Have you been victim of a scam?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by miapass • Aug 16, 2012.

1. miapass

miapassNew Member

Threads:
    I always hear warnings from other people about online scams. I am anxious to see how many people have actually been targeted by on online scam. It has never happened to me or anyone I know. This may be because I trust very few people especially when it comes to my money. What mostly concerns me when it comes to the computer/internet is viruses from downloads. Has anyone been victim of a online scam? Do you know someone who has?

2. Pandorical

PandoricalActive Member

Threads:
    I am very happy to say that neither I or, to my knowledge, anyone that I know has been scammed.

3. Nakhash

NakhashMember

Threads:
    I'm a very suspicious person by nature. My family has often said I should have gone into law enforcement, FBI, CIA, something of that sort. So I've never been scammed online. I tend to err on the side of safety and have probably allowed a few good deals to get away rather than risk the problem of dealing with a hard to resolve mess.

4. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    It amazes me how many old scams are still being used successfully.

For those of you who have seen a movie called 'Matchstickmen' with Nicholas Cage, you know what I am talking about.

Some of the oldest tricks in the book are still successful, because they target people who just simply cannot think for themselves.

5. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    My mom was, she ordered a purse and a wallet from this website with a company based in China. And they were really cheap and they didn't send it and took her money. We contacted them and they didn't even know what she ordered. They said she ordered Puma shoes. We contacted PayPal and they finally got to the bottom of it and got her money back.

#5Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've once got one of those PayPal mail scams - it somehow slipped past my spam filter. It looked pretty convincing, with the mail address spoofed to look like it came from actual PayPal support. Too bad for them, and luckily for everybody else, they can't spoof the URL, so I didn't even click! :D

7. pippa01

pippa01New Member

Threads:
    If so what kind and if you lost money or property how much?

8. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I've been sent scam emails and continue to get them from various places, but they go straight to deleted anyway. I've never been scammed online but I know thousands do on a regular basis everyday. Just try and keep your wits about you when shopping or looking to download something and you'll be fine.

9. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I have not been a victim of online scam. All spam mails are sent straight to my trash folder. I enjoy shopping online, but I only shop from sites who I am familiar with and whose website security is updated.

10. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I've been scammed in a game that I played before but not in real life. I'm very alert when it comes to my finances and I don't easily trust anybody that offers me something in return for my money. I always seek the advice of my mom and I search on good ol' Google to check whether a site is a scam or not. Its better to be wary than to suffer in the end because its money that we're talking about here.

11. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    I have never been a victim of a scam, but it amazes me how many emails I get where someone is trying some of the oldest tricks in the book.

Just yesterday, someone emailed me saying that I had won a prize, and all I had to do was give them my bank account information, my passport number and my social security number. I guess they would not have been satisfied with the money from my bank account. They also wanted to commit ID theft.

12. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    Just once. But Amazon did me right.

I got excited and bought a full series of TV on DVD through an affliliated seller. The images on the online store were the same as the product being sold in stores. The price was very comparable to buying the product at a DVD store like Future Shop or Best Buy.

But when I got my DVDs they were a very bad knock off. The DVDs mostly worked, but I certainly did not get what I paid for.

The seller refused to talk with me claiming it was all a big mistake, that she had cancern, that her assistant must have scammed me, that she needed the money and as a good Christian I should let it go. Then she refused to answer my email.

But Amazon looked at pictures of the product I got and immediately refunded me the money. They didn't even make me ship the product back. They simply asked me to destroy it.

13. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    A couple of times for services purchased through ebay, and both times the sellers didn't deliver, nor reply to emails. Strangely, both times, the sellers had glowing feedback, which instilled confidence in me to go ahead and make the purchase. Those days, we could send messages to other buyers who have also purchased the same item. By contacting a few other buyers, I soon learned that we were all victims of a scam. It was a long claim process after that, but ebay+paypal finally refunded all our monies.

14. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I recently have been a victim of scam from a mini job site, it don't appear like they are scamming people but i feel like I am scammed since they gave me articles which are already published. I was trying to buy some articles from someone who somehow looks reputable in the business. So still there is no guarantee that reputable people won't do it, you just don't know when they would.

15. MeliciousMona

MeliciousMonaNew Member

Threads:
    I fell victim to a seller who claimed to be selling Uggs. There were images, papers and the box. All legit. But he apparently had the boxes, certification etc printed after purchasing the "Uggs" from China. This seems like a great length to go to but knowing the informed buyers of the north american market would require such certification, he did his homework. When his plastic boots arrived at my door, my heart broke. Me- A roobe. A maroon. How could this happen? Thankfully I had used Paypal and once they received my alert email, I was refunded my money. The seller was then shut down. But I know how easy it is to create a new seller id, he probably had many as it was. Scammers will always find a way:(

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I have been a victim of HYIP sites where the admin never bothered to pay me the money that I have invested. I even sent several support tickets. That happened many times already for me, and I just decided to quit investing in HYIP to avoid it from happening again.