Has anyone tried square foot gardening?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by savergrl • Aug 11, 2012.

1. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    I read a little blurb in a magazine about something called square foot gardening. Basically you build a box, section it off in 1x1 sq ft sections and you follow a guide about how many of each plant to put in each square. This sounds very intriguing and efficient! Does anyone have experience with this method of gardening or have any further resources for information on the topic?

2. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I still have the whole backyard to plant but I prefer to plant in some pots which is a bit smaller than your 1x1 sq ft. The reason why is because I can move them anywhere incase of rain or if I spray insecticides outside. I plant tomatoes, eggplant and some chilly peppers in my pots. You don't use pots for it?

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have done square foot gardening before. I had a book that gives you directions on how to do it. It is basically a way to section off squares in your garden and then using the square areas to get the most production out of each square. The book does go into a lot more details than I ever did, but it was a great reference book with a lot of good ideas.

4. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    It seems to me that that would only work for plants that have a root system that grows straight down instead of branching out. If it branches out, it's going to interferw with any plants growing in the next square foot over and vice versa.

5. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly, this is why pots is a lot sensible in such case. If they grow along with some other plants, one will suck the nutrients of the soil leaving nothing for the other plants.

6. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    It also helps you save money on water because you don't have to water a whole bed. I like this idea. I have a 8 by 10 ft garden in my back yard and our water bill is through the roof this year. I will have to redesign it for next year because it is costing so much to keep up with it.