that I'm not sure.

I'm sure there are more sites that will allow you to rent clothing. I've seen some for just purses and accessories, but it depends on what you are looking for.

3. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, this is definitely interesting. When I first looked at this topic, the thought that came to mind was that the practice of renting clothing might have been more common than not: I thought about people who have rented ball gowns and other ballroom attire during their high school years, other persons who have rented a tux so that they can be groomsmen or so at a wedding, and even the groom and bride themselves renting their tux and bridal gown respectively, so that they can offset the high costs often associated with hosting a wedding.
    But, based on what you've shared, I'd have to say that it's the first time that I'm hearing of this kind of clothing rental service. I've never practiced something like this, and frankly, I don't think I'm going to be doing so anytime soon. I'm not knocking those who resort to this method to get their clothes, because there might be the benefit of not having to really form any attachments to the clothing you wear, and you'll definitely be assured variety, being able to change your clothing options so often.
    However, based on the prices that you've listed, I think it would probably work out to be far more cost effective if you just spent the same amount on new clothes each time. You'd have the same variety, spend the same money, and not feel that you can't "do some damage" to it (ie, have the same freedom with it because you own it), which would probably be restricted with the rented clothing. With those, I'm sure there's an obligation to return with no damage to the clothes, so that others will be able to make full use of it at another time.
    And, if you're worried about "overstuffing" your closet by constantly buying new clothing for the sake of variety, then just remember that there's always goodwill. There's always someone out there who could really use something that you're giving away.
    So, for my take, I'd say that I'll gladly continue buying my own clothes instead of renting them.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I thought of special occassions like the prom to rent clothing but for every day wear it does not seem like a practical thing to do. You will spend more money renting the item than you would spend to out right purchase the clothing. I can see a smaller downpayment may be something a person thinks about but when you look at the whole picture it does cost way too much.

5. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think renting is worth it for me. I see this kind of service more towards people who want to have the latest designer or brand label fashions. In that sens renting might be good since those are the kind of people that buy something, wear it a few times and then it's out of style and never wear it again. So with this service they are still spending a lot on clothes but they get to keep up with trends better.

But I don't have money to waste on that, I buy my clothes and keep them for as long as they look good and they fit. I've been the same size for about 3 years so I have some clothes that are out of style but I still love and wear. I would never consider something like this, I wouldn't pay for example $50 to rent a brand dress when I could just buy any similar dress for that amount.

6. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    When I first read the topic line, prom dresse, wedding dresses, etc came to mind. It never crossed my mind that people rent just everyday wear or even an outfit to wear on a cruise. I guess its a to each her own decision to do something like this. It makes no sense to me but hey, if you got that kind of money to waste....go for it!

7. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't know you can rent everyday clothing! In my country, the common practice is to rent gowns for wedding, prom, and other occasion. I think it's interesting to be able to wear the latest brands and designs even for a short time. However, I do think that it is expensive. Maybe, after renting initial pieces, you can cancel the subscription. That is what I do with some services.

8. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Really took the words right out of my mouth here! I just don't see the appeal of renting ultimately, and don't really have the money to. I'd rather spend my money on clothes that I can keep and use for a long time. It also seems like all of those services get really steep in prices after the initial sort of "introduction" phase, so to speak, and I find that really, really unappealing.

9. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Renting clothing would make sense for a special occasion or event. Otherwise, it's more creepy than useful for other situations. It seems pretty costly, too, so it's not something you'd want to use to replace your wardrobe with. Perhaps a clever idea, but it's an idea that doesn't really have widespread use and popularity. Basically, clothing rental is more of a gimmick or one time thing, not something you'd want to pay monthly for.

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not really my lifestyle, so I've never done it. Like troutski says, it does make sense for a special event that requires some expensive clothing that it's no more than one time use, it makes sense in those cases, but I don't have such needs.

11. randomdude

randomdudeMember

Threads:
    No. I have never rented clothing. And I don't think I would ever try. The tought of someone else having the same peice of clothing on before you just discusts me. Of course the clothing rental company may wash every single peice of clothing after use but I still would never rent clothes because I can't trust that the person before my use of the same clothing has good higene. There are just too many diseases going around to share things like clothing.

12. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    A few times when I was going to themed parties and handmade costumes were not an option. For normal parties I have a bunch of suits and assorted clothing that I can use accordingly. I didn't even knew renting clothes was a thing, in my mind renting equals carnival/Halloween clothes - not suits or dresses. Instead of renting, one could end up better by simply buying what he needs, this way those clothes are available for further usage.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Renting simply so I don't have to pay full price for something, that I'd definitely not do. Fashion freaks may find it useful. Instead of buying something like say a dress that they won't wear for more than one month, they pay the $70 and save some cash. The next month instead of buying another expensive dress, they pay another $70. It gets to be rather expensive in the long run but if you have the money to throw away . . .

For me, like the rest of the guys, I'd rent clothing if it is to be worn only once.

14. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of this concept for regular clothes besides like renting stuff for the prom or a wedding. This seems kind of ridiculous to me for the prices. I mean for those prices you could have just bought the clothes probably. Unless its really expensive clothes. I like to spend less on clothes anyway so spending a ton of money for renting would be a waste of money for me.

15. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've tried renting clothing during the following occasions:
    1. Graduation (I had to rent my toga).
    2. Ring hop (Buying a gown was too expensive for me so I went to a gown-renting shop and rented a big ball gown for a really cheap price.)
    3. Wedding (I was one of the bridesmaids and the person who was wed had all our gowns rented for economical reasons.)
    4. Local community fete (I was picked out as the little princess so my rented a gown for me.)

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd only consider it for formal wear, but for everyday clothing I think I'd much rather just spend that money on clothes that I will get to keep. For those prices, I'd probably just buy clothes instead of using the money to rent. I'd maybe consider it for a few choice occasions but I don't see it as being very practical unless you really need expensive clothes on certain night for a cheaper price. For most days though, it's much better to just buy your own.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I have never rented clothing as well. The amount that you pay is quite enough to buy brand new one, so why don't you just buy your own? I guess you have a lot of money to spare.

18. randomdude

randomdudeMember

Threads:
    The only time I have rented clothing is the few times I have attended a wedding or a family event where they expect you to dress the part. I think most people would agree that they have never rented clothing for none other than that same reason. I don't think there is even a service here you are able to rent everyday street clothes. But I wouldn't want to rent regular clothing anyway becase then you would have to concider cleanliness and hygene of others who have worn the clothing before you.

19. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    The only time I rented something was when I had a trip to Vegas. I had to rent a tux since I had a date with one of my cousin's friends. The place we ate at was very high class.