Have you already shopped for Thanksgiving?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Esperahol • Nov 4, 2014.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    If you haven't are you anticipating a lot of trouble as the month progresses? If you have were there any especial deals you came across? Me personally I started shopping in September for the can goods and the stuff like Pumpkin Pie Mix. I got the ham in October, because there was a sale on for some weird reason. I'm getting the more fresh stuff like green onions closer to the date, and I'm getting the Turkey when all the nice sales come up.

2. MichelleTheConsumer

MichelleTheConsumerMember

Threads:
    While I haven't shopped for all of my Thanksgiving dinner, I have made arrangements of sorts which will allow me to cook a meal every bit as scrumptious as always while spending quite a bit less!

I usually order a pre-stuffed turkey with apple-almond stuffing from my local butcher shop and serve mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, green bean salad, plump country biscuits, and pumpkin pie.

This year, we grew our own potatoes, green beans, lingonberries, onions, and herbs in the back yard, so I will see a moderate savings because of that. Instead of cranberry sauce, I will be making lingonberry sauce, which is done using a cranberry sauce recipe and substituting.

I am also making my own apple-almond stuffing, and it will be going into a chicken this year. I bought the chicken last week at $.99 a pound and tossed it in the freezer.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I always until until the week before Thanksgiving to shop for Thanksgiving dinner. We no longer eat turkey. If turkey was apart of the meal, I would have ordered my turkey.

4. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    We haven't even started shopping for Thanksgiving yet! We're most likely going a non-traditional route this year for Thanksgiving dinner, so I'm not feeling rushed to grab a turkey. There are a few staples we'll need to pick up, but I'm waiting until a little closer to the time- maybe a week before or so sounds like a reasonable shopping deadline to me. I don't stress too much over Thanksgiving, but usually for Yule we'll start the shopping and the meal planning and such much earlier and approach it in a more coordinated way.

5. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    Like Parker, I wait until a week or so before thanksgiving too. I don't have to shop for a huge dinner so going to the grocery store usually isn't a big deal aside from the crowds. If there's a deal on meat I'll pick something up ahead of time but that's about it. I tend to make the same dishes every year because my family is picky but I want to branch out this year. We should make an idea post!

6. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Well - we have a huge family and we have a huge spread as well: turkey, ham, venison sausages, venison shanks, duck breast, mashed potatoes w/ gravy, sweet peas, collard greens, corn on the cob, potato salad, mac and cheese, tons of dressing, yams, butter rolls, corn muffins, cranberry sauce, two pumpkin pies, two sweet potato pies, coconut cake, chocolate cake, and homemade vanilla ice cream.

We already have the venison and the duck because hunting... my family prefers farm raised turkey and ham, we don't grow crops, and we make everything the day of... so yeah. Careful shopping is important.