Has Hollywood run out of ideas?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Scottie • Mar 21, 2014.

1. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    There's an old writers adage that all TV show/book/movies are based on the same 7 ideas. I think that's especially true in today's day and age in movie making. Virtually everything was a book first, a superhero movie, or some sort of remake.

I wonder what it'll take to get original ideas back into movies? Or if it's even possible to do so?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish they would take all the money that they soak into a single stupid overblown superhero action movie that's attempting to be the next big summer blockbuster, and instead disperse it into more independent projects and show those directors some financial support and mentoring instead. It seems like a better investment since you would have many more chances of producing a hit movie (or more than one perhaps). Instead, they are putting all their eggs in one basket over and over again and just recycling every stupid gimmick, effect and other tropes - but just cranking it all up even more, assuming more is better.

I mean, watching some of these trailers alone is like the equivalent of getting hit in the face with a hammer several times. It's all loud explosions, short dramatic edits, people screaming, stuff smashing around. Give it a rest already.

3. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Really? I've never heard about this, what are the 7 ideas? It definitely makes sense, as you see many similarities across several works, but to compact them all down to 7? Seems interesting.