Have you considered making your laptop touchscreen?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by 003 • Jun 16, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I am actually planning to have my laptop be touchscreen. (It's possible for those who don't know yet if it were.) All one would be needing is a device that could be bought in the computer shop. You may also have it installed by them if you don't know how. But anyway, I am using Windows 8, and the reason that I want my laptop to be touchscreen is I think Windows 8 works best in an environment where the device is touchscreen.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've gotten to play around with a Windows 8 touch screen laptop, and I agree that it is probably best to just get one if you are set on using Windows 8, but I personally don't really like having a touchscreen laptop all that much. My reason is I'm already very used to the touch pad - enough to be able to do a good amount of other more advanced actions like designing solely with the use of the touch pad, so I don't really feel the need to add more to that. Also, I dislike needing to raise my arm and reach the screen and I find it way more convenient to just switch between the keyboard and touch pad instead which can be used interchangeably with just a slight movement of the wrists.

3. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    Since my phone is touchscreen and I also use it for working, I'd like to keep my laptop the way it is. I type faster on my laptop when I'm working because I'm used to it after a few years of using a laptop.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nah, I'd also like to just keep my laptop as it is, I dislike typing on touch screen devices, so typing on a keyboard is a must for me. I think that typing using a touch screen is very time consuming. Touch screen devices are suitable for reading and browsing only.

5. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know. So far, I just enjoy a touch screen smart phone and tablet. I may change soon too.

To me, touch screen is so MUCH easier, just pricy. I have to wait for the right deal to come along and then I'll jump on it.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No. I don't want my laptop to have a touchscreen. A year from now I could change my mind. I still have Windows XP on my laptop. I will be upgrading to Windows 7. No touchscreen will be needed.

7. devilishomar

devilishomarMember

Threads:
    It's true, Windows 8 was intended to be targeted to shift the mouse & keyboard era to the touch screen era, but I still prefer my laptop since it's much faster and more comfortable to do work that requires a lot of typing & clicking.

I have tried to increase my touch screen typing speed, but it does not seem to be getting any better so I'm sticking with my mouse & keyboard laptop.

8. Broadleaf

BroadleafMember

Threads:
    I think the mouse and keyboard are here to stay. Although the majority of people prefer touch screen mobile devices, I think we are not ready as a society to switch to touch screen, and for that I am grateful. As a side note, virtual reality devices would be essentially useless if touch screen computers were to take majority, which would be sad and a waste of great, developing technology.

9. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    I considered it...last year I believe, but I was going to use an old laptop to make a touchscreen thing for the kitchen so we could control music and things at the touch of a button, while having whole computer behind it to do anything we wanted.

10. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I always have a negative view towards touchscreen devices as I feel that they are not more efficient than a mouse. I think that it's harder for me to touch a screen and get the results that I want as opposed to use a mouse that will follow my commands with much more precision. So my general rule of thumb is if I want a performance machine I would go for one that is not touchscreen and has a mouse and the normal general accessories but if I need something that is more pleasure or entertainment a touchscreen device will do. So for my personal laptop that I use at home for movies and Facebook and typing documents I will get a touchscreen but for work and other important projects my laptop would not be a touchscreen device

11. soulite

souliteNew Member

Threads:
    I honestly hate touchscreen laptops. They're nice for when you want to click something really fast while also typing, but any other touchscreen functions aren't really appealing to me. The only time I would actually get a touchscreen laptop is if the laptop could become a tablet/was a tablet.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't mind having a touchscreen laptop if someone gave it to me as a gift. Otherwise since I don't like touchscreen phones having used one and didn't like it [I'm that old school] I don't think my attitude towards touchscreen devices will change any time soon. So for me, nah, I'll not get myself a touchscreen laptop.

13. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Nope. And I'm not planning to either. I don't really see the point of having a touchscreen laptop, I won't mind it if someone gave it to me but if I were to buy one, well no. These touch screen laptops are expensive and I don't really find the touchscreen very useful at all, sure its fun to just swipe and prod at the icons on your desktop but when it comes to actual work, you'll find yourself using the mouse and keyboard more often than not.

14. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't even though this was possible. Assuming that a laptop isn't touch screen to begin with, how on earth would you go about doing it in the first place? Does anyone have any decent tutorials or advice on how to start off on this sort of thing, because that seems like quite the fun little activity to try and do, you know?

15. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I could never have a laptop that was completely touch screen. I can type out comments and posts so much faster on a full keyboard. When I'm in the zone of work, I don't like to fuss around with a touch screen. I do like the touch screen computers (or maybe its just a big tablet) that can go in between. Use as a touchscreen but then plug into a keyboard as needed. Then again, I already have a cell phone and tablet that get their jobs done just fine. Next time I get a new computer (which is hopefully soon), it will most likely still be a full-on laptop. I would hate to think that even laptops are a thing of the past. They definitely have their advantages.