Have you considered going electric?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by delusional • Mar 18, 2014.

1. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    Since the release of the Tesla Model S, I have been thinking about buying an electric car. The Model S is a bit more expensive than what I normally buy but it could save me a lot of money in the long run (around 5k every year) so maybe it's worth it.

Have you considered buying an electric car?

2. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    The only problem with having an electric car is the practicability and the miles it can take. Most of these cars cover low mileage and still take hours just to recharge their batteries. This is what make people not like the electric cars. It is better to buy a hybrid car. It has both the electric motors and also a petrol engine.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I'd love owning an electric car but right now they are too damn expensive. Last I heard Tesla has a cheaper, more affordable model in the works, I'm curios how that'll work out. Also, here where I live there are no recharge stations since electric cars are almost unheard of, so that's a big inconvenience. I'm positive that the future of electric cars is a bright one but they still have plenty of issues to overcome, like infrastructure or the oil industry.

4. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never considered buying an electric car. They're not yet popular here in my place and I've heard that they cost a fortune. As a previous poster has said, these cars take hours to charge and could only travel short distances on one single charge. Unless the manufacturer improve the mileage of electric cars, I won't be interested in them.

As for electric motorcycles? They're becoming a lot more popular here. They're cheap and they don't need to be registered (as of the moment).

5. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really think buying a fully electric car is an option yet, but hybrid cars are already at a great place. They still cost quite a lot more than normal cars, but in the long run they pay off. Hybrid cars also don't have the downside of electric cars with their low range since they just use the normal motor in case you need to go further and for small trips they just use the electric motor which saves a lot of energy and money. Another great profit of electric/hybrid cars is saving the environment. I honestly think in a few years there won't be any normal cars left and we will all use electric cars.

6. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    Have considered getting an electronic car before. I think that it will be a very interesting thing to have. I would love to have major savings on my petrol bill. But I'm not sure how this would affect my electricity bill. The other thing is I think that electric cars are very expensive to buy. Another challenge that I do have with electronic cars is that if you travel a long distance how likely is it that you might run out of electricity and in the events that it happens what can you do to get out of that situation. Apart from that I think the idea is great.

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Even if electric cars become a proven way to save money, the cost to the environment isn't any better - unless, of course, the source of the power is solar. Note, that if the source isn't solar, then it's probably coming from some fossil fuel plant that uses coal or some nuclear one. Anyway, a big problem, as someone has noted on the thread, is they aren't practical machines power wise.

8. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We are for environment. In fact, we have been doing a continuous research on the practicality of solar power. With the electric car, it’s wonderful to imagine that all cars will be electric which is zero pollution. However, there are no electric cars here yet and if there is, I’m sure it is expensive. Another concern for electric cars is the charging station and the amount of time for charging which is overnight. Maybe electric cars will be in fashion within 5 years. And if that happens, that’s the time I will buy one.

9. vaish

vaishNew Member

Threads:
    many a times taking into consideration the environment but the other thing that concerns me is , whether the electric vehicles will deliver the same kind of feel and satisfaction as we use now.

I am not whining about electric vehicles. When we ought to look at the big picture and think holistically, I would always prefer Electric.

10. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    At the beginning when I heard about the electric cars I was very excited, thinking that an electric car will not pollute the air, will not use gasoline anymore it really made me consider the situation in which I buy such a car.
    But all the thrill and desire ended when I heard the price of such a car. It is too expensive for me now, in fact, an electric car cost more than my house!
    I will buy one in the next years when its price will be lower!

11. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Electric cars are grossly overpriced, in my opinion. They may be good for the environment but what good are they if only a few people can afford to buy them? At this point, it's not in my agenda at all. But I do know that some quarters are lobbying for the use of electric public utility vehicles in my country. The way I see it though, If I were to invest on this type of vehicle, it would take more than 10 years to recoup my investment. Now, If I were to take out a loan to buy one, ROI point would have reached 20 years due to the interest. I'd rather take out a loan to build a row of apartments!

12. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think that I am currently ready to cope with having an electric car. Firstly, the current models are mainly very small units and there may be a problem with these if probably they would have to contend with a flood or other adverse conditions. I think it would be better to sit it out until later times when they would probably have been some amount of improvement to their stature and capabilities.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When the electric car first came out I really wanted to get one. But now I bus only. I like electric cars for they save the environment and no gasoline fumes. But mikelouis says a lot about only an electric car, thus I think I'd better research it more before we commit to getting just one kind of car.

14. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I think about it all the time, especaially when driving. I know that I do not really have the means to make the switch, but when they become cheaper I think that I will be right there.

15. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I would buy an electric car for the sake of reducing the environmental pollution. With the evolving technology, we will get cars which will give good mileage and long run when the battery is recharged. I have been reading some news about Tesla and hope it will be good and affordable for everyone who wants to buy it.

16. Paige J

Paige JNew Member

Threads:
    I have been a skeptic regarding electric vehicles for some time now, but I have been reading up on Tesla's new Model 3 and it seems to be easing concerns over the high prices and typically low range of other EV's on the market. One study by Autolist even shows that it has the lowest depreciation rate of other cars in its class, including gas powered engines:

This could be something to consider when investing in an EV. It may cost more initially, but the value will stay higher than most other cars in the long run. Either way I'll be sticking to public transit for now, but this is definitely something worth noting for future :)

17. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I have often thought about going electric, however, I am yet to buy my first electric car or an electric motor bike. The fault line lies in the government policy. We have to pay high custom duty or high taxes for electric vehicles. Electric vehicles cost as much as regular automobiles. However, performance wise, electric vehicles are not as good as petrol engines. And then there is also high maintenance cost.

18. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    The prices of these electric vehicles are effected directly with the high cost of the batteries though-so makers of these cars are investing more into research and development of battery technology. I think as the prices of these cars keep dropping, the electric car will become cheaper than a gas car by the year 2022 some experts say and the batteries will be larger as well.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have considered buying an electric car but contrary to normal belief it's costlier in the end. Besides being expensive there are other problems which keeps me from buying an electric car is it has limited distance to cover in one charge and then it takes a long time to recharge it. Just think about the cost of replacement car batteries that one will have to buy after 300 recharges which is after one year in normal course.

20. Vinicius Souza

Vinicius SouzaMember

Threads:
    I strongly consider to buy an electric car. However, nowadays, an electric car is so expensive. There is a cheap alternative which is Toyota Prius, a hybrid model of car which uses two engines, a gasoline and an electric in different situations.

I really expect cars cheaper in the future.