Have You Been Reminded Recently That You Are Not As Young....?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by jneanz • Sep 9, 2015.

1. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I know that we all get older and concurrently become better people (or at least that's the way it should be). Before my last relationship got serious, I used to go to poetry readings at coffee houses, bookstores or other calm spaces. It was a nice alternative to the club scene and I usually met some cool people there.

This past weekend, a poetry event was held near my home. I was surprised by the venue because it seemed rather large but I bought a ticket anyways. It was one of my worst mistakes this year.

There were too many people (about 500 and mostly women) in total and the space was crowded. A line to get a drink ticket. A line to get a drink. A line for food (I walked to the nearest Trader Joes because the alcohol was weak and overpriced). Two hours before the event starts.

So I get seated and the first act was okay but afterward it all went to poo-poo. Every "poet" was mostly cursing or delivering sexual content. Not rhyming, metaphorical or anything clever. When one guy got to the mike, he was so bad I wondered (with two drinks in my system, mind you) what the heck I was doing there. So I walked out.

Then I headed to the nearest club and was even more disappointed. It was dark and deserted but a once A-list actress, who in recent has done straight-to-DVD flicks and reality TV, reserved the club that night for a male stripper show. Boo!
    I don't know what made me more sad, not knowing where someone over 35 can have a good time in a big city like L.A. or seeing a celebrity that went from working with Quentin Tarantino to whatever mess that was.

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mean I've known for a long time I'm not really young. I know that under 30 is not supposed to be old but I'm old for myself you know what I mean?
    Anyway it becomes more apparent how out of place I am when I go to concerts. Mind you the artist would be within that demographic and you should expect that when they have a more sexual sound/image but still most of it is more in a classy kind of sexy to me and do they ever think to themselves how embarrassing they look? Seriously yelling at the musician to take his shirt off while he's singing? He's attractive to me too but this is not a damn (sry I know you don't like cursing) strip club! Nor is this a magazine cover spread. Also this did not happen at mine but it happened to a concert of his on the same week. They were singing along and all of a sudden these girls were punching each other. It got so bad that I was told the police came immediately.
    I don't understand women/girls I really don't.

3. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I know what you mean, I don't consider myself to be old but...? Is there a happy medium?

I don't mind profanity to make a point or tell a naughty joke but to just ramble in f-bombs and genitalia slang gets tired quick.
    When I went to concerts as a younger person, people were smart enough to get their money's worth before causing a brawl.:rolleyes:

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @jneanz@jneanz Ugh, that sounds really unpleasant. I don't like lines or crowds, so that wouldn't be my style at all. There used to be a local coffee shop that had live music on certain nights, and it was a nice pleasant place to have a coffee or tea and relax. There actually used to be several other coffee shops I would frequent, but they've shut down for various reasons. My only similar alternative right now would be Barnes and Noble, with Starbucks attached, but their coffee irritates my stomach.

I have no interest whatsoever in going to clubs. When I was a teenager and in my young 20's I got my fill of those, and the people in them. There is one organization I've heard of that you might check out, called Events and Adventures. I think they're nationwide, and they're a singles activity group, not a dating service. People sign up for activities and then meet and participate. It sounds like it could be a good place to meet like-minded people for friendship.

5. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I'm relatively young since I just got out of my teen years recently but I can feel that I'm really getting old in terms of how I see and perceive things around me. One thing is the music I listen to. I used to listen to really crude pop and rock songs when I was 13 but now that I'm on my 20's I started realizing how crappy they are and I wanted to kick myself for listening to them.

6. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks Diane, I will try Events and Adventures.

7. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Ahhhh... Sometimes while I sit alone lost back in my childhood memories. I feel like time is stopped for me and I was so happy then, I feel that I am big enough now to be matured. But not so old. All feelings divert from your heart, no one can realize you that your are getting old. Just try to be young and do whatever you want to do. This is the time, it flows and flows and flows continuously, will never come back again, but it will give you lots of happy and unhappy moments to memorize it later.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have kids.. I'm reminded every day that I'm not as young as I used to be lol. We seem to be into the same things for the most part (aside from the video games.. I lost that interest ages ago, although I love playing them with the boys), but when they start coming up with their own language and style and the music etc.. I start to see it even more. My oldest is a younger version of me, so it's not so apparent with him (especially with music.. exact same taste), but my youngest and I speak totally different languages haha.. it's a great learning experience though. Kids are amazing :)

9. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah i do agree with your JosieP! Through kidz your could relieve your childhood and could see your reflection in them, but it also realize you to that not much younger you are now.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The th
    The things that remind me of not being so young is the start of the stiffness I have in my joints. I really need to take a yoga class, and stop talking about it! It will be important for my continued good health. A poetry reading is a neat idea, I never thought of that!

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since I turned 29, my back aches quickly now whenever I sit in front of the pc, whereas before I can sit in the same position for 12 hours and I still don't feel tired or strained. I didn't know aging can be felt this soon!

12. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Ke, I've thought about yoga or Pilates in the past few years. Right now, I go to planet fitness 3 to 4 times a week. Back when Jack lalanne had franchise gyms, 45 minutes was nothing. As a teen, I could work out for almost 90 minutes. These days, it depends :D.

13. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    I wonder what's considered old anyways. I just turned 20 this year and I already feel old. And I've noticed some mature changes as well. When I was a couple of years younger, I wanted things like band tee shirts and electronics for Christmas. I just asked my mom for a coffee pot as a Christmas present this year.. If that doesn't tell you anything, I don't know what will. :p I've always been interested in poetry for a long time and I even write some. I never heard of poetry reading in my local area or I would've already been to one!

14. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Another thing that reminds me I'm not really young anymore is the fact I get tired easily. My digestive system is also not what it would used to be. As a kid I could eat pizza and ice cream as much as I wanted. I also developed plantar fasciitis so I have to be careful when dancing now and I have to wear footwear that supports my feet more often.
    This is part of what makes me so depressed.

15. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to be big into the gay club scene when I was in my early 20's, but these days I wouldn't even step foot in such a place. I loathe the childish music they play at such places now. It's all this cookie cutter bubble gum infantile crap. I can't deal with all the emaciated "twinks" with eating disorders constantly calling each other and everyone else "fat". I can't deal with the twenty somethings acting like people in their 30's or 40's are senior citizens now. And even worse, the folks who are in their 30's, 40's, and up, who linger around such clubs trying to act like they're still in their 20's - aka "peter pan syndrome". There's a whole "jail bait" vibe at them that I can't stand.

16. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Oh yeah all the time I get reminded that I'm not so young anymore. I shop at a supermarket that gives Senior Citizen discount on Thursday. I was shopping there on a Thursday and just checked out. I looked at my receipt and there it was my Senior Citizen discount. I go to McDonalds one morning and ordered a coffee and get the Senior discount coffee automatically. Oh yeah I get reminded I'm not so young all the time. I do enjoy the discount being a Senior Citizen. The irony is that when I was young I said to myself I can't wait to get the Senior Citizen discount. Now that I'm receiving Senior Citizen discounts I didn't know that I'd feel old.

17. mooray

moorayNew Member

Threads:
    Well, I am only 22 and right now I don't want to rush into anything serious. I just hope I am not close to that age where everything I used to enjoy becomes boring.

18. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I heard this same thing on a blog called Funky Dineva. I think the author is in their mid-30s and is experiencing something to what I'm going through. How funny. What the heck do you do when you're older and don't have a family but want to have fun without risking going to jail or being too drunk to think straight?:eek: