Have You Bought A Memory Card On Ebay Or On Any Online Stores? Were They Legit Or Fake?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by sidney • Jan 7, 2013.

1. Greatdealgina

GreatdealginaNew Member

Threads:
    I have found that Tiger direct has about the best prices for REAL stuff. I have found stuff on Ebay cheaper but much of what's on there is fake. Like "real rolex gold watches for $199. Yeah right!

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have tried to check out Tiger Direct before, and they don't ship to my country, so I am pretty much left with limited choices on where to shop.

3. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    If you don't mind me asking, what country do you live in?

4. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    Seems newegg, amazon or tigerdirect don't ship to your country. Then have no ideas what to recommend.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm from the Philippines, so I'm stuck with Ebay and Amazon. I just verified my Paypal, but I haven't used my debit card for online purchases yet. But I think international shipping in Amazon is quite expensive.

6. jarsen

jarsenNew Member

Threads:
    Hello All. I am new to this forum having just come across it today. Comments re: legit SD cards are also a concern for us as well. We have been trying for a long time to source these cards and have pretty much given up on China as a suitable source due to fakes etc. Cannot trust them. Anyway we have recently secured accounts with several of Australia's licensed distributors for Sandisk, Samsung and other legally branded SD Cards as well as other products. If anyone would like to purchase our cards, please visit our eBay store which we recently commenced selling Trend Micro software. We can ship to most countries and at this stage i do not see any issues with this. I can assure all of you that our SD Cards are original and legitimate with 100% Australian warranty. Although they are more expensive that what you might find elsewhere on eBay, our prices are only a little bit above what we pay to make it all worthwhile. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me either on this forum or by email. Thank you.

7. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have bought memory cards and USB plug-ins and they have all worked fine. That's not to say that I have never had a disappointing Ebay experience however. I think the key is to check your product as soon as it arrives and then always deal with the seller through the Ebay system of communication so that all emails are documented in their system. If there is a discrepancy that cannot be resolved then they will help. It is also important to read the fine print. I never buy from a seller who sells 'As Is' or who does not accept refunds. There have been very few things I have refunded though but the few things that weren't quality were refunded in such a prompt manner, it did not put me off from buying again.

8. tzbt827

tzbt827Member

Threads:
    I've purchased a 16GB USB Drive before on Amazon, it was great quality and was a legitimate product. Although i've heard that purchasing electronics from eBay is a bad idea as there are plenty of scammers on there who sell fake products.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually have come to easily distinguish now the fake Sony M2 memory cards from the genuine ones. Their packaging is different. However, the Sandisk Micro SD cards I still don't know yet how tell if they're fake or not. I guess the price is the tell tale sign if it's significantly lower than the genuine one.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Buying things on eBay isn't that risky. eBay has the Buyer Protection program, so if you get a fake item, just open an Item Not As Described case and you'll get your money back pretty quickly.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess so. I think the only problem that will only arise from that is if the package did not arrive at the time specified by Paypal where you can still make a complaint. I had a package arrive 3 months after I bought it, so the seller resent another one even before the 1st one arrived, so I got 2 cellphone batteries because of the super slow shipping.

12. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    I would also recommend the OP checks the seller feedbacks before buying ANYTHING from eBay, and have some common sense with them. Any items that are sold for prices much lower than similar items, as a Buy It Now, should be questioned. With eBay nowadays, I find that the most you can save is probably £2-3 with a memory card compared to other online stores, so if you see for example a SD card that costs around £15 in retail or online retailers, and if they are £13 in eBay, thats probably legit, but if the same item is listed for £4-5, then you should expect something fishy is going on, and keep well away from that item.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ah yes, you got a point, although some sellers who also sell fake memory cards price their item the same with the legit ones. So you also have to know the difference in packaging, I guess. The generic ones, well we expect them to be priced low all the time.

14. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I bought one before. Fortunately, it was legit. I bought from a local online store called lazada.com. I also bought a monopod and camera from this site, and I can say that everything went smoothly. I paid via credit card, too. I wouldn't really trust Ebay because some of the people there can be scammers. In suggest that you just buy one from another sites because there are many cases of fake things being sold on Ebay.

15. oolong

oolongNew Member

Threads:
    The only online I dealers I trust for electronics are newegg and amazon (and bestbuy).

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have read of some complaints about Lazada, like this one:

So based from that article and the comments, I will only try buying sealed and cheap items, and to be safe, I will use Paypal.

#36Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014