Have you ever bought a car online?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by dieselfit • Dec 14, 2013.

1. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    I've never bought a car yet but I do see a lot of automobiles that are being sold online. Sites usually have classifieds for cars that are on sale. It's strange because I've found car listings on eBay and apparently they ship the cars or sell it to you if you're in the area. Does anyone have any experience with this? I think there are tons of good deals when searching for the cars online vs going to the dealers.

2. Treadlight

TreadlightMember

Threads:
    The only way I would do that is for a classic type car that would be for show only. That, and the seller would have to have a perfect customer service rating through at least 5 years, 100 sales or whatever came first. Buying a car means putting out a lot of money, so I will use every safeguard there is to make sure I don't lose that money.

3. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I'll ever want to take that risk. There's too much money at stake. Maybe like the above said, if it's some kind of vintage car that can't be found anywhere else I might consider it. Even that I'll have to make sure that the seller is reliable and can be trusted.

4. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I won't take the risk. I'd rather meet the seller just to see which company he is connected. If he is in a reputable company like the rest of the japanese car manufacturer, I'd be assured. thats the time I'd going to close deals.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So far I haven't and don't suppose I will unless the seller is someone I know personally or. . .

If I can take a look at the car before making the purchase then I'd give it a shot but if you only have to fork out the money and hope for the best. . .
    buying cars online is the last thing I'd do.

6. wwalford

wwalfordNew Member

Threads:
    Not a chance. Is the car inspected . How do you know the car is to stole ? The only car i would buy online is the kit are where you buy it and make it yourself and you put an engine in it ect. Other than that no I want to make sure the car is neat and clean . How easy would it be to hide accident damage on a car !

7. himalipatel

himalipatelMember

Threads:
    No I have not ever bought a car online

8. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I have never purchase a car online but I have looked them up and went and looked at them. In my area we have an eBay auction drop off yard that allows those that order automobiles offline to give that place as a drop off and pick up. I have seen several automobiles coming in to this yard but I never really stop to ask them how they work. But they have some fine cars that come weekly.

9. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    I've never bought a car online and I don't think I would ever really consider it. An endless amount of things can be wrong with a car which you can't identify by seeing pictures or even seeing the car in the flesh. Any car you buy should always be from a garage and should always have some kind of guarantee to it, and ideally should have been inspected and passed a safety or MOT test before you buy it.

10. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I would never buy a car online because I haven't tested the car, plus I don't know if I really do trust the deal or the online deal even though the car is brand new. I want to test drive the car to see how it runs and whether or not I make my decide to buy it. Another issue would be the payment, which I don't know how does the payment system works if I buy a car online. I would rather go to the deal to buy a car instead.

11. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I have never purchased a car online and would advise against it for a newbie.

Your best bet is to look for a vehicle with someone who is experienced (an older person) who has knowledge in this area.

For me, the current car I own was purchased new at a dealership.

The reason I went this route is because I didn't want to inherit another person's problems through a used vehicle.

Also, I wanted to treat myself.

12. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never brought a car online I don't think I ever would because of the chance of being scammed or what not, plus you can't tell whats wrong with a car from pictures and these days there aren't many honest people. So I don't think I would want to take those chances especially with a car.

13. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to strongly agree with you. The seller must have a strong reputation otherwise, the risk would be way too large. And of course there's no way I would make any transaction unless I knew I was protected with one way or another. But that being said, I would only buy from those who have feedback. The investigation on the seller would really have to be thorough or the risk would be way too large!

14. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have bought a car online via eBay Motors. I searched for cars that were being auctioned in my area and my hometown. The car was being auctioned off by a car dealership on behalf of an elderly woman. I got a great deal on the car even though someone was bidding against me near the end of the auction.

Since the seller was local, I paid for the car in person instead of Paypal. The car was a late 90's Acura Legend. The car was beautifully maintained. I would definitely buy again from eBay Motors.

15. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Ok, Today My cousin had a car delivered for which he purchased from eBay as a Christmas gift for his daughter as a gift, Well it arrived and it so nice they took their time taking it down off of the delivery truck. My cousin inspected it sign the paper and we were on our way , just as describe. So yes I think I would give it a shot. and let you guys know the outcome.

16. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    Whoa that's awesome! I didn't see your post until now. Please do let us know what happens. I'm surprised that someone's actually been through it. I'm sure you guys were sure about the purchase due to the reputation of the seller otherwise it would have been obviously a bad choice and a huge risk. But do let us know, thank you for your story!

17. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I have bought a car online before and it was a really pleasant experience. It was pretty much everything i was expected. The paint was not as great as it was shown in the pictures, but it was not a dramatic difference. The car is still with me today and I have not really had any problems with it really.

18. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    I can see how the paint was easily missed. Pictures can be a little inaccurate so when it comes to the visuals, it can really depend on so many factors on how accurate the picture is. But for the description, they should be all factual. I'm not surprised that the car came in as it was described. Things that are bought online are usually hit or miss but it can be easily hit if a few things are checked before going in for the buying. Obviously the reputation of the seller must be high and satisfactory. If it's not, it might be too risky. But still I'm glad you got the car in perfect condition.

19. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    I have never purchased a car online but my little cousin did. He got one off of Craigslist and it's a really nice car. He didn't have far to go to get it, maybe like a hour drive. I'm just too cautious to even take a chance with anything like that.

20. crucider

cruciderNew Member

Threads:
    Nope, but I will check out a vehicle online but I won't send money online through something like PayPal and have to pick it up or get it delivered to me. Which is silly since you aren't able to inspect it in person and check parts of the car, so buying cars online is pretty silly in my opinion.