Has anyone temporarily lowered their credit limit?

Discussion in Credit Cards started by adamnawroc • Sep 1, 2012.

1. adamnawroc

adamnawrocNew Member

Threads:
    I've been considering doing this after a fraudulent charge scare. I don't make large purchases often and I'd lower it to where my credit utilization score would still max out at 35%.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I wouldn't. Yes, fraudulent charges can happen, but a good credit card company will remove that for you without it leaving any negative marks on your credit. I would rather have a higher credit limit available in case I really needed it for something.

3. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    I did about 10 years ago. I had several credit cards and one of the companies just kept raising the limit, time after time. I had a great looking credit report and didn't want anything on it to make it look bad because I was going to be building a house soon. I did not want to be denied getting a mortgage because a bank might have thought I would actually max out that one credit card with a really high limit. I had the company lower the credit limit so anybody who looked at my credit report would know that I would not be spending a lot of money on that card. I don't think by doing so that it had any negative consequences..

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Yes, I've asked the company to lower the limit, after the first credit card I had gradually raised the limit until it stood at £8,000. I wasn't worried that potential creditors may be worried by that, but I was concerned that I may be tempted to max out the card. I asked them to lower the limit, and they said they couldn't, but they wouldn't raise it again. After that, I called the company each time they proposed to raise the limit and asked them to lower it again.

5. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I have never asked any credit card company I had a card with to lower the limit. I made horrible credit card usage decisions when I was younger. I cleared up all my credit card debt and now I only use cash. Lowering your credit card limit is a good idea if your worried that may max out the card. You should contact your credit card company and see what they could do.

6. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    Here is something else to consider before you do that. If you want to keep a good credit score, your balance should be less than 50% of your credit line. If you lower your credit line on all of your credit cards, I would think that it will hurt your credit score.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't lower my credit limit, but you can put some type of watch on your account. This usually involves showing an id for any purchases.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't asked my credit card company to lower my limit because it's not a super high limit and I don't abuse credit or shop that much. I've never felt a need to lower my credit limit and I haven't gotten any offers to raise it either.