Have you ever bought a gift for someone and kept it for yourself?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by True2marie • Aug 26, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Every once in a while, I buy a great gift for a friend or family member that's just too good to give away. Then, after much deliberation, I keep it. Of course, this selfish act always remains my dirty little secret. I always buy another gift and pass this item on as if it were the original.

2. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Not really intentionally. One year I had bought my uncles girlfriend a blanket with penguins all over it (because she loved penguins) and she never showed up to celebrate Christmas with us and I had forgotten about it until a few months ago when I came across it, and now I guess I have a nice blanket for myself.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, sort of. This year my husband had found a stone necklace he liked for his mother. It was really pretty but on a plain rope. Then he found a seller of semi-precious stones and bought her an opal and had a silver pendant made. So we gave her that one and I kept the stone necklace. I feel kind of guilty wearing it though. WE told the seller it was for his mother and now I'm afraid I'll be walking around town with it on and the seller will see me and think, 'that girl stole her mother in laws necklace!' My husband said he didn't care if I kept it but still, every time I see it I think it was meant for her. Maybe she'll still get it one day for an anniversary or something.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am guilty as charged. I have bought t-shirts and sweaters for my brother and then kept them for myself. I did let him borrow a sweater, but never told him I had actually bought it for him. I used to buy my mother face creams, then I would have an argument with her and keep the gifts and use them. Sometimes I have bought gifts, then feel I was too generous and buy a cheaper gift instead. I don't buy gifts much now,I rather just pay for dinner.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have done it a couple times.

Actually, there have been a few times where I've gone back and bought a second version of the exact same item, so that I don't feel guilty keeping the original one, lol.

6. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Haha I used to do it all the time I am glad to hear I'm not alone. I don't do it anymore, but that's only because now if I am buying something for a friend or family member that I think I may like I just buy one for myself as well. This makes gift shopping very fun but dangerous around the winter holidays when I am buying for quite a few people.

7. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes when I buy presents in advance I put them someplace in my closet and forget about them. By the time I recover them, the friend's birthday that I purchased the gift for has already passed and I had already bought another present. Oops! It's an innocent mistake. However... there are times where I do keep the present intentionally because I grow a fondness for it. Hehe!

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, it has happened from time to time, but mainly because I suddenly found the gift very useful. I don't feel bad about these things, I have a pragmatic attitude to life. I simply replace the gift or get them something different. Once I got one of my friends a special set of organic shampoo and conditioner, but then visitors came from overseas and we just ran out of shampoo, so I used the one that I had already wrapped up for my friend. The bonus was that my visitors really loved the exclusive hair products and thought that I was a wonderful host. :)

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    It has happened quite a lot of time to me. I am not sure why exactly, but I suddenly change my mood and decide to keep the gift for myself. Sometimes, I feel that the gift is not upright for the occasion, hence, decide to change it. And I have this bad habit that once I decide upon something I cannot change my decision. Sometimes, I find the gift more useful than others, hence, decide to keep it.

10. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I have definitely done this :D I buy it with good intentions but end up keeping in. On a few occasions I find a gift I like more and buy it ... and keep the original one. I try stay away from this practice as it hurts my wallet, lol. Most of the time I do give the person the gift I intended. I like to think of thoughtful gifts that apply only to them.

11. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I did this a few times but not on purpose, it simply happened that I was unable to deliver the gift so I got stuck with it. Most times I buy gifts tailored for the needs of a person so keeping them myself serves no purpose. I once got stuck with an extension cord that I bought for a friend - weird gift but hey, it was useful for him. I had plenty of those myself so I would've preferred to gift it as intended.