Have You Ever Bought A Second Hand Laptop?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Haroon Rasheed • Aug 31, 2017.

1. Haroon Rasheed

Haroon RasheedMember

Threads:
    I love to use cell-phone and Laptops of different kinds.For this purpose, I have bought cell-phones of different companies.Nowadays, I am moving towards laptop because I have to do a lot of work related to laptops.I have recently bought a second hand laptop of HP just in $220 from market.It was a nicer one and it is working properly just like as any new laptop.I prepare some of my tasks using the big screen of laptop than cell-phone.I feel more comfortable when I do my many works on the big screen of laptop.
    Do you ever buy a second hand laptop?

2. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I have actually bought second hand laptop once. It cost me #70,000 Naira when I bought it. The laptop looks cool when I got but what I failed to understand was that it was repackaged and the product wasn't even 80% stable.

I used the laptop for just 4 months and the hinges broke and some of the keyboard got stiffed and stopped working. I got so pissed because it would require extra #30,000 Naira for me to get a brand new one. I had to used close to #10,000 to repair the hinges and the keyboard.

So therefore, personally I wouldn't be advising anyone to buy second hand laptop or any other electronic gadgets. It's best to save up more and buy a brand new products.

3. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have never bought a second hand laptop or other type of computer. I am kind of afraid to spend that much money on something that is used since I don't know what kind of condition it is in and how much life is left in it. You don't know how well it has been taken care of and I would rather save up the money to purchase a new one instead.

4. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never bought a second-hand laptop, mainly because I don't like laptops, and I always use my iPad Pro which has a keyboard, and is about the same size as a laptop.
    However, I have purchased several used Kindle Fires and one Kindle e-reader, and I was very pleased with all of those. I am now looking on ebay for a good used iPad Mini that I can use when I do not want something quite as large as the iPad Pro, which is almost 13". The iPad Mini is only about 8", so nearly the same size as my Kindle is; but I can use all of the apps that I have on my iPad and iPhone with the Mini, and I can't put the Apple apps on the Kindle; so I only use that for reading.

5. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I have bought two or three of my previous laptops that were preowned. Two of them had issues so I had no choice but to sell them for a cheaper price but the other one served me quite well before I decided to sell it. It's way cheaper to buy second hand laptops and phones as well, but you need to have a sharp eye for damages.

6. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I have bought many smartphones and laptops for the past 8 years as I am in a buy and sell business. Many people don't want to buy used laptops mainly because they are afraid that it might be defective that's why they'd rather buy a brand new one which costs more. But for people who wants to save a lot, buying a second hand gadget is their main option. You can buy a second hand laptop in pristine condition and get it 30-40% below its original price which surely is an awesome deal.

7. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    No, I never bought any second-hand handsets that were technology-related. I prefer to always save more money to be able to buy something new and pay in cash (avoiding the use of credit cards).

8. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We just bought a brand new HP Notebook 348, our first brand new laptop. In the olden days, my father gave me a used laptop which was running okay but very slow. Even the booting takes more than 3 minutes. It did not last long because it delays my work. I think the used laptops now are quite good.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like brand new things, because electronics die so quickly. I don't know how to wipe clean electronics too, so I'd buy brand new. Though I do go to thrift shops to buy blouses or jeans, so much cheaper! I am not in any way a techie type of person so I need to have electronics with ease of use and working so I buy brand new.

10. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    When I was planning to get a new laptop in the winter of 2015, I discovered that the spec of the Hp made a laptop that I was planning to buy then would cost me close to #150000 which is quite expensive compared to the amount of money I have then for purchasing a new laptop. What I did was to ask a friend who is into laptop sales to help look out for a second hand of the same brand of Hp laptop or one close to it.

He gave me a reply two days later that he found a nice second hand Hp laptop, though not the brand I needed then, the brand got all the features I needed in the previous brand I was planning to buy. What amazed me was that the price was almost half of the money the brand new one cost and that made me wanted to back off, but my friend advised me to give it a try for he sees nothing wrong with the laptop.

I must confess that I enjoyed using the laptop and it is the current laptop I am using to type. it was a bargain for me for it is a strong laptop and one I can't think twice about buying next time the opportunity arises.

11. sommax

sommaxMember

Threads:
    I never care if its second hand or not, as long as the laptop is good and in a good shape. It's more cheaper that way for me.

12. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I bought one way back in 2013, a Lenovo Thinktank from an online site Gumtree for AU$95. The Australian and American dollars were almost at same price during that time but AU$ is almost 28% cheaper now. I received the laptop in almost okay condition but its battery was almost dead. However, the battery doesn't matter much as power supply is constant and outages are rare are pre-informed. I sold it for same amount on my return to my home country India.

13. Achraf

AchrafMember

Threads:
    why would i do that i will never buy a second hand to be honest as i always go for the new stuff to make sure it's never been opened or damaged from inside with the warrant at least you if anything happens you're safe , still my personal view of things as igot friends od mine buying laptops 2nd hand and it works perfectly.

14. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I did buy a second hand one. That time, My daughter needed a laptop and fast. So that is my resolution to that problem. Plus it was a good deal. By that time, a Notebook would cost $200++. I bought that Toshiba laptop for $100 and with all fully licensed Apps installed. It was a good 5 years after the day we bought the notebook and we have no complaints on how she works. It is still working till now. A bit slower but she was worth the buy.

15. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    For as long as I can have a bargain and possibly save a few cents, I will never hesitate to buy any second hand items at all. But of course I will not do it blindly, I will have to consider lots of things like the quality perhaps or how long have the gadget been used. And I will do a little background check of the person selling it if it were peer-to-peer and maybe the disposition of the shop, if complains and other policies are being employed like warranties and other stuff. It's hard to buy something and then just regret buying it in the end.

16. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't but I wouldn't be afraid to do so. You can get some good deals on laptops by buying them second hand. Some of them even have some of the warranties still attached to them so that is a plus. I do have a second hand laptop that is kind of a back up device for me. I do use that once in awhile.

17. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I have never bought a second hand laptop and I will never buy a second hand laptop. Even though a second hand laptop costs far less than the new laptop, it is not best value item. You never know what fauklt lies within the second hand laptop. What if you got this laptop for the half price, but you had to replace the hard disk becaus it crashed, you had to replace the cooling fan because it was not working, you had to replace the battery because it had no back up. When you add the money you soend on repairing, your second hand laptop will cost as much as the new one.

18. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I have not buy any second hand laptops or mobile phones as I am not sure they are reliable, perhaps unless I know the owner very well. I have the perspective that usually people would want to change the laptop when the one is not working well for them anymore. It can be the person really needs to higher end laptop and there is nothing wrong with the current one, but it might not be easy to find a good working used one. It's good that you have found the one that is working well for you!

19. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I just bought a second hand laptop about a month ago and it's almost like new. I love it and I'm glad I did as I saved about 70℅ from a totally new one. I had never bought a second hand device before as I was afraid it's performance would fail but now I'm glad I got guided by a person who knows about all that and helped me chose a great one.

20. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried buying a second hand laptop because I don't want to waste my money on something without a decent warranty or reliable quality. There are stores here that sell Japanese-made used laptops for as low as $110 which can be tempting to people who may need a laptop but have limited budget. I'd prefer to save up to buy a new laptop instead of taking a risk on used ones. I've had very bad experiences with used gadgets and I'd prefer to pay more to buy something with at least one year warranty and a reasonable assurance that it will last longer and have better specs.