Have You Considered Donating Your Body To Science?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Zyni • Sep 21, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know some people have very strong feelings about death and burial and funerals, and that's fine. I just have my own ideas about it. Not only could donating my body to science prove helpful for research, but I could also help my family and loved ones save money (not to mention anxiety) on funeral arrangements.

Have you considered it?

I'm am seriously thinking about it. I don't want my loved ones to go into debt when I die. Buy me nice things now while I'm alive to enjoy it, if you want to buy me stuff. Don't spend a ton of money on flowers either. Just have me shipped off, so I can maybe still do some good, and then have a nice, little, memorial service.

What say you?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sure, I can consider that. In fact, I really don't care at all what happens to my body after I die. I don't care if they will just throw my body out there or my immediate relatives (who I am not in good terms with) will even bother to give me a decent burial or cremation. So donating my body to science is something that is quite ok with me.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a moral question because in some religion, the human body is sacred. I have not done it yet but I am willing to donate any part of my body when I die to medical science or even to help other people. Maybe that desire to help can bring my spirit to heaven. My will and testament is to have my body cremated. In fact, we already have purchased a columbarium where the ashes will be stored.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not something I have thought about, and while I think organ donation is a good idea, I'm not sure about my body being used for other things. Do they still want and need bodies, or perhaps specific ones with illnesses to test on? If that was the case yes, such as cancer or a rare illness because that could help others, but not otherwise.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I've not thought about it either and doubt very much I'd ever want to willingly do it. Well, unless my situation got seriously desperate. After all, desperate situations call for desperate measures. So I can never really say never, but it wouldn't be the first thing I think of. Being a guinea pig means anything can go seriously wrong, so that makes me more than a little wary. I've seen so many horror stories in the papers, I wouldn't want to be a statistic!
    No, I've not thought about it either and doubt very much I'd ever want to willingly do it. Well, unless my situation got seriously desperate. After all, desperate situations call for desperate measures. So I can never really say never, but it wouldn't be the first thing I think of. Being a guinea pig means anything can go seriously wrong, so that makes me more than a little wary. I've seen so many horror stories in the papers, I wouldn't want to be a statistic!

6. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    I've considered it but I'm not a good body to learn off of since i'm overweight. My organs probably can't be salvaged even if I do lose weight. But I get the sentiment of not wanting people to spend a lot of money on your corpse. I'm the same way, I just want to be cremated and dumped in the ocean.

7. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Even if it's my will to donate my body to science, my relatives will have the last word in regards of this issue, for me it wouldn't matter anything anymore, since I'm gonna be dead.

8. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    No. But I consider in donating my blood and my organs to people who need it. At least they can still use it and it would make me feel better because it will help other people. Unlike if it will be just donated in a laboratory and they'll make a lab rat out of my body, I wouldn't want that.

9. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I don't care. I would donate my body. Why would I want it to just rot and do nothing but use up space? If it's used for a great cause and my remains can change the world even after death, that is great.