Have you ever accidentaly walked out of a store with something unpaid for?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by clauemi • Jul 6, 2012.

1. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    I did it in my local mini-market - I am a devil for not grabbing a basket, thinking I only need 2/3 items. Inevitably, I end up buying more, which means juggling X amount of items in my hands/arms. This one time, I returned home and emptied my shopping out of the carrier bag - only for a tin of tuna to drop out from under my arm, where I had safely tucked it so I could carry more! I was mortified that I had shoplifted even if it was unintentional! I ALWAYS get a basket now! :/

2. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Your baby had made skills, either that or you were totally exhausted. I personally perfer the mad skills, because its just funny to imagine your kid with Mission Impossible music sneakily appropriating items and giggling madly because its a game.

3. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Does that mean you never returned the film? Ah, well you paid extra so that should be okay. Any reason you were tipsy?

4. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I went to kohls on black friday this past year and bought a ton of clothes for cheap. I got to the car and was looking at my receipt and realized that they didnt' charge me for 3 of the shirts I had. IT was like a $30 difference. So I went back into kohls (granted it's 4am) and tried to go straight to customer service to fix the issue. The lady told me I had to go to the back of the line. I waited in line for another 20 minutes to return the clothes and when I did they just thanked me for coming in and rang up the extra shirts. So I paid fo rhtem because I wanted them but I was a little annoyed that i went out of my way to be honest and got nothing in return. They could have given me like a 10% off coupon or something. Kohls gives those out like candy anyways.

5. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, when I go grocery shopping, I usually shop with a basket and I used to have a bag with me because I wouldn't be able to carry cereals, cartons, etc. One day, I purchased cream cheese and cheese and I forgot they were in my tote bag. I left and I got home and realized I had gotten it without paying for it.

I wonder what would happen if you leave the store without paying something. If you go back to the clerk, they will think you were stealing it and your conscience got the better of you and then throw you in prison for life!

6. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    LOL, I did, but when I was a lot younger. I sneaked some candy in my jacket while my mom was shopping. I was a little devil... they didn't even realize!

The perfect crime :p

7. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I have experienced this once and that was just a week ago. I went on a department store because my highlighter oen ran our of ink so I need to buy a new one. I was in a hurry plus the fact that I was talking to a friend over the phone that I directly walked out of the store then the sensor light up and I realized that I haven't paid yet. Good thing that there are just few people on that Saturday morning.

8. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    It's called, forgetting to pay - that's what it is. Stealing is when you have the intention of walking into a shop, taking something and not paying for it. The stories in this thread - to me, anyway - clearly sounds like everyone had forgotten to pay, unintentionally.

9. YorkshireLass

YorkshireLassMember

Threads:
    I have done it when I was a kid, I picked up 2 newspapers instead of 1. I was so embarassed I couldn't go back in and admit it, it was a really busy day and I was very shy. I felt incredibly guilty though! It happened again as an adult and of course I returned it.

My Grandma is always very honest when mistakes are made in shops etc, if they have over-charged her she queries it like most people would, but if she is under-charged she always goes back in to give them the extra, even if it is just a penny! When she grew up a penny made a huge difference, and she still views it as that, but younger shop assistants always say that there is no point worrying over a penny, it makes you realise how people have changed their attitude to money.

10. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    I have never done anything like that but I have always been paranoid that I would. I have paid for all my stuff and still had the alarm go off for some reason or another though. I just kept walking, no one came after me so I guess they don't really care when the alarm goes off. Ha.

11. QuatreHiead

QuatreHieadMember

Threads:
    I've had a friend do this one day at Wal-mart on a particularly crowded day. I think they said their cashier was also quite flustered, possibly because it was a new day. Not to mention the price for one of their items rang up wrong. But evidently the cashier had forgotten to get the DVD player somehow, or maybe it was at the bottom of the cart. I doubt that because the greeters are still good at picking up on that. Any way they walked away with a free DVD player, albeit cheap. I bet it only cost Wal-mart $5 or so from China, so I doubt they really cared. Still was a pretty funny story. By the time the cute couple realized they were already home and far from the Wal-mart, so it seemed rather silly to even bother with it. I think it was only supposed to be $15-$20 anyway.

12. Tinee

TineeMember

Threads:
    I was in high school and going through a bad breakup, so I went to a grocery store and decided to buy pretzels. I was thinking deeply so I totally forgot about the bag of pretzels I had in my hand. Good thing the store clerk reminded me to pay for it before I was about to get out of the place. :D

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a friend that does this by *accident* all the time, lol. We'll get home from a store and he'll empty out his pockets with like 4 magazines, 2 bean burittos, candy bars, batteries, etc... I've not done this, but a few times I have walked out of department stores with merchandise I purchased that still had the ink security tags on it, and they never went off. Kind of embarrassing having to go back into the store and ask them to take it off because they're obviously second guessing everything you're saying to them.

14. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I did this the other day. I was at the Goodwill and I walked out with a playstation remote control. I paid for everything else but that since I forgot that I was holding onto it. I didn't realize what I did until I was out the door and almost to my car. I actually ran back into the place, found the guy who rang up my purchase and gave him the money for the controller.

15. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I had an experience like that when I was a child. I remember that I left the supermarket with a couple of small batteries that my dad had given me to take them to the cash machine, but I forgot them. The alarm of the security machine started to ringing, and my face turned red from embarrassment. When I realized that was what had happened, I began to cry like a little child. I caused tender emotions in the the rest of the people , but that was a moment I never forget.

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had an item in my hands as I walked around the store, forgot I had it in my hands and started for the door but realized I had mot paid for the item just before I walked out the door. I am sure it happens often unintentionally.

17. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    We almost did when the kids were younger. I didn't have it in my hands, I noticed my youngest had something in her hands as we were getting ready to walk out the door. I was pretty darn sure that never made it to the register but she had already opened it. I turned around and apologized as I was paying for it. She was young and had no concept that it had to be paid for!

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It happened to me at IKEA once. I bought some plastic storage containers with lids and I didn't realize until I got home that the lids had a separate barcode and were meant to be sold separately. I have no idea why a store would charge you $3.99 for a container and them $0.99 for the lid separately.
    I paid for the containers, but I didn't know I was supposed to pay for lids.

I assume the lids are sold separately in case you have to replace a cracked lid. Otherwise that system is stupid. I had 4 lids which totaled $3.96 in all and IKEA is so far away that I can't justify the gas to bring the lids back, so I have a black mark on my karma.

19. sinuous

sinuousNew Member

Threads:
    I'm thankful that I've never done anything like that! I would be extremely embarrassed, and would never go back to that store again. I'm sure if I walked out of the store with something unpaid, as soon as I found it, I would go back and pay for it.

20. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I actually did this last year sometime. I was about to go out of town and wanted some fruit to eat while traveling. I went into the store and picked up a pack of watermelon slices and was just singing away. The next thing I knew, I was out in the parking lot with the watermelon without having paid for it. I was soooooo embarrassed. I quickly went back into the store and paid for it. Whew! That was a close call. All I could think about was how I could have been in jail.